PDA

View Full Version : Single Playoff Site?

Bullaholic
10-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Been a while since we "kicked" this one around. Would you like a single "big" site like Texas Staduim or the Alamodome, or others if these are busy, for multiple later-round 3A playoff games such as they have in 5A?

Phil C
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
The best one is Javelina Stadium in Kingsville. It is a large stadium with pleanty of parking. Plus there are lots of hotels and motels there and if they are full Corpus Christi is less than an hour away. Pleanty of good eating places in Kingsvill and since it is in South Texas the odds of having good weather there are much higher than most of the rest of the state.

District303aPastPlayer
10-27-2005, 01:44 PM
ALAMODOME... its the best for a High School playoff game in Region IV in the semis and finals :)

3afan
10-27-2005, 01:45 PM
never mind

Phil C
10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
ALAMODOME... its the best for a High School playoff game in Region IV in the semis and finals :)

The trouble with the Alamo Dome is that it favors the team with speed. That was the reason we lost to Cuero there last year.

District303aPastPlayer
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The trouble with the Alamo Dome is that it favors the team with speed. That was the reason we lost to Cuero there last year.

and grass would favor the team that isnt that fast... give and take... but i would rather sit in the alamodome all day and not get baked

lostaussie
10-27-2005, 01:51 PM
The trouble with the Alamo Dome is that it favors the team with speed.

good place to play then!!!!!!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Dang the Alamo Dome for being so biased. :D

Bullaholic
10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I was with you, 3AFan and was about to reply before you pulled the post. I like a big site for playoff games because you never have to worry about SRO or parking and there are lots of places nearby for anything you need. Plus, it seems like the large venues with the turf make it seem all that more special to the players. It's also better for ardent HS football fans---they get to see a lot of the teams play they have only "heard" about.

Phil C
10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Plus not a lot of parking at the Alamo Dome.

ro_tex_solja
10-27-2005, 02:07 PM

oh yeah.....what about the fact we dominated yall in every aspect of the game last year in the playoffs...our linemen dominated yalls linemen every gobbler position dominated a pirate position....that was the best complete game we played last year and im glad it was against sinton

District303aPastPlayer
10-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Plus not a lot of parking at the Alamo Dome.

their parking lot is as big as pirate blvd. there is PLENTY of parking there :) i park at sunset station... and lets not turn this into a cuero/sinton thread...

btw... i saw one of the greatest games i have ever seen at the dome... Midland high vs Judson :)

3afan
10-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I was with you, 3AFan and was about to reply before you pulled the post. I like a big site for playoff games because you never have to worry about SRO or parking and there are lots of places nearby for anything you need. Plus, it seems like the large venues with the turf make it seem all that more special to the players. It's also better for ardent HS football fans---they get to see a lot of the teams play they have only "heard" about.

my reply didnt really address your question - for some reason I addressed the central site for state championships issue ... had to go to a meeting & didnt have time to fix it so i just nixed it.

but, i have attended many triple headers at texas stadium that were a combination of 2A, 3A, 4A and/or 5A. Those are great. i like the smaller schools 'cause you can get a better seat & traffic is not as bad.

you said "such as they have in 5A". I dont think its a 4A/5A or any A thing - its each school working specifically with the venue ... just so happens I think that the bigger venues, and more expensive ones, are the choice of the bigger, wealthier schools/ISDs.

a problem with a triple header, or even a double header, at a place like Javelina Stadium - or at most college/HS stadiums - is locker room space. You gotta have at least 4 locker rooms to do a double header.

GreenMonster
10-27-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm not real big on the UIL selecting the site where games are to be played. That having been said, I really like the idea of A single venue for all Title games. I like that hoops is centralized in the Frank Irwin Center, Track and Field at the UT facility and the Baseball State Tourney in and around Austin. I think the crowds for these games would be much larger were they all to be held in one location. One game Friday night followed by 4 games on Saturday. Another thing that I wish would happen is that Title games be moved all around the state instead of in Austin only.

Bullaholic
10-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
my reply didnt really address your question - for some reason I addressed the central site for state championships issue ... had to go to a meeting & didnt have time to fix it so i just nixed it.

but, i have attended many triple headers at texas stadium that were a combination of 2A, 3A, 4A and/or 5A. Those are great. i like the smaller schools 'cause you can get a better seat & traffic is not as bad.

you said "such as they have in 5A". I dont think its a 4A/5A or any A thing - its each school working specifically with the venue ... just so happens I think that the bigger venues, and more expensive ones, are the choice of the bigger, wealthier schools/ISDs.

a problem with a triple header, or even a double header, at a place like Javelina Stadium - or at most college/HS stadiums - is locker room space. You gotta have at least 4 locker rooms to do a double header.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, 3AFan---you laid it out just like I was thinking----it is more fun to have multiple playoff games involving multiple classes at a central site, and not just for the finals. Just wish we could spread them out a little more where we had more of them---that way we all could see more teams play during the playoffs and be able to form better opinions.