GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 03:13 PM
What's your prediction?

GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 03:16 PM
By the way folks, this game is tonight.

injuredinmelee
10-27-2005, 03:51 PM
i picked the huskies just to get your goat!!!
GO HAWKS!!!

Macarthur
10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Once again, as a Hawk fan, this game scares me.

I think Hirschi is improved even though they have nothing to show for it. They have some athletes at the skill position.

Ranger Mom
10-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
By the way folks, this game is tonight.

Why tonight?

injuredinmelee
10-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Once again, as a Hawk fan, this game scares me.

I think Hirschi is improved even though they have nothing to show for it. They have some athletes at the skill position.

back int he day they were a very very good 4A team. I know losing the City View kids didnt hurt them this much.

GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Why tonight?

There are 2 other high schools in Wichita Falls and a University that share Memorial Stadium. I guess Hirschi drew the short straw. Saturday is locked up by Midwestern State University and one of the other 2 high schools has Friday night.

Ranger Mom
10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
There are 2 other high schools in Wichita Falls and a University that share Memorial Stadium. I guess Hirschi drew the short straw. Saturday is locked up by Midwestern State University and one of the other 2 high schools has Friday night.

Oh, okay......Thanks!!

Hey GM....only 108 left to go!!

GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Oh, okay......Thanks!!

Hey GM....only 108 left to go!!

yep, slow and steady. Maybe I will get my Avatar by the playoffs.

Macarthur
10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
back int he day they were a very very good 4A team. I know losing the City View kids didnt hurt them this much.

You know, it a good question as to what happened at Hirschi. I suppose there many different variables, but you are right, there was a time when they were a force year in and year out in 4A.

injuredinmelee
10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I believe they went 10 straight years making the playoffs in 4A and that was when they only had two spots for each district. I also rememebr the fan brawl back in the late 80's during the JV/Frosh game when DO Wats got stabbed. That was a crazy crazy evening!

Macarthur
10-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I believe they went 10 straight years making the playoffs in 4A and that was when they only had two spots for each district. I also rememebr the fan brawl back in the late 80's during the JV/Frosh game when DO Wats got stabbed. That was a crazy crazy evening!

Gosh, I had really surpressed that memory. I hadn't thought about that in some time. That was crazy.

GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 04:49 PM
You know, it a good question as to what happened at Hirschi. I suppose there many different variables, but you are right, there was a time when they were a force year in and year out in 4A.

I think the loss of the City View kids combined with the Choice plan has really hurt Hirschi. The choice plan opened the door for the High School coaches to "recruit" the Jr Hi's for athletes. Old High was able to take advantage of this system first, now Rider seems to be winning the recruiting wars. Hirschi has not had a charismatic leader that the kids are drawn to since the Choice plan was instituted. I see a new head coach coming to the Huskies in the very near future. I also wouldn't be suprised if Old High's new coach wasn't on a short leash as well as he was hired very late in the year when the previous coach left this summer. Look for Rider to continue to crank out very good teams as Scott Ponder is a fantastic coach with a very magnetic personality.

VWG
10-27-2005, 09:00 PM
City View may have hurt Hirschi a little bit... but the killer blow was the Choice plan for WFISD.
You go back to the days when Rider, Old High, and Hirschi were drawn by boundaries and it's a whole new ball game. Hirschi was dominating, and Rider and Old High were 5A schools just trying to make the playoffs. Now, kids are transferring to Rider for football and baseball. WF High had a great run about 3 to 4 years ago when they had the oldest Henderson at QB, who then went on to QB the Rice Owls. Now, WF High is fighting for a winning season and Rider is tearing it up.
I hear that Rider has two freshman teams, a soph. team, and a JV team! Hirschi barely has enough kids for a JV, and that's a school with 899 kids enrolled last count.
It's sad to see WFISD in the state it's in now. (Unless you're a ROHO supporter)
Talk has circulated about making one high school in Wichita Falls... which would make a 5A school of about 3,500 kids.
It won't fly though. There has also been talk about athletics being dropped at Hirschi and just making it a "magnet" or "arts & technology" school. Whatever the outcome.... I wish Hirschi could get back on its feet and restore some of the glory days they used to enjoy.

GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 10:43 PM
ttt

injuredinmelee
10-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by VWG
City View may have hurt Hirschi a little bit... but the killer blow was the Choice plan for WFISD.
You go back to the days when Rider, Old High, and Hirschi were drawn by boundaries and it's a whole new ball game. Hirschi was dominating, and Rider and Old High were 5A schools just trying to make the playoffs. Now, kids are transferring to Rider for football and baseball. WF High had a great run about 3 to 4 years ago when they had the oldest Henderson at QB, who then went on to QB the Rice Owls. Now, WF High is fighting for a winning season and Rider is tearing it up.
I hear that Rider has two freshman teams, a soph. team, and a JV team! Hirschi barely has enough kids for a JV, and that's a school with 899 kids enrolled last count.
It's sad to see WFISD in the state it's in now. (Unless you're a ROHO supporter)
Talk has circulated about making one high school in Wichita Falls... which would make a 5A school of about 3,500 kids.
It won't fly though. There has also been talk about athletics being dropped at Hirschi and just making it a "magnet" or "arts & technology" school. Whatever the outcome.... I wish Hirschi could get back on its feet and restore some of the glory days they used to enjoy.

I am in love with the one high school idea for towns the size of Wichita Falls and Abilene.

PlayaJBiehl20
10-28-2005, 01:05 PM
WFH will not pull the upset. IP will win this one big. I think that IP is playing pretty good now and the win against Vernon boosted their confidence.

injuredinmelee
10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
WFH will not pull the upset. IP will win this one big. I think that IP is playing pretty good now and the win against Vernon boosted their confidence.

psssst they played last night.. IP won

Macarthur
10-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I am in love with the one high school idea for towns the size of Wichita Falls and Abilene.

I'm with you on this one. I think WF would be a powerhouse again. I don't think the politics of the city would ever allow that to happen, but it would be interesting to see the economics. You would think it would make sense financially to only have to keep one HS open instead of 3.

GreenMonster
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm with you on this one. I think WF would be a powerhouse again. I don't think the politics of the city would ever allow that to happen, but it would be interesting to see the economics. You would think it would make sense financially to only have to keep one HS open instead of 3.

Not only facilitywise but salarywise this would be a good move. Eleiminate 2 Principals salaries and what do you come up with? I have no ide how many Vice Principals WFISD uses but you can at the least eliminate 2 more salaries there, custodians, lunch ladies, security guards. Good grief they could probably eliminate millions from their payroll by consolidating the 3 high schools down to 1, the 4 jr highs down to 1 or 2, and they have like 12 or 13 elementary schools. Jeepers thats a lot of scratch WFISD is wasting. Not only that but the schools are falling apart and they can't win a bond election to raise more capital to pay for new construction. Maybe if they would go with this route and highlight the savings involved the voters would go for it.

injuredinmelee
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
that is the idea Abilene is fighting right now. It has already been voted down once in a bond election but the school board of AISD is really pushing for it. Combining Abilene High and Cooper im all for. I knwo Victoria did it a few years ago. they havent seen the athletic results they thought they would but financially it has been a boon.

Macarthur
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Not only facilitywise but salarywise this would be a good move. Eleiminate 2 Principals salaries and what do you come up with? I have no ide how many Vice Principals WFISD uses but you can at the least eliminate 2 more salaries there, custodians, lunch ladies, security guards. Good grief they could probably eliminate millions from their payroll by consolidating the 3 high schools down to 1, the 4 jr highs down to 1 or 2, and they have like 12 or 13 elementary schools. Jeepers thats a lot of scratch WFISD is wasting. Not only that but the schools are falling apart and they can't win a bond election to raise more capital to pay for new construction. Maybe if they would go with this route and highlight the savings involved the voters would go for it.

Makes sense to me, but again, that's a very political city with a very small power base and they control everything. I think it would have a hard time passing.

handNthedirt
10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I think the loss of the City View kids combined with the Choice plan has really hurt Hirschi. The choice plan opened the door for the High School coaches to "recruit" the Jr Hi's for athletes. Old High was able to take advantage of this system first, now Rider seems to be winning the recruiting wars. Hirschi has not had a charismatic leader that the kids are drawn to since the Choice plan was instituted. I see a new head coach coming to the Huskies in the very near future. I also wouldn't be suprised if Old High's new coach wasn't on a short leash as well as he was hired very late in the year when the previous coach left this summer. Look for Rider to continue to crank out very good teams as Scott Ponder is a fantastic coach with a very magnetic personality.

Ponder is awesome! I played for him and Coach Gar at MSU...Castles and Meng were teammates and are good friends.