PDA

View Full Version : Realignment

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2005, 10:32 AM
From what I've seen, school enrollments are turned in this week. I read somewhere that counts were to be turned in on the 24th & 28th. Whether or not those dates are "official" or not, I'm not sure. But, there is no way for anyone to know what class their school will be until the UIL releases them next year.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Everyone that thinks they know please go to the following webiste and look under section 351

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/constitution/index.html

injuredinmelee
10-25-2005, 10:45 AM
no whee does it give dates. It says based on the month of October. No one knows thew exact date or dates. The UIl decides that when they have all the figured turned in. We have to go through this every single year. Do a little reading and dont believe what Jimmy Earl and Billy Jack told you at Dairy Queen this

3afan
10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
usually these threads dont start until after the new year ....

Hupernikomen
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Although a count is taken in Oct. it is not the only source of info. that the U.I.L. using in determining total enrollment.

3afan
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
... according to a Supt. I know.

that is about as useless as "what Jimmy Earl and Billy Jack told you at Dairy Queen" :D

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
no whee does it give dates. It says based on the month of October. No one knows thew exact date or dates. The UIl decides that when they have all the figured turned in. We have to go through this every single year. Do a little reading and dont believe what Jimmy Earl and Billy Jack told you at Dairy Queen this

You are absolutely correct and I did not state I got those dates off the UIL site, but did in fact state that I did not know if those dates are accurate. The gist of my post was in fact to dispel the "we're dropping or moving up" thoughts.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Amen to that
according to a Supt. I know.

that is about as useless as "what Jimmy Earl and Billy Jack told you at Dairy Queen"

Ask yourself this question.. why would the UIL give special info to a sup? They dont. You think All Sups are above cheating? NO they arent that is why they tell all of them NOTHING but what is in the UIL constitution.

3afan
10-25-2005, 11:03 AM
:cool:

injuredinmelee
10-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You are absolutely correct and I did not state I got those dates off the UIL site, but did in fact state that I did not know if those dates are accurate.

I wasnt slamming you at all. I was talking to everyone that knows some "insider" information they like to brag about.

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2005, 11:06 AM
I wasnt slamming you at all. I was talking to everyone that knows some "insider" information they like to brag about.

:cool: Sorry to jump to conclusions. :thumbsup:

89JDAWG
10-25-2005, 11:18 AM
enrollments in southeast texas schools are still down so we might get some more company in 3a. I wonder how the uil will handle this?

Hupernikomen
10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Amen to that

Ask yourself this question.. why would the UIL give special info to a sup? They dont. You think All Sups are above cheating? NO they arent that is why they tell all of them NOTHING but what is in the UIL constitution.

Not talking about secret information but there are a few factors besides the snapshot..ever wonder how someone has an enrollment of 486.5? where does the .5 come from? What about kids in DAEP do they have to be counted or not? Some district have a knack for working the system. IMO

Hupernikomen
10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Amen to that

I know that is common knowledge to the Sups. was trying to get a discussion going about which student counts and which one doesn't..which student counts at 0.5 and which counts at a 1.

Hupernikomen
10-25-2005, 01:43 PM

Obviously no one knows the date nor the cut-offs numbers..although some claim that every year, but who knows when a student only counts as a half a student?

Paratrooper
10-25-2005, 01:49 PM
ever wonder how someone has an enrollment of 486.5? where does the .5 come from?

Seems like the UIL doesn't know that a 1 equals a whole person.....LOL. (and they say education is better now a days.....LOL):D :D

pero chato
10-25-2005, 02:03 PM
I know that is common knowledge to the Sups. was trying to get a discussion going about which student counts and which one doesn't..which student counts at 0.5 and which counts at a 1.

Maybe the .5 comes from the average of two or more days of enrollment figures. For example 518 (on Oct 14th) + 519 (on Oct 18th) = 1037 total, divided by 2 = 518.5 average attendance, and so on. Just a guess, I really don't know.

District303aPastPlayer
10-25-2005, 02:21 PM
all i know is that we are stayin 3A :)

wos fan1
10-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
From what I've seen, school enrollments are turned in this week. I read somewhere that counts were to be turned in on the 24th & 28th. Whether or not those dates are "official" or not, I'm not sure. But, there is no way for anyone to know what class their school will be until the UIL releases them next year. October 31st is when there turned in.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2005, 02:31 PM
we know when they are turned in. We just dont know what days the UIL will use to classify everyone.

wos fan1
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
All i know is they are released in February.

Tiger90
10-25-2005, 02:50 PM
You are allowed certain exemptions especially when counting lifeskills kids. With the N.O. transfers and before any exemptions Silsbee was around 870-875 at last count. Barring some major drop in cutoffs, Silsbee should be 3A once again. The count goes in at the end of the week.

wos fan1
10-25-2005, 02:55 PM
WOS has really dropped off since the last count. Just yesterday we had around 770 or so.

JustAFan
10-26-2005, 10:41 AM
OK, here is how they determine the numbers.

The date used to determine realignment is the last Friday in October (like every other year). It is based on the "snapshot day" used by TEA. Schools must report all students who are enrolled on that date. If a student attends for less than 4 hours (half a day) they are counted as .5 Schools are then allowed to subtract the number of students who have multiple disabilities that "severely impair" life skills performance. This year schools also get to divide the total enrollment from hurricance vitims by two and only report half of those students. UIL can also verify numbers at schools that have variances in their reporting through other means.

LogieJoeBean001
10-26-2005, 11:09 AM
And students in DAEP are counted as well.

JustAFan
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Correct - students in DAEP and JJAEP are counted except those assigned by TYC. The scheduled release date for realignments is February 2, 2006 for Football and basketball and May 1 for all others.

LogieJoeBean001
10-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by JustAFan

If a student attends for less than 4 hours (half a day) they are counted as .5

This makes sense because we have lot's of seniors who go to the Junior College either in the morning or afternoons and only attend classes half the day at the high school. Not to mention others who are on work programs and only attend school half the day. These would, I figure, possibly account for some of the .5 numbers.

NateDawg39
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I know Decatur was around 880 last time realignment came around...so im not sure what our classification will be next year, we may be 4A but there is a chance we will stay 3A for 2 more years. I know we droped students then gained then droped some more so who knows....We will in FEB!:)

LogieJoeBean001
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by LogieJoeBean001
This makes sense because we have lot's of seniors who go to the Junior College either in the morning or afternoons and only attend classes half the day at the high school. Not to mention others who are on work programs and only attend school half the day. These would, I figure, possibly account for some of the .5 numbers.

This was stupid, seniors aren't counted! LAUGHING AT MYSELF!!!!!

But the other part is true about the work program students anyway.

Tiger90
10-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by wos fan1
WOS has really dropped off since the last count. Just yesterday we had around 770 or so.

Was that attendance or actual enrollment? You guys ballooned up just before Rita due to Katrina.

wos fan1
10-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Enrollment. We recieved 25 students total from Katrina. Some of them have moved elsewhere or back to Louisiana.

maroonpirate04
10-26-2005, 11:41 AM
They should call 3A to 4A-2 it seems like alot of 4A schools are taking over 3A :D

chaingang
10-26-2005, 11:46 AM
I think they should do away with the clasification system anyway. It would be a good situation watching Austin Westlake take on Rising Star:D

wos fan1
10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
:D

Hupernikomen
10-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
OK, here is how they determine the numbers.

The date used to determine realignment is the last Friday in October (like every other year). It is based on the "snapshot day" used by TEA. Schools must report all students who are enrolled on that date. If a student attends for less than 4 hours (half a day) they are counted as .5 Schools are then allowed to subtract the number of students who have multiple disabilities that "severely impair" life skills performance. This year schools also get to divide the total enrollment from hurricance vitims by two and only report half of those students. UIL can also verify numbers at schools that have variances in their reporting through other means.

Bingo!!! We have a winner. Someone else above understoo the .5 student count also.