PDA

View Full Version : Phil C or Anybody Else

Bullaholic
10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Phil....Why do UT and aTm play on Thanksgiving Day? How did this get started?

3afan
10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
don't they play the day AFTER T'giving ... Friday?

Bullaholic
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
don't they play the day AFTER T'giving ... Friday?

You may be right 3AFan, but seems like I remember seeing them play on Thanksgiving Day years ago. Maybe not. Anyhow, it will be interesting finding out why this game is played when it is.

Phil C
10-26-2005, 01:33 PM
It is a good question. I don't know why they started playing on Thanksgiving unless it was so the students could see the game and have an extra long weekend for the holidays and not have to come to the game Saturday. I looked up the records and even though the large majority were played on Thanksgiving not all of them were. I think one of the main reasons they stopped playing on Thanksgiving was at the request of tv networks who wanted to televise other games. Of course the money involved was also probably a persuader that television used.

Bullaholic
10-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Phil...I knew I could count on you. I looked it up also, and didn't find a definite answer either, other than the schools wanted the students to have a nice holiday. I did find a lot of other UT history, some of which I was aware, and some I was not. The story of the origin of Bevo's name has always been interesting.