PDA

View Full Version : Swoopes is gay ...

3afan
10-26-2005, 06:13 AM
really -----> LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2203853)

Three-time MVP 'tired of having to hide my feelings'
By LZ Granderson
ESPN The Magazine

Calling life in the closet "miserable," three-time Olympic gold medalist and reigning WNBA MVP Sheryl Swoopes announced she is gay in an exclusive interview in the current issue of ESPN The Magazine.

"My reason for coming out isn't to be some sort of hero," Swoopes, a forward with the Houston Comets, says in the article. "I'm just at a point in my life where I'm tired of having to pretend to be somebody I'm not. I'm tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about. About the person I love.

"Male athletes of my caliber probably feel like they have a lot more to lose than gain [by coming out]. I don't agree with that. To me, the most important thing is happiness."

Swoopes, 34, is the most recognizable athlete, male or female, to come out in a team sport. Former WNBA player Michele Van Gorp, who played for the Minnesota Lynx, publicly acknowledged she is a lesbian in July 2004. Before Van Gorp, former Liberty player Sue Wicks had been the only member of a female professional team to publicly come out while still playing. Previously, Swoopes has said she plans to continue her career.

Former NFL defensive tackle Esera Tuaolo and MLB outfielder Billy Bean made headlines when they revealed they were gay, but both were retired when they made their announcements and neither had a career that comes close to Swoopes.

After being named NJCAA Player of the Year while at South Plains Junior College in 1991, Swoopes transferred to Texas Tech and two years later scored a NCAA title game-record 47 points in leading the Lady Raiders to the national championship. Swoopes was named the Final Four's Most Outstanding Player to go along with her national player of the year award. In 1994 she won gold at the Goodwill Games, and, in 1996, was a member of the Olympic gold medal-winning team that became the building block for the WNBA.

Since then, she has won two more Olympic gold medals, four WNBA championships and three regular-season MVP accolades, including this past summer. Swoopes, a five-time All-WNBA First Team honoree who was the All-Star MVP this past season, is also the first female athlete to have a shoe named after her, Nike's Air Swoopes.

"Some people might say my coming out after just winning the MVP award is heroic, and I understand that," she says. "And I know there are going to be some negative things said, too. But it doesn't change who I am. I can't help who I fall in love with. No one can."

In the article, Swoopes goes on to talk about her three-year marriage, her 8-year-old son, Jordan, and life with her partner, former Old Dominion basketball coach Alisa Scott.

"Discovering I'm gay just sort of happened much later in life," Swoopes says. "Being intimate with [Alisa] or any other woman never entered my mind. At the same time, I'm a firm believer that when you fall in love with somebody, you can't control that."

The news could be particularly perplexing for the WNBA, which has struggled to both recognize the homosexual element connected to its league and grow its fan base. Ironically, in its infancy, the WNBA marketed a pregnant, married Swoopes to put a heterosexual face on its promotional campaign. Now the league, which will play its 10th season next summer, has to decide what to do now that one of its best and most recognizable players has announced she's gay.

"The talk about the WNBA being full of lesbians is not true," Swoopes says. "There are as many straight women in the league as there are gay. What really irritates me is when people talk about football, baseball and the NBA, you don't hear all of this talk about the gay guys playing. But when you talk about the WNBA, then it becomes an issue. Sexuality and gender don't change anyone's performance on the court."

pirate44
10-26-2005, 07:31 AM
shocking, wait...maybe not:doh:

sicem74
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
wow

raider red 2000
10-26-2005, 08:29 AM
shocking to me. i heard that she was going to go to UT after leaving south plains junior college, but she didnt like how open some of the girls were about it. So she went to Tech and won a national championship.

I am not talkin smack, but i have heard that from several people.

AggieJohn
10-26-2005, 08:51 AM
this thread is homosexual

scrub c
10-26-2005, 08:54 AM
if you are reading this thread with you hand on the mouse---you are probably a homo too.

AggieJohn
10-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
if you are reading this thread with you hand on the mouse---you are probably a homo too. your mom

Phil C
10-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Well I'll be a slop swallowing hog! :D

Phil C
10-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
shocking to me. i heard that she was going to go to UT after leaving south plains junior college, but she didnt like how open some of the girls were about it. So she went to Tech and won a national championship.

I am not talkin smack, but i have heard that from several people.

It is true raider. She publicly said so and it took UT several years to recover but fortunately they did. I don't hold it against her for being gay if the article is true but I do hold it out against her for being a hypocrite.

Phil C
10-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Wait a minute everyone! She does have a young son! The article must be mistaken!!!

Bullaholic
10-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Wait a minute everyone! She does have a young son! The article must be mistaken!!!

I think she may be "amphibious", Phil.

kaorder1999
10-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Swoopes, who was married and has an 8-year-old son, said her 1999 divorce "wasn't because I'm gay." She says her reason for coming out now is merely because she wants to be honest.

im so confused. her divorce wasn't because she was gay?

KTJ
10-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Yup, that's the reason she left UT.

Then she went to Tech to play for Marsha Sharp--who is also a lesbian--and won an NC.

While not shocking, this is surprising that she'd come out in this way.

3afan
10-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
... Marsha Sharp--who is also a lesbian--...

:eek: --- didnt know that!

KTJ
10-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
:eek: --- didnt know that!

Where have you been!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:D

HPLJ6L
10-26-2005, 11:26 AM
man...what a shocker! You mean she thought that we believed that she wasn't. See..the WNBA athletes have no integrity. This could be as big as that BALCO thing...if someone cared. LMAO

Good for Sheryl. (wonder who wears the pants in that family)

44INAROW
10-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

:D :D :D :D

SintonFan
10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
ROFL!:D

Green Ranger
10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Yall can laugh all yall want to, but like she stated in the article, it is a big deal because she is female. Nobody is looking at the fact that "America's Favorite Past Time" has players who are gay in it and nothing is being said there. Just my two cents.

Green Ranger
10-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Your Switch Hitter Joke here.....................................

Phil C
10-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Yup, that's the reason she left UT.

Then she went to Tech to play for Marsha Sharp--who is also a lesbian--and won an NC.

While not shocking, this is surprising that she'd come out in this way.

Say it isn't so KTJ! :eek: :(

KTJ
10-26-2005, 02:09 PM
LOL!

I can't believe more people don't know about Marsha Sharp, the "queen" of West Texas.

She likes girls.

Phil C
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
LOL!

I can't believe more people don't know about Marsha Sharp, the "queen" of West Texas.

She likes girls.

You don't understand KTJ! That is what she went to West Texas to get away from according the articles in the 90s. :(

injuredinmelee
10-26-2005, 02:23 PM
The WNBA is still in existence? Id rather watch that show on Spike where its ad libbed from some japanese game show.

Phil C
10-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The WNBA is still in existence? Id rather watch that show on Spike where its ad libbed from some japanese game show.

Ad libbed??!! :eek:

handNthedirt
10-26-2005, 02:35 PM
are y'all really still talking about this grown woman's sexual preference?....unbelievable.

Phil C
10-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
are y'all really still talking about this grown woman's sexual preference?....unbelievable.

You don't understand hand. In the 90s she implied that she was going to Texas Tech to get away from that. :(

whereugo
10-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Agreed, handnithedirt - I really don't think it's any of my business and so she went to UT to get away from that - things happen - things change - people change - life goes on. She's a great basketball player and frankly, I really don't think anybody's sexual preferences are really any of my business or anybody else's. Seems like we know way more about people nowadays than we need to. It's her life - don't judge lest ye be judged the same.

Paratrooper
10-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Maybe she shoots on both ends of the court.......lol:D

Whiskey Tough
10-26-2005, 06:41 PM
i heard she won a carpet eating contest at the fair last year. it all makes sense now.

hoosierdaddy
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Wait a minute everyone! She does have a young son! The article must be mistaken!!! My cousin has a kid too but he is as gay as they come. As for Swoopes, I don't care what she does off the court as long as she gets it done on the court.

ILS1
10-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah,she has a son named Jordan. Named after NBA legend Michael Jordan. Whom she became friends with. She actually played him one and one many years ago. Mike won of course.

:D

AJ_2005
10-26-2005, 11:32 PM
i knew it!!!!!!!j/k whatta shocker

htowntransplant
10-27-2005, 01:42 AM
swoops is gay....doesnt surprise me. im sure about 20% of WNBA players are gay.

3afan
10-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by hoosierdaddy
My cousin has a kid too but he is as gay as they come. As for Swoopes, I don't care what she does off the court as long as she gets it done on the court.

thats why this is a non-story nation wide -- no one cares what she does on the court - the WNBA is that insignificant

hoosierdaddy
10-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
thats why this is a non-story nation wide -- no one cares what she does on the court - the WNBA is that insignificant
You obviouisly misread my quote, I said I don't care what she does OFF the court. WNBA insignificant? Not exactly! I was at a game in Indiana this summer and they drew a great crowd. Women's sports are only insignificant to those who can't accept that women can do more than keep house and make babies. Get your knuckle off the ground and stand up straight ! its the 21st century for heaven's sake !

Phil C
10-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by hoosierdaddy
You obviouisly misread my quote, I said I don't care what she does OFF the court. WNBA insignificant? Not exactly! I was at a game in Indiana this summer and they drew a great crowd. Women's sports are only insignificant to those who can't accept that women can do more than keep house and make babies. Get your knuckle off the ground and stand up straight ! its the 21st century for heaven's sake !

But Hoosier it is only the first decade of the 21st century. :D

3afan
10-27-2005, 02:39 PM
no i didnt misread your quote ... i was just making a general statement ... stating an opinion. the WNBA is a very minor player in the overall sports scheme in the USA ... IMO.

and i'm not against women's sports or anything like that so (please) dont preach that crap to me ......

:cool:

Buccaneer
10-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Swoopes is gay! Unbelievable! Next thing you know there will be lesbians in the LPGA !

Matthew328
10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
what is the WNBA??

Seriously this is such a non story....first it's no shock a female athlete is gay.....(sorry but I would venture to guess there a disproportionate number of gay female athletes as to the rest of society) and secondly because it is the WNBA it is a non-story...

some women't sports are OK to watch..tennis, track and field...women's basketball on the other hand is like watching paint dry

slpybear the bullfan
10-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Okay... so she is HAPPY. What is the big deal?

bulldogman06
10-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Haha agreed, and i would be willin to bet that after this there will be a boatload of other WNBA players announcing their sexuality and then there will be a new split in the WNBA, The SWNBA(Straight WNBA) and the LWNBA (Lesbian WNBA)

bulldogbark
10-28-2005, 08:03 AM
no problem, unless she is a role model for a bunch of young ladies out there in HS wanting to be WNBA stars like her. Ever time someone comes out and says they are this or that. OH he is gay or she is gay , or he is a pedophile or anything else we as adults or parents tend to dismiss it as oh well. I for one think its disgusting and wouldnt want that person as a role model for my son or daughter.....ok i said it now blast me

Phil C
10-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
no problem, unless she is a role model for a bunch of young ladies out there in HS wanting to be WNBA stars like her. Ever time someone comes out and says they are this or that. OH he is gay or she is gay , or he is a pedophile or anything else we as adults or parents tend to dismiss it as oh well. I for one think its disgusting and wouldnt want that person as a role model for my son or daughter.....ok i said it now blast me

Blast you?! You are to be commended for having the courage to say exactly how you feel.

bulldogbark
10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
well thanks phill , I just think being Politicaly correct sometimes has eroded our morality to a point were nothing shocks us anymore or we as a society just does not care anymore:mad:

Bullaholic
10-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Nobody cares about this player's sexuality---the problem is everybody gets tired of figures in the public "eye" making it a media "event" everytime one of them decides to announce their "coming out" or their recovery from drug or alcohol abuse for the 3rd time or so. I don't wish any of these people ill-will, I hope their lives are happy and productive---just please quit "hitting" us over the head with these stories.

HPLJ6L
10-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey can't blame her, these women nowadays are just downright sexy. I like 'em too.

handNthedirt
10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
How is this post still being discussed.....who cares if she is gay!?! She is a very talented basketball player, what about her jump-shot.

hoosierdaddy
10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
If this is such a non-story then why is it getting so many posts on here when we are supposed to be here to talk about 3A high school sports? Not to mention it made the front page of several Texas newspapers when it broke! Must be of interest to somebody huh?

SintonFan
10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
women's basketball on the other hand is like watching paint dry
Not true Matt! Watching paint dry is very entertaining to a painter.:clap:

BullFrog Dad
10-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Not true Matt! Watching paint dry is very entertaining to a painter.:clap: Perhaps smelling the paint while watching it dry is how the painter is entertained.