PDA

View Full Version : Funniest quote I've heard at a game

Dogman_1969
10-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Last night at a JH game the ref's were not calling anything. A O-Lineman was litterally tackling our DE on every snap. Our coaches went on the field and talked to the ref's and pointed out exactly which one of our kids were being tackled. The very next play he was bear-hugged to the ground again right in front of the line judge. No Flag. Our coaches went ballistic!!!! The fans went Ballistic!!!

Then out of the clear blue one of our parents put it in perspective for everyone that was complaining. He said "If you won't cheat to win, then you don't want to win bad enough".

I just about died laughing. I guess you'd have to been there........

bulldogbark
10-28-2005, 07:27 AM
If you aint cheating your not trying, if you aint winnen your not cheating hard enough.:) :)

sweetwater07
10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Last night at a JH game the ref's were not calling anything. A O-Lineman was litterally tackling our DE on every snap. Our coaches went on the field and talked to the ref's and pointed out exactly which one of our kids were being tackled. The very next play he was bear-hugged to the ground again right in front of the line judge. No Flag. Our coaches went ballistic!!!! The fans went Ballistic!!!

Then out of the clear blue one of our parents put it in perspective for everyone that was complaining. He said "If you won't cheat to win, then you don't want to win bad enough".

thats crazy......we have had some refs like that......seemed like they were tigers in black and white stripes....hint hint.....lol j/k...but anywho thats amazing that refs like that can still keep their jobs!!!

XWylieMom
10-28-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't think there is enough money in this world to make me want to ref a Texas high school football game - someone is always yelling at you... be it the coaches - crowd... nope, I just wouldn't do it! I appreciate the ones that do...well the ones that can actually SEE what's happening <--if they can't then I feel obliged to let them know! hehehe

Whiskey Tough
10-28-2005, 08:48 AM
high school refs are the guys that got turned down at skinny's and wal-mart so they decided to be high school refs.

BULLRUSH
10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
One of my favorite quotes.." The fans want to coach, the coaches want to ref, and the refs want to watch the game."

44INAROW
10-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by BULLRUSH
One of my favorite quotes.." The fans want to coach, the coaches want to ref, and the refs want to watch the game."

Now that is a good one :clap: :clap:

Bullaholic
10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
One of my "favs" about refs came from Jerry Glanville several years ago during a game. Glanville thought a ref had blown a call, called him over to the sideline and said--"You see that "NFL" on your cap? That's stands for "Not For Long" when you make calls like that."

Dogman_1969
10-28-2005, 10:13 AM
I also remember the NFL quote. That was a classis as well as the one of the Chief's (I think) coach years ago telling his staff before the game that "I went to college with that ref". Then during the game he screams at the guy "Hey you over officise Jerk!!!".

Moments like these are priceless......

DaHop72
10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
One of my favorites "Hey Ref, you missing a good ballgame."

BMOC
10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
We were gettin killed one game, by the score and the other players. Our coach kept hollarin at the ref the entire game for all the calls going against us. Finally the ref turned and told him, "Coach, if you would do a better job doing yours instead of trying to do mine, I wouldn't have to throw this many flags."

Last time I ever saw that ref at one of my games.

District303aPastPlayer
10-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Believe it or not, some refs are actually loving their second job on friday night. My dad is in his 20th year, and every friday, he gets told what a great job he did by both coaches, which is something rare. Then during hte week, he rereads some of the obscure scenarios in teh rule book, and watches his game film and critiques himself... so not all of these guys fit the rep they have been given in this thread :)

Bullaholic
10-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Whiskey Tough
high school refs are the guys that got turned down at skinny's and wal-mart so they decided to be high school refs.

I think you've got your head where the sun don't shine most of the time, Whiskey.....how about a few non-degrading positive comments?

District303aPastPlayer
10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think you've got your head where the sun don't shine most of the time, Whiskey.....how about a few non-degrading positive comments?

thank you sir :)

jakarta101
10-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Best one ever...I swear....

"Hey ref, does your wife know that your screwin us...."

99IHSMustang
10-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jakarta101

That is pretty darn funny :clap:

garageoffice
10-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969

That whole story is unfortunate, but not that rare, especially at the JH level. The only thing worse, is trying to get good officiating for JH girls sports. I have an 8th grade daughter that plays volleyball and basketball, and the officiating is extremely inconsistent for both sports. Often it seems that refs that know the sport aren't sure how much to call at that level, while other refs are obviously learning the sport.

The real problem with the situation isn't even the win/loss or parent effects, but the results of such inconsistency on the players who are learning the game themselves. Players who are wrongfully penalized temporarily lose their aggression - their edge, while those who get away with wrong play repeatedly often struggle to adjust when the game is tightened up.

Case in point, most JH girls basketball I've seen has really gotten out of hand. The nature of the game has gotten much more aggressive, but the officials at the JH level usually only call the obvious or critical fouls because they could call something on virtually every trip down the court. One of the things that has become very common is a steal technique that involves basically running through the ball handler's arms and taking the ball away. There is almost always significant contact, but it is rarely called. One of the teams in our district had a girl that was very good at this type of steal, but near the end of a very close game to close out the season she stole the ball from our point guard this way and was called for a foul. Our girl went to the line and made two free throws. We eventually won the game by two points. The defensive player was very upset and so was her coach. She had been stealing the same way all night and it hadn't been called. Even though I had been yelling from the stands for most of the game that it should have been called, I still felt bad for her because she didn't understand that she really had been committing a foul all night (all season, really).

At the JH level, I think it's important that the officials contribute to the players' understanding of the game and the manner in which it is intended to be played. The best JH referees I've seen obviously come into a game with a standard in place for how they will call a JH game. Some, however, simply seem to show up and go through the motions.

Bullaholic
10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
In 96' Bridgeport went to play Pilot Point. The stands wouldn't hold all of the Bulls crowd, so I had to sit on the PP side. The first half of the game was fairly even, but into the 3rd quarter, the Bulls air-attack began to take over to the point that the Bulls were leading by about 4 TD's into the 4th Quarter. After the Bulls had scored about the 4th TD through the air, an old man, long-time PP fan stood up and yelled---"That's right, that's right---they can't play ball, they got to "throw" it." I thought I would die.

99IHSMustang
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
In 96' Bridgeport went to play Pilot Point. The stands wouldn't hold all of the Bulls crowd, so I had to sit on the PP side. The first half of the game was fairly even, but into the 3rd quarter, the Bulls air-attack began to take over to the point that the Bulls were leading by about 4 TD's into the 4th Quarter. After the Bulls had scored about the 4th TD through the air, an old man, long-time PP fan stood up and yelled---"That's right, that's right---they can't play ball, they got to "throw" it." I thought I would die.

:clap: :clap:

District303aPastPlayer
10-28-2005, 11:37 AM
that right there is funny

briefcase
10-28-2005, 11:51 AM
One of my favorite qoutes was when an announcer after watching a running back run for a long touchdown said "Now guys, he ran through them like mexican water through a 1st time tourist.

garageoffice
10-28-2005, 11:51 AM

That's SO funny! And SO Pilot Point, too.

AJ_2005
10-28-2005, 12:57 PM
thats flippin funny

BMOC
10-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Been to a couple of Pilot Point games myself, That is funny. Those fans yell the funniest crap I've heard at HS ball games.

XWylieMom
10-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Believe it or not, some refs are actually loving their second job on friday night. My dad is in his 20th year, and every friday, he gets told what a great job he did by both coaches, which is something rare. Then during hte week, he rereads some of the obscure scenarios in teh rule book, and watches his game film and critiques himself... so not all of these guys fit the rep they have been given in this thread :)

Hats off to your dad and thank God there are refs!

District303aPastPlayer
10-28-2005, 01:42 PM
we had a guy who, at every flag, yelled "Thats Procedure!!"

44INAROW
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Believe it or not, some refs are actually loving their second job on friday night.

My dad loved being a "ref" as well. He made some great friendships along the way. We used to give him a hard time about all the tape and braces he used on his knees and ankles. He called a playoff game in Kenedy on a Friday night in Nov 1993, watched Cuero beat Marble Falls in Austin on Saturday and died suddenly on Monday after teaching school. The guys in his officiating chapter (out of Victoria) brought us the game card that he used to mark stuff down on and the yellow flag he used that previous game. I have those items, along with his whistle and stop watch in a memory box. He'd be one of the first to say of officiating, as in any thing in life, you've got some good ones and you've got some bad ones. By the way, his funeral was @ 9 AM on the following Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.. We had a 2:00 game in San Marcos to get too :)

XWylieMom
10-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
My dad loved being a "ref" as well. He made some great friendships along the way. We used to give him a hard time about all the tape and braces he used on his knees and ankles. He called a playoff game in Kenedy on a Friday night in Nov 1993, watched Cuero beat Marble Falls in Austin on Saturday and died suddenly on Monday after teaching school. The guys in his officiating chapter (out of Victoria) brought us the game card that he used to mark stuff down on and the yellow flag he used that previous game. I have those items, along with his whistle and stop watch in a memory box. He'd be one of the first to say of officiating, as in any thing in life, you've got some good ones and you've got some bad ones. By the way, his funeral was @ 9 AM on the following Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.. We had a 2:00 game in San Marcos to get too :)

My hat is off to your dad! Sounds like a great man!!!

headhunter_75
11-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
thats crazy......we have had some refs like that......seemed like they were tigers in black and white stripes....hint hint.....lol j/k...but anywho thats amazing that refs like that can still keep their jobs!!!

There are ref's at football games??? Ive never seen'em

Adidas410s
11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I have never called football but have spent the past 4 years calling baseball and many of the perceptions about officials are way off. For starters...in any youth sports, they will always be bad coaches and bad officials...whether we are talking little league or high school games. That being said, the officials that get the bigger games have worked together for MANY years. Consider that in the Abilene chapter you have to have called for 3 full seasons before you can be considered for a playoff game. Your first year you call junior high on tuesday-thursday and then occassionally get a 6-man or 1A game on Friday. If you don't get one of those games you brought along to a 3A and up game to observe and then go over the game with the referee afterwards to make sure that they are comfortable with everything that went on. Once I get into my first "real job" I am considering joining up and trying out football for a few years...work related issues pending.

District303aPastPlayer
11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I have never called football but have spent the past 4 years calling baseball and many of the perceptions about officials are way off. For starters...in any youth sports, they will always be bad coaches and bad officials...whether we are talking little league or high school games. That being said, the officials that get the bigger games have worked together for MANY years. Consider that in the Abilene chapter you have to have called for 3 full seasons before you can be considered for a playoff game. Your first year you call junior high on tuesday-thursday and then occassionally get a 6-man or 1A game on Friday. If you don't get one of those games you brought along to a 3A and up game to observe and then go over the game with the referee afterwards to make sure that they are comfortable with everything that went on. Once I get into my first "real job" I am considering joining up and trying out football for a few years...work related issues pending.

in your first year, you may start off by standing on the sideline doing chains...

Adidas410s
11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
in your first year, you may start off by standing on the sideline doing chains...

in the regular season at least the chains are run by a group that the home team provides. Wylie gets their guys from World Gym...no wonder we win so much! :D

District303aPastPlayer
11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
in the regular season at least the chains are run by a group that the home team provides. Wylie gets their guys from World Gym...no wonder we win so much! :D

crazy, the CC Chapter provides an 8 man team... 5 on the field, and 3 on the chains... plus the clock man...

KingRob
11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
My mom is not into football, but years back she went to a Cuero game. Cuero scored a TD and when the crowd went wild she shouted to my dad, "Who hit the home run?" We still talk about it to this day!:D

TPlinebacker53
11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jakarta101

thats a good en right there

Astrosdawg07
11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
One of my "favs" about refs came from Jerry Glanville several years ago during a game. Glanville thought a ref had blown a call, called him over to the sideline and said--"You see that "NFL" on your cap? That's stands for "Not For Long" when you make calls like that."

The NFL Network always plays that one.

GreenMonster
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I think your Dad would be proud for his family to have made that game in San Marcos. That's where he would have been in life.