PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Coach: "Afro-American kids run very well"

Keith7
10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
DeBerry cites lack of minority players for struggles
Associated Press

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Air Force coach Fisher DeBerry, expressing frustration Tuesday with the Falcons' slumping performance, attributed the latest loss in part to No. 20 TCU's having more black players who "can run very, very well."

DeBerry, in his 22nd year at the Air Force Academy, first mentioned the academy's lack of minority players compared to other schools while talking to reporters Monday.

He said Air Force needed to recruit faster players. "We were looking at things, like you don't see many minority athletes in our program," DeBerry told The Gazette of Colorado Springs.

When questioned about the remarks during his weekly luncheon Tuesday, the coach didn't hesitate to elaborate.

"It just seems to be that way, that Afro-American kids can run very, very well. That doesn't mean that Caucasian kids and other descents can't run, but it's very obvious to me they run extremely well," DeBerry said in remarks first broadcast Tuesday night by KWGN-TV in Denver.

Academy officials released a statement saying they were aware of the remarks.

"We cannot comment further until we have a chance to review all the reports, the coach's actual statements and to speak with the coach personally," academy spokesman Lt. Col Laurent Fox said.

DeBerry, 67, is the winningest coach in service academy history with an overall record of 161-94-1. He has led 17 teams to winning seasons and 12 have captured bowl titles.

This season, though, the Falcons are struggling. DeBerry is facing the prospect of consecutive losing seasons for the first time since becoming coach in 1984.

Air Force lost 48-10 to TCU Saturday, dropping to 3-5 overall and 2-4 in the Mountain West Conference.

DeBerry found himself at the center of a controversy last year, too. He hung a banner in the locker room that read in part "I am a member of Team Jesus Christ" a day after the academy's superintendent announced the school would do more to fight religious intolerance.

The coach also dropped his traditional pre- and post-game prayers.

Claims that chaplains and some academy leaders impose their conservative Christian beliefs on others prompted an investigation by the Air Force, which concluded there was no overt religious discrimination at the school near Colorado Springs but found some cases of insenstivity.

The Air Force issued new guidelines on religion in August, but an academy graduate filed a federal lawsuit alleging that the school's leaders fostered an environment of intolerance.

The complaints that some cadets and faculty are evangelizing others follow a sexual assault scandal that shook the academy two years ago when female cadets said commanders punished them when they report assaults. The Air Force replaced the academy's top commanders and put new policies in place.

-----------

Let me guess nobody sees racism in these comments

mwynn05
10-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
DeBerry cites lack of minority players for struggles
Associated Press

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Air Force coach Fisher DeBerry, expressing frustration Tuesday with the Falcons' slumping performance, attributed the latest loss in part to No. 20 TCU's having more black players who "can run very, very well."

DeBerry, in his 22nd year at the Air Force Academy, first mentioned the academy's lack of minority players compared to other schools while talking to reporters Monday.

He said Air Force needed to recruit faster players. "We were looking at things, like you don't see many minority athletes in our program," DeBerry told The Gazette of Colorado Springs.

When questioned about the remarks during his weekly luncheon Tuesday, the coach didn't hesitate to elaborate.

"It just seems to be that way, that Afro-American kids can run very, very well. That doesn't mean that Caucasian kids and other descents can't run, but it's very obvious to me they run extremely well," DeBerry said in remarks first broadcast Tuesday night by KWGN-TV in Denver.

Academy officials released a statement saying they were aware of the remarks.

"We cannot comment further until we have a chance to review all the reports, the coach's actual statements and to speak with the coach personally," academy spokesman Lt. Col Laurent Fox said.

DeBerry, 67, is the winningest coach in service academy history with an overall record of 161-94-1. He has led 17 teams to winning seasons and 12 have captured bowl titles.

This season, though, the Falcons are struggling. DeBerry is facing the prospect of consecutive losing seasons for the first time since becoming coach in 1984.

Air Force lost 48-10 to TCU Saturday, dropping to 3-5 overall and 2-4 in the Mountain West Conference.

DeBerry found himself at the center of a controversy last year, too. He hung a banner in the locker room that read in part "I am a member of Team Jesus Christ" a day after the academy's superintendent announced the school would do more to fight religious intolerance.

The coach also dropped his traditional pre- and post-game prayers.

Claims that chaplains and some academy leaders impose their conservative Christian beliefs on others prompted an investigation by the Air Force, which concluded there was no overt religious discrimination at the school near Colorado Springs but found some cases of insenstivity.

The Air Force issued new guidelines on religion in August, but an academy graduate filed a federal lawsuit alleging that the school's leaders fostered an environment of intolerance.

The complaints that some cadets and faculty are evangelizing others follow a sexual assault scandal that shook the academy two years ago when female cadets said commanders punished them when they report assaults. The Air Force replaced the academy's top commanders and put new policies in place.

-----------

Let me guess nobody sees racism in these comments if you heard the interview it wasnt as bad as it seems and on PTI the African American jounalists saw no racism in it

3afan
10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
the AFA just got a new commander and one of the big things on his agenda was no discrimination ... will be interesting.

injuredinmelee
10-26-2005, 04:56 PM
I was listening to Bryan Cox on FOX sports radio earlier and he didnt see the racism in it either. I am sure however Jesse jackson will try and find a way to extort some money out of it.

Bullaholic
10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Any authority figure who broaches the subject of "race" in any context, positive, or negative, in public or via the media will be vilified regardless of their intent.

3afan
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I was listening to Bryan Cox on FOX sports radio earlier and he didnt see the racism in it either. I am sure however Jesse jackson will try and find a way to extort some money out of it.

haha - true .............

lostaussie
10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
sounds like a compliment. not a racial comment.

Gobbla2001
10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Forget getting along, can't we all just be AMERICANS?

It's true, folks of color are faster, aint my fault, God made me this way...

However, if a the whiter folk were faster than the darker, and this statement was made in regardes to the lack of white players on the team, the coach would have already been fired and sued and you name it...

As I asked at the start, can't we all just be AMERICANS?

Gobbla2001
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM
The long forgotten definition of racism is the belief that a certain race is genetically better than another (not having to be your own, I believe)... in this case, the african-americans are genetically better than any other race at running fast... so if you wanna get technical, this was a racist statement... but if you want to have an open mind, the guy just told the truth and nothing but the truth so help him God...

Bullaholic
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Forget getting along, can't we all just be AMERICANS?

However, if a the whiter folk were faster than the darker, and this statement was made in regardes to the lack of white players on the team, the coach would have already been fired and sued and you name it...

As I asked at the start, can't we all just be AMERICANS?

That would be great Gobbla, til' some member of the media asks someones's definition of an "American"---and awwayyyy we go.

Gobbla2001
10-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Before anyone asks, NO, I am not jealous (though I would love to run a -4.2)... This statement means that it is how I was made, along with many of the folks in my race... and that's how it happened... we cannot avoid facts...

I'm white, most-importantly an American...

Some are brown, most-importantly Americans...

Some are black, most-importantly Americans...

and this goes for purple and blue I don't care...

No one needs to get on the rag about this one because it is F-A-C-T...

Hupernikomen
10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
sounds like a compliment. not a racial comment.

Exactly what I was thinking..

How can saying that black athletes are fast be considered racist? I mean I guess it is singling out a particular race, but can't say that his opinion is outlandish...track teams sure seem to indicate that he speaks some truth.

lostaussie
10-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Exactly what I was thinking..

How can saying that black athletes are fast be considered racist? I mean I guess it is singling out a particular race, but can't say that his opinion is outlandish...track teams sure seem to indicate that he speaks some truth. he said aloud, what everyone and i mean everyone, was already thinking. no harm no foul.

Whiskey Tough
10-26-2005, 06:13 PM
it is a fact, and not an insult. whats wrong with that?

AggieJohn
10-26-2005, 06:15 PM
it's just getting more press than it should

lostaussie
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
it's just getting more press than it should

it always does!!!!!!!!!!!

Who?
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM
White people sun burn worse than black people do for the most part. Anyone wanna slam me for being racist now? All I did was state fact as the Airforce Coach did.

Keith7
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM

rac·ism (rszm)
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability

Whiskey Tough
10-26-2005, 09:10 PM
good definition keith, i think your alarm is goin off. if i was you i would go start my 2000 montero sport and let it run all night.

Bandera YaYa
10-26-2005, 09:11 PM
rac·ism (rszm)
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability Well, I guess I am racist then, cuz I believe the same thing........funny, I would consider it a compliment, if it were said to me. :hand:

Keith7
10-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Well, I guess I am racist then, cuz I believe the same thing........funny, I would consider it a compliment, if it were said to me. :hand:

lets put it this way.. if you were to start a football team, and you didn't know ANYBODY, and you had no idea what everybody's ability was about and 4 people were going to try out for Cornerback, 2 were black and 2 were white, who would you start on your first team the first day of practice??? Cuz if you really believe race makes you faster, I can probably guess who you would start.. and is that fair to the other 2?? Get the racism yet?

Who?
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
lets put it this way.. if you were to start a football team, and you didn't know ANYBODY, and you had no idea what everybody's ability was about and 4 people were going to try out for Cornerback, 2 were black and 2 were white, who would you start on your first team the first day of practice??? Cuz if you really believe race makes you faster, I can probably guess who you would start.. and is that fair to the other 2?? Get the racism yet?

That's a lot of assuming your doing there about what OTHER people would do. Why wouldn't he watch them run and look at their times? Why wouldn't he alternate them for the first few days and see who covers better, who reads routes better, who can keep up with the faster receivers and make plays on the ball better? Simply because someone accepts the fact that African Americans are usually faster doesn't mean that they take away or give opportunities unfairly because of that.

crabman
10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
African Americans have a higher rate of diabetes and heart attacks than caucasians. Is pointing out the difference racist? According to the definition it is.
I thought the comment was insulting to white folk. He says we're slow.
I know everybody says we should all be one big happy family. Who saw the Latino Legends all star team to open the Astros game tonight.
If the Astros make it to the next game I am hoping for the Cracker Crew. The all time greatest all star team of white ball player. Talk about driving a wedge. People like Jackie Robinson struggle for years to get treated equally and Major League Baseball just tries to keep everybody separate.
I never give race a thought. Somebody told me the Astros don't have a black player. I didn't notice. I asked if Chicago had any. They said yeah, Jermaine Dye. Never even thought about him being black or white. I just know he can hit.

Bandera YaYa
10-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by crabman
African Americans have a higher rate of diabetes and heart attacks than caucasians. Is pointing out the difference racist? According to the definition it is.
I thought the comment was insulting to white folk. He says we're slow.
I know everybody says we should all be one big happy family. Who saw the Latino Legends all star team to open the Astros game tonight.
If the Astros make it to the next game I am hoping for the Cracker Crew. The all time greatest all star team of white ball player. Talk about driving a wedge. People like Jackie Robinson struggle for years to get treated equally and Major League Baseball just tries to keep everybody separate.
I never give race a thought. Somebody told me the Astros don't have a black player. I didn't notice. I asked if Chicago had any. They said yeah, Jermaine Dye. Never even thought about him being black or white. I just know he can hit. I'm with you. bro!! :clap: :clap: Racism's an issue, if you make it an issue!! :hand:

Keith7
10-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by crabman
African Americans have a higher rate of diabetes and heart attacks than caucasians. Is pointing out the difference racist?

Read the definition again.. it says Character and ability.. not genetics..

mwynn05
10-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Read the definition again.. it says Character and ability.. not genetics.. everything is about race with you

crabman
10-26-2005, 10:13 PM
A lot of ability is genetics. Hand eye coordination. Foot speed. Strength.

Who do Ethiopian and Kenyan runners dominate marathons. Genetics. Why do African descent people (Jamiacan, Trinidad, Canadian, American) dominate sprints. Genetics. It is not a bad thing. It's a biological thing. No big whoop.

AJ_2005
10-26-2005, 11:38 PM
very racist

UPanIN
10-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Tell me what's not true in his statement.

I must have been in the back woods too long and don't understand the "PC" stuff. For the life of me I can't see anything wrong with what he said.

I think he was saying we need some black kids on this team so we can compete.

DaRaiderz
10-27-2005, 08:51 PM

Anyone who knows football would assume black kids would be better corners and for good reason. Is it fair, probably not. The fact is though that EVERY starting corner in the NFL is black. EVERY starting RB is black. Speed and agility positions are dominated by the black athlete at the sports highest level. That's what Coach DeBerry was basing his comments on. If anything, he sounded frustrated as to why he has a difficult time recruiting black athletes to his prestigious, highly disciplined, academically challenging University where he has done nothing but win until this year. Anyone looking for racism in his comments is simply trying to pick a fight.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2005, 09:47 PM
All I have to say is that we should take every race's best quality and mix it with the best qualities of the other races... thatta way Cuero can go to state 10 different years... whoops, already have...

Seriously, though, the fact is that some races are better than other races in different categories in football or whatever other subject you bring up... yes, there are your exceptions, but percentages (which is what our lives are based on these days anyway) are the way to make decisions if you feel like being right a great mahority of the time...

And the DB comparison isn't very easy to go after... speed works on defense, but in the secondary you only need decent speed, just need coverag-ability and TOO much knowledge of the opponent's passing game...

Other than that, I'll take a 4.4 RB and 4.4 LB's along with 4.6-4.7 DE's any day... and right or wrong, like it or not, most of them are of color...

Go Browns, Blacks and Whites, together we can make sh*t happen!!!

park place 45
10-28-2005, 12:37 PM
I THINK THAT WHAT THE COACH SAID IS RIGHT...AT MY SCHOOL THE ONLY BLACK PEOPLE THAT AREN'T FASTER THAN ME ARE THE FAT ONES.

slyder
10-28-2005, 12:47 PM
african american athletes are born with more fast twitch muscle fibers than any other race. it was actually a factual statement not a racist statement. why is it ok for joe morgan to say the astros can't win because of the lack of black athletes and the guy from air force is getting reamed. can't we all just get along?

Keith7
10-28-2005, 01:04 PM
All I have to say is that we should take every race's best quality and mix it with the best qualities of the other races... thatta way Cuero can go to state 10 different years... whoops, already have...

Seriously, though, the fact is that some races are better than other races in different categories in football or whatever other subject you bring up... yes, there are your exceptions, but percentages (which is what our lives are based on these days anyway) are the way to make decisions if you feel like being right a great mahority of the time...

And the DB comparison isn't very easy to go after... speed works on defense, but in the secondary you only need decent speed, just need coverag-ability and TOO much knowledge of the opponent's passing game...

Other than that, I'll take a 4.4 RB and 4.4 LB's along with 4.6-4.7 DE's any day... and right or wrong, like it or not, most of them are of color...

Go Browns, Blacks and Whites, together we can make sh*t happen!!!

Let me guess white people should play quarterback and should be the only coaches because they are smarter huh??? SAT, ACT, PSAT scores all prove this

Keith7
10-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Do you guys not see.. that Football teams are sopposed to take the best PLAYER at each position, not the best RACE.. and thats what this is all about.. that a coach would say that his team isn't as good because he doesn't have enough black people.. Maybe if he coached his team better he could compete with the teams w/ more black people.. for example..

Next time you guys see South Lake Carrol play on T.V. I want u guys to count how many black people are on their team and start... I don't hear Todd Dodge saying that SLC needs more black kids! This is because he trains his kids hard all year round, and they practice harder than anybody.. To say that you can't win because you don't have a certain race is Racist...

Bullaholic
10-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Let me guess white people should play quarterback and should be the only coaches because they are smarter huh??? SAT, ACT, PSAT scores all prove this

Where do you want to go with this, Keith? You want somebody to finally say something "out of line" enough to allow you to make a huge case? As I said earlier, there can be no "winners" in this debate----now, a discussion which leads to better understanding among the races is a step in a positive direction.

SnyderMom
10-28-2005, 01:12 PM
This is sad...the colorado air must have gotten to him...invasion of the californians must have rubbed off...

....that's why I moved to TEXAS!!! lol

Keith7
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Where do you want to go with this, Keith? You want somebody to finally say something "out of line" enough to allow you to make a huge case? As I said earlier, there can be no "winners" in this debate----now, a discussion which leads to better understanding among the races is a step in a positive direction.

This is essentially what he is saying though bull.. a 40 time is a test of someone's ability and so is a SAT test.. To label someone just because of thier race is RACIST!!

44INAROW
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by slyder
african american athletes are born with more fast twitch muscle fibers than any other race. it was actually a factual statement not a racist statement. why is it ok for joe morgan to say the astros can't win because of the lack of black athletes and the guy from air force is getting reamed. can't we all just get along?

I bet your mother is proud you are her son! :)

Phil C
10-28-2005, 01:50 PM
As Shakespeare said "Much ado about nothing."

Now they should worry about more important things such as:

Getting Gasoline prices down.

Getting people interested in college women's soccer.

And why they should love me and

Old Cardinal
10-28-2005, 05:01 PM
These type discussions can go down hill fast. It's called opening Pandora's box. One says yea but Vietnamese are a more industrous race. Jewish are better at analytical things, etc:, etc:
I see Latinos, Caucasians, Blacks win the State 100 m through the years--could an Eskimo have won it, we just don't know none have ever tried.

hoosierdaddy
10-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Remember Jimmy the Greek wasn't intending to be racist either!

Keith7
10-28-2005, 06:10 PM
nm