PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! not 3A but 4A....

IHStangFan
10-25-2005, 05:08 PM
I just noticed that Flour Bluff destroyed Calallen!!! I KNEW it!! the Bluff is on a tear!! Go Bluff! :clap:

IHStangFan
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Hornets win showdown of unbeatens in District 31-4A

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
October 22, 2005

Calallen coach Phil Danaher has said all along that Flour Bluff was the best team in District 31-4A.

The Hornets proved him right.

Flour Bluff scored 21 points in the third quarter to race past Calallen in a 34-21 victory Friday night. The win allowed the Hornets (5-0 district, 8-0 overall) to take sole possession of first place in the standings with only two games left in the regular season.

"Our kids played a great game, and they played for four quarters," first-year Flour Bluff coach Darrell Andrus said. "We forced some turnovers, and that was huge. We knew going into it that's what we needed to do. We had one interception that we'd like to have back, but you just have to keep going. In a heavyweight fight there's going to be punches thrown, and you have to give yours and take yours."

Last year, Flour Bluff led 20-19 after three quarters before scoring 21 in the fourth for a 41-27 victory, its first over Calallen in 20 years. The senior duo of running back Andre McCorkle and quarterback Kevin McColskey made the second just as thrilling.

McCorkle was held to 17 yards rushing in the first half, but went on to finish with 133 on 17 carries - one of them an 87-yard touchdown run that helped give the Hornets a 27-13 advantage with 4 minutes, 26 seconds left in the third quarter.

In only his second game back from a shoulder injury, McColskey completed 13 passes for 194 yards. The last of those was a 74-yard scoring strike to Joe Brunemeier for the last of Flour Bluff's touchdowns.

"They're the best team in the district," Danaher said. "They have the most speed and probably the most size. They're explosive in so many areas."

Flour Bluff managed only 86 total yards in the first, 68 of those passing. Although the Hornets went on to finish with 336 yards of offense, Danaher said the Wildcats did more to stifle their own game plan.

Calallen lost two fumbles, the first of which was returned 56 yards for a touchdown by Mark Soto. Another fumble and two interceptions by Ryan Duke didn't lead to any Flour Bluff points but kept the Wildcats from generating any consistency.

"I thought our defense did a great job against them," Danaher said. "Our offense is what cost us tonight."

Calallen (4-1, 7-1) took a 10-0 lead less than four minutes into the game on a 4-yard pass from Duke to Sean Hoelscher and 4-yard fumble return by linebacker Jeff Blankenship. The rest of the game belonged to the Hornets.

Ryley Bishop's 40-yard field goal with 10 seconds left in the first quarter launched Flour Bluff's scoring assault - a run of 34 unanswered points. Soto then helped bring the Hornets to within three points when he returned a Duke fumble 56 yards to the end zone.

Flour Bluff forged a tie with only four seconds left in the first half on a 35-yard field goal by Bishop. The Hornets returned from halftime to score three touchdowns in a four-minute span, beginning with a 2-yard run by Matt Smith and followed by McCorkle and Brunemeier.

Calallen set the tone early by covering 50 yards in six plays for a touchdown on the game's first drive.

The score was set up by a 35-yard kickoff return by sophomore Jeramie Marek, which left the Wildcats with a short field. It didn't take long for Calallen to reach the end zone.

Duke's pass on first down went for nine yards to Sean Hoelscher and was followed by a 10-yard run by Kindred McClure, moving the ball to the Flour Bluff 31. From there, the Hornets continued to have problems with Duke and Hoelscher.

Three plays after the pair hooked up for a 23-yard completion to set up first and goal from the 8, Duke and Hoelscher were at it again, this time on a quick 4-yard scoring pass. Trey Slusher added the extra point to put Calallen in front 7-0 with 9 minutes, 40 seconds left in the first quarter.

Flour Bluff began its first possession at its own 28 - and things didn't go well at all.

The Hornets faced third and 8 from the 30 when Calallen's Landon Botkin burst through up the middle untouched on a pass rush. McColskey had just reared back to thrown when Botkin slammed into him from on a blindside hit and jarred the ball loose.

Botkin picked up the fumble and raced for the end zone, but was hauled down and lost possession as he reached the 5. Blankenship grabbed the loose ball and took it four yards for the touchdown.

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING - CALALLEN, Kindred McClure 12-54, Duke 14-9, Sam Oelschlegel 1-4. FLOUR BLUFF, McCorkle 17-133, McColskey 11-2, David Guthrie 2-3, Smith 2-2, Jace Garrett 1-2.

PASSING - CALALLEN, Duke 12-25-2 - 129. FLOUR BLUFF, McColskey 13-27-1 - 194.

RECEIVING - CALALLEN, Se. Hoelscher 5-52, Oelschlegel 1-8, McClure 1-8, Sk. Hoelscher 4-54, Farris 1-7. FLOUR BLUFF, Alex Darley 6-60, Brunemeier 6-122, McCorkle 1-12.

District303aPastPlayer
10-25-2005, 05:16 PM
i called that, and people called me dumb here in sinton... i knew the Bluff would rip em apart

IHStangFan
10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i called that, and people called me dumb here in sinton... i knew the Bluff would rip em apart yup, me too. It was pretty plain to see (for me anyway) that Calallen at BEST a shell of the former Calallen.

we usually DO seem to see eye to eye D30PP

District303aPastPlayer
10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yup, me too. It was pretty plain to see (for me anyway) that Calallen at BEST a shell of the former Calallen.

we usually DO seem to see eye to eye D30PP

this is very true

pirate44
10-26-2005, 07:40 AM