PDA

View Full Version : Palestine @ Palestine Westwood

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Westwood prepares for rivalry game

10-26-05
By MICHAEL S. ADAMS
H-P Sports Writer

Westwood coaches have an interesting task this week.

According to head coach Shane Jones, when Palestine comes into Panther Stadium Friday, it will be just another district game.

Jones, however, said he knows that it is more than that to his players.

“As coaches, we try not to make anymore out of it than just another game,” he said. “We are not doing anything different in the way of preparations.

“We are not trying to hype it up. We are going to prepare for it like any other game and hope we go out and do our best and execute our game plan.

“There shouldn't have to be any pep talks.”

After Friday's 56-7 thrashing of Huntington, coaches got ready to prepare for Friday's game against cross-town rival Palestine Saturday morning. Jones said during his athletic period Monday, he did not see any difference in the way his team was preparing.

“They didn't do anything different than they have done in past weeks,” Jones said.

This will be the second meeting between the two schools, but this year more is at stake for the Panthers.

The road to the playoffs for Westwood goes through the Wildcats. The Panthers are in a must-win situation in each of their final two district games if they want to make the playoffs. Westwood could place themselves in a tie with the Wildcats with a win.

“We don't mention playoffs,” Jones said. “If you take care of each week the playoffs will come to you. If we were 3-0 in district, you might talk about playoffs.”

For the players involved, Friday's game pits players from both teams that have grown up with each other. Most of the players Friday have played with and against each other in youth football and summer programs.

“If you win you get bragging rights for the whole year,” Jones said. “It will be a huge win to beat a cross-town rival.

“It is on the kids' mind, but as a coach you have to look at it as just another game.”

There has been a list of controversy surrounding the game. Palestine running back Paul Kennedy transferred to Palestine at the end of the 2004 school year. Westwood officials cried foul, but Kennedy was declared eligible before a district committee.

Another form of controversy surrounding the game was about where the game would be played. Unlike in Tyler or other metropolitan areas, Westwood and Palestine do not share a stadium. Jones points out none of the other schools are being asked to change district games.

“There are things at home you cannot get at a neutral site,” he said. “There are the rituals, being familiar with your surroundings and your fans. There aren't any other district games being moved.

“It is no different than Palestine playing in Crockett a week ago.”

Tickets went on sale Monday for Friday's game scheduled to kickoff at 7:30 p.m. at Panther Stadium.

Kennedy set to play former team

10-26-05
By SCOTT TYLER
H-P Sports Editor

Paul Kennedy knows what it is like to play at Westwood's Panther Stadium, but come Friday night it will be completely different for the Palestine running back.

After transferring from Westwood to Palestine after the end of the 2004 football season, Kennedy will be back at Westwood Friday to play on the field and against a team which he called home for the last three years.

“I have been looking forward to this game,” the Palestine senior said. “I have not talked to too many (Westwood players), I do not want to say anything until after the game.”

Kennedy, who had gone to Westwood since kindergarten, had played on the Panther varsity team as a sophomore and junior. In his junior campaign, the bruising running back made a name for himself within the district as he rushed for 1,185 yards on 174 carries and 11 touchdowns.

After the end of the 2004 football season, Kennedy moved with his grandmother into Palestine's school district and Kennedy transferred to Palestine High School.

Westwood High School officials contested that Kennedy transferred for athletic purposes, which would have been a violation of University Interscholastic League rules.

In August, the ruling was set before the District 21-3A executive committee and the six superintendents voted unanimously in favor of Palestine.

In his first year as a Wildcat, Kennedy has become one of Palestine's many weapons on offense. The senior tailback has rushed for 491 yards on 87 carries, averaging 5.64 yards a carry. He also has scored eight touchdowns, which ties him for the team high.

“He has been a big surprise,” Palestine head coach Glen Tunstall said. “He is a great kid, who works hard and is fun to be around.”

Palestine running back coach Jamie Driskell remembers seeing Kennedy as a sophomore, when Driskell was coaching for Crockett.

“I remember he was a big strong kid who was hard to bring down,” Driskell said. “He has improved 100 percent since then and has become an all-around player.

“His stats do not show how valuable he has been to this team.”

The Palestine coaching staff also saw Kennedy before he was in a Wildcat jersey, as he played against Palestine last year. Even after seeing him, there were still some surprises in store for the coaches when Kennedy joined Palestine.

“We knew that he was a true power back but I was very surprised how good his feet are,” Tunstall said.

Kennedy showed Palestine his power ability in the Wildcats' first game when the running back scored three touchdown, all for 3 yards or less as he bull dozed his way into the end zone each time.

“He is the type of back that when you give him the ball, he is going to get 3 or 4 yards every time,” Palestine offensive coordinator Tommy Allison said.

Early in the non-district schedule, Kennedy suffered a thigh bruise, which limited his action.

“I think the injury really hampered him and he did not get back near full strength until the start of district,” Driskell said.

Even though he was slowed by the injury, Kennedy did get to see some quality teams during those first four games, including a pair of 4A teams, Henderson and Jacksonville - teams he never faced while playing at Westwood.

“It was different playing those teams but it made me work hard,” Kennedy said. “It was good experience.”

Once District 21-3A play started, Kennedy was back in his comfort zone and getting to full strength.

Against Rusk, Kennedy became the first Palestine running back to surpass the century mark with 101 yards and a touchdown. The following week, against Diboll, Kennedy touched the ball only five times but gained a season-high 123 yards and scored twice.

“I felt comfortable going against Rusk and Diboll because I faced them last year,” Kennedy said.

Driskell said one of the reasons for Kennedy's success at the start of district was that the running back was starting to get a better grasp of the Palestine offense.

“He finally figured out our zone scheme and is running down hill, making one cut and getting 4 or 5 yards,” Driskell said. “Early in the year he was trying to dance and score on every play but now he has figured out our system.”

After being the focal point in Westwood's run attack last year, Kennedy has had to take on a new role with Palestine as one of three running backs.

“It has been great, I really like it how it is,” Kennedy said. “We are each other's biggest fans and like to see each other succeed.”

Kennedy shares time in the backfield with senior Trevlyn Reed and junior Montrell Johnson.

“He has adjusted well and has become a total team player,” Driskell said. “I think all three have pushed each other to become better backs.”

Driskell said the biggest improvement for Kennedy has been in run and pass blocking.

“You judge a back with how good he is without the ball and Paul's pass blocking and run blocking has been great,” the Palestine running back coach said. “He has learned from his mistakes and you could not ask any more of him.”

Now the Palestine coaches hope Kennedy can help them against his old team.

“I know he is going to be excited,” Tunstall said. “He is going to be in the other dressing room and sideline for the first time.”

And then with a laugh he added, “I just need to make sure he dresses in maroon and white and not orange and white.”

andy_dufresne
10-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I think the Palestine paper does a great job at reporting details on the two schools. Hats off to them. Sometimes the newspaper guys don't get the credit they deserve. Good articles on the two Palestine schools.

Bearkat
10-27-2005, 11:28 AM
What's the story about the site of the game? Was it scheduled for one site, then changed? Just wondering.

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Panther Stadium seats only about 2,500 people, while Wildcat Stadium seats 10,000.

Last years game at Wildcat Stadium sold out the Monday before the game. Playing the game at Westwood would deprive most of the fans from seeing the game, so Palestine offered to give Westwood the home side and the ticket sales is they would move the game to Palestine HS. It has been figured that if Westwood has done that they would make more money off this one game than all of their other home games put together. But they decided to keep the game at their own stadium.

mwynn05
10-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Panther Stadium seats only about 2,500 people, while Wildcat Stadium seats 10,000.

Last years game at Wildcat Stadium sold out the Monday before the game. Playing the game at Westwood would deprive most of the fans from seeing the game, so Palestine offered to give Westwood the home side and the ticket sales is they would move the game to Palestine HS. It has been figured that if Westwood has done that they would make more money off this one game than all of their other home games put together. But they decided to keep the game at their own stadium. After the 1st time the 2 played why would anyone wanna go watch it...we all know what's going to happen

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Everyone in Palestine wants to see it, this is just the 2nd ever meeting of the two schools from the same town. I do think they should always play the game at Wildcat stadium so they can 1) allow 10,000+ people to see it and 2) make a lot of money. The basketball game draws way too many people for either school to handle, both meetings last year were played at Lon Morris College in Jacksonville.

mwynn05
10-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Everyone in Palestine wants to see it, this is just the 2nd ever meeting of the two schools from the same town. I do think they should always play the game at Wildcat stadium so they can 1) allow 10,000+ people to see it and 2) make a lot of money. The basketball game draws way too many people for either school to handle, both meetings last year were played at Lon Morris College in Jacksonville. I know I used tolive about 30 miles from there closest movie theatre etc. Im just making a point that it willbe a massacre. Fairfield could handle the basketball game....

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I know I used tolive about 30 miles from there closest movie theatre etc. Im just making a point that it willbe a massacre. Fairfield could handle the basketball game....

Does Fairfield's gym really seat 8000+ people?

mwynn05
10-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Does Fairfield's gym really seat 8000+ people? no but neither does lon morris

eagles_victory
10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Does Fairfield's gym really seat 8000+ people?
There is no way on Earth Lon Morris seats even close to 8000 people.

mwynn05
10-27-2005, 06:32 PM
heres a picture http://www.lonmorris.edu/nControl/bgimage.php?id=130&border=1
eh it wont post for some reason

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Im sure it seats a good 5k, what does Fairfield need with that big of a gym?

mwynn05
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
We've pretty much packed it up

eagles_victory
10-27-2005, 08:12 PM
It's built to host playoff games and stuff. The Mexia home game and maybe a few games in our tournament are the only time it fills up in the regular season. I kind of like the small 750 seat gym that is packed for 3a basketball like Mexia has but it is nice.

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Theres not even 5k people in Fairfield, if they can pack the gym thats an accomplishment. Palestine needs to build them a state of the art 8,000 seat arena. Theres seats less than 2000 so its standing room only already by the start of the JV game, but its a wild atmosphere with that many people pack in there, one of the main reason Palestine almost never loses at home and have been a 4A east texas powerhouse for the better part of the last 20 years.

mwynn05
10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Theres not even 5k people in Fairfield, if they can pack the gym thats an accomplishment. Palestine needs to build them a state of the art 8,000 seat arena. Theres seats less than 2000 so its standing room only already by the start of the JV game, but its a wild atmosphere with that many people pack in there, one of the main reason Palestine almost never loses at home and have been a 4A east texas powerhouse for the better part of the last 20 years. I wanna see fairfield and palestine play this year we played them early in the yera last year and lost at the end of the year i think it would have been a TOTALLY different game

texasjeremy
10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Palestine focusing on playoffs not rivalry

10-27-05
By SCOTT TYLER
H-P Sports Editor

For Palestine head coach Glen Tunstall, Friday night's game at Westwood is not about playing the cross-town rival, but it is about the bigger picture - making the playoffs - and he is trying to relay that message to his players.

“I have been expressing all week to our kids that this game is for a playoff spot,” Tunstall said. “For us, it is our first playoff game.”

Palestine is in control of its own fate but must have to go through Westwood Friday night to reach the playoffs. The game is set to kickoff at 7:30 p.m. at Panther Stadium.

A loss to the Panthers would force Palestine to have to win its finale against Huntington and hope that Diboll could defeat Westwood.

“We are letting our players know the importance of this game is bigger than just a rivalry,” Tunstall said. “Right now we hold our own destiny in our hands.”

Playing across town will allow Palestine to treat part of the game as a home game. The Wildcat players will dress at Palestine High School and the coaches' will hold the team meetings before getting on the bus and going over to Panther Stadium about 6 p.m.

“We do not want to get over there and get caught up in a lot of stuff,” Tunstall said. “We want to be prepared when we get there and hopefully it will make the kids feel more comfortable.”

Tunstall also is cautious about having to go to the visiting lookerroom at Panther Stadium, which is across Chism Drive at the Westwood Junior High. With the expected crowd for the game, the walk across Chism Drive could become a problem for the Wildcats.

“It does bother me a little bit having to cross the street but there will be security there when we go off the field and come back onto the field,” Tunstall said. “Hopefully Westwood will have the stadium well secured.”

Palestine (2-1, 5-2) is coming off a disappointing 35-19 loss at Crockett Friday night where the Wildcats struggled in all three phases - offense, defense, and special teams - of the game.

Palestine quarterback Devin Stephens injured his ankle early in the game and by the start of the third quarter, he was on the sideline, out of pads, watching the rest of the game.

Stephens practiced Wednesday, but the Palestine coaches are preparing Friday to go with backup quarterback Jacobi Jackson, who rushed for 62 yards and passed for 64 yards against Crockett.

“Right now we are planning on going with Jacobi and Devin will be a game-time decision,” Tunstall said.

Jackson, who was the JV starting quarterback last year for Palestine, has been taking the majority of snaps during practice this week.

“Devin knows the offense so if he plays he will be more than prepared,” Palestine offensive coordinator Tommy Allison said. “This gives us a chance to get Jacobi some more snaps.”

Allison said there will not be a change in the offensive game plan depending on which quarterback plays.

“We are going to have a balanced attack and take what the defense gives us,” Allison said. “We believe Jacobi can do all the things that Devin is able to do.”

Both Tunstall and Allison said the biggest change on offense needs to be the elimination of penalties. Against Crockett, Palestine had 70 penalty yards and for the season, the Wildcats have committed 358 yards in penalties.

The penalties have been even bigger inside the opponent's 30-yard line. Against Crockett, Palestine had two potential scoring drives dissolve because of penalties inside the 30-yard line.

“We have been putting ourselves in good positions and then hurting ourselves with penalties,” Allison said. “We just need to focus that much harder.”

For the Palestine defense, the biggest problem has been allowing the big plays. Crockett took advantage of the Wildcats' Achilles heel and scored three touchdowns of over 50 yards Friday night.

On the season, Palestine has allowed 26 plays for over 25 yards, including 14 plays for 50 yards. Opposing teams have not been able to put together long drives against the Wildcat defense, but those offenses have been able to score off the big plays.

Of the 23 touchdowns allowed by Palestine, 17 have been for more than 25 yards and 12 of those for more than 50 yards.

The elimination of the big plays may need to start on the Palestine defensive line, whose job it is to take care of the offensive line and not allow the Palestine linebackers to get stopped.

“We need to stay low, take on the blockers and not get driven out of the play,” Palestine defensive line coach Kevin Anderson said. “We have to stymie the offensive linemen so our linebackers can make the plays.”

Palestine will be without defensive back Lester Anderson, who hurt his ankle and knee against Crockett. Anderson is tied with a team-high three interceptions.

“We are going to have to have other kids step up,” Palestine secondary coach Jim French said. “We have guys itching to get in and we should not see a drop off.”

One of the surprises for French this year has been the play of defensive back Chrys Davis, who was a transfer from Crockett at the beginning of the year.

“Chrys is doing a great job,” French said. “We did not know how he would adjust to our defense but he has been doing well.”

Kasee Brown also will be one of the primary defensive backs for Palestine while Trevlyn Reed also worked at the position during practice this week.

Palestine also can go to Kevin Swanson, who saw time against Crockett on defense, but French calls that the “emergency situation.”

“Kevin is so valuable on offense, that we will not go to him unless we have to,” French said.

Notes: Palestine defeated Westwood 51-18 last year as Reed rushed for a season-high 138 yards and two touchdowns. Palestine's Leon Mickens had 136 receiving yards and two touchdowns in the win. ...Stephens went 44 passing attempts before throwing his fourth interception of the season on the opening possession against Crockett. His last interception was on the final play of the game against Henderson, Palestine's third game of the season.

eagles_victory
10-27-2005, 08:22 PM
I hope the Palestine guys can stay out of trouble for basketball this year. I like there coach I hated to see what happened to them last year.

lele8907
10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Im a varisty cheerleader at palestine... and I totally agree that we should have the game at our stadium... its going to be soo chaotic tomorrow!!:) :)

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 08:38 AM
I wanna see fairfield and palestine play this year we played them early in the yera last year and lost at the end of the year i think it would have been a TOTALLY different game

Yep, the fact Palestine was missing something like 4 starters at the end of the year, causing them to limp into the playoffs (after starting the year as a state title contender), probably would have made it a totally different game. Is Palestine going back to the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce Tournament this year?

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Coates, Westwood excited about rivalry game

10-27-05
By MICHAEL S. ADAMS
H-P Sports Writer

When the Palestine Wildcats come into Friday's game at Panther Stadium, it's already going to be special for the city of Palestine.

It will be even more special for Westwood wide receiver Tyler Coates.

Coates watched from the sideline last year as Palestine defeated Westwood 51-18 at Wildcat Stadium. The junior sat out all of the 2004 season after having ankle surgery to relieve pain. His rehabilitation was not complete until April.

“I'm excited,” Coates said. “I know most of the kids on the other side of the ball and have grown up with them.

“It would mean a lot to win because it gives us bragging rights, but more importantly it gives us a shot at the playoffs.”

During the offseason, Coates spent his offseason working out and running. He said his effort during the summer has allowed him to get to where he is this season. Coates played five games as a freshman, prior to missing the 2004 season, at corner back and wide receiver.

Jones said this is the first year Coates has been a part of the Panther football team and not felt any pain.

“He's got good athletic ability and size,” Jones said. “He moves well and he worked hard to get where he is.”

The 6-foot-2, 180 pound junior is the team's leading receiver this season. He has became quarterback Gralyn Crawford's favorite target with 33 receptions for 460 yards and three touchdowns. Jones said a combination of size, strength and Coates' ability to run good routes has made him a good receiver.

“He's a big target and is physical and strong,” Jones said. “He's got good hands and is the type of receiver that if you get it close to him, he will catch it.

“He hasn't dropped very many balls all season thrown close to him.”

Coates said his relationship with Crawford and other players on the team has made it possible for him to do the things he has done this season.

“It all starts with a good relationship with your quarterback,” he said. “I feel like I can beat most cornerbacks because of my size, but if Gralyn thinks he can get 15 yards on his own, I'd rather him do that than try to throw the ball down field.”

Coates and Crawford will have a tough challenge this week against a fast Wildcat defense. Jones said Palestine's speed on the defensive side and its 7-man front defensive alignment poses a concern.

“They are very aggressive and fast,” he said. “This will be probably the fastest defense we have played.

“Our offensive line is a big key for us this weekend and they are going to have to open up some holes or give Gralyn time to throw the ball in order for us to move the ball.”

Jones said he feels his wide receivers match up well with the Wildcat secondary. He said he would like his offense to control the tempo of the game and keep Palestine's high-powered offense off the field.

“Leon (Mickens) is their go-to receiver,” Jones said. “He is a deep-ball threat and we have got to be aware of where he is on the field.

“We feel like our secondary can match his speed, but coming from an offensive coach the defensive guy is always at a disadvantage because you don't know where he will go.”

Westwood prepared all week as if Palestine quarterback Devin Stephens was healthy, despite Stephens leaving Friday's game at Crockett with a high ankle sprain.

“Our kids would play this game with a broken leg,” Jones said. “I am sure he will be ready come Friday.”

Jones hopes the emotion of the game Friday can turn into intensity. Jones said he knows its a big deal to the kids and the community, but does not want the emotion to get the best of his team.

“There's going to be a lot of emotion,” Jones said. “We are not scared of them, but you can get the emotion knocked out of you early.

“If we can turn the emotion into intensity that will stay with you for four quarters.”

As for Coates, whether it is intensity or emotion, he is ready to play Friday .

“No one expects us to win,” he said. “We are going to put on a good showing and if we win its going to be huge for us.”

mwynn05
10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Yep, the fact Palestine was missing something like 4 starters at the end of the year, causing them to limp into the playoffs (after starting the year as a state title contender), probably would have made it a totally different game. Is Palestine going back to the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce Tournament this year? And the fact our team would have played more than 4 varsity games we got a lot better Even with your whole team it would have been different. They might be in the tourney I dono... Fairfield is picked as a state title contender this year. And if anyone besides people in Plaestine thought they were a state title contender why weren;t they ever ranked?

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Palestine lost their ranking last year when they started to self destruct, they weren't a very good team anymore by the time the playoffs rolled around.

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 12:38 PM
And the fact our team would have played more than 4 varsity games we got a lot better Even with your whole team it would have been different. They might be in the tourney I dono... Fairfield is picked as a state title contender this year. And if anyone besides people in Plaestine thought they were a state title contender why weren;t they ever ranked?

You say your team had only played 4 varsity games, but Palestine had only played 3 at the same time and beat Fairfield by 18, the Fairfield Tournament was their first action, they had only had 1 practice prior to the start of the tournament, because everyone of the basketball players were on the football team, and the football team got to the state final four.

mwynn05
10-28-2005, 12:43 PM
You say your team had only played 4 varsity games, but Palestine had only played 3 at the same time and beat Fairfield by 18, the Fairfield Tournament was their first action, they had only had 1 practice prior to the start of the tournament, because everyone of the basketball players were on the football team, and the football team got to the state final four. At the same time your team wasn't sophomores and to be honest we played like crap we played a MUCH better Killeen team a lot better later in the day...We went from 7-5 to 20-8 and the 3 losses were to top 5 Mexia and #1 at the time Manor all in close games

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Our team is never sophomores what the point, we have enough students, we don't rebuild, we reload.

mwynn05
10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I guess you will have to see this years team to see the imporvement...afterall it's pretty much the same team

eagle2
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Arrogant, arrogant, arrogant . Everything I read from Texasjeremy is always saying how good Palestine is at everything. He has the mentality of a person who always has a better story than the one he was told. He always tries to top everthing posted on the board.

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by eagle2
Arrogant, arrogant, arrogant . Everything I read from Texasjeremy is always saying how good Palestine is at everything. He has the mentality of a person who always has a better story than the one he was told. He always tries to top everthing posted on the board.

Examples?

eagle2
10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Maybe I misqouted myself. What I mean't to say was excuses,excuses,excuses. Tell me this, Why did Crockett beat Palestine this year? Why did Rusk beat Palestine last year?

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Maybe I misqouted myself. What I mean't to say was excuses,excuses,excuses. Tell me this, Why did Crockett beat Palestine this year? Why did Rusk beat Palestine last year?

Are you saying if a team loses during the regular season, they don't have a chance to make noise in the playoffs? Im not that worried about it considering after they lost at Rusk, they made a serious state title run.

eagle2
10-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Never said that at all. Tell me, Why did your team lose to Crockett this year and Rusk last year? Hey, I thought your team should have beaten Cuero, I was pulling for your team. Answer my question please?

texasjeremy
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Never said that at all. Tell me, Why did your team lose to Crockett this year and Rusk last year? Hey, I thought your team should have beaten Cuero, I was pulling for your team. Answer my question please?

What do you want me to say? Rusk and Crockett have more talent?

eagle2
10-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Heck no! Palestine being the biggest 3a in the state has the most talent. Anything less than a State Championship should be an embarrasment for them.

PHS Wildcats
10-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I wasn't at last year's Rusk game, so I'm going to comment on that game. This year's Crocket game. Crocket came out and played a great game. They were more aggressive than Palestine. More talent, no, but Crocket executed they game plan and kept Palestine off balance. Dose that answer your question?