PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs Pennsylvania in HS football in the 60s

Phil C
10-25-2005, 09:30 AM
During the 60s PA felt that they had the best players they played several all star games against players from other states winning them all except for one 0 - 0 tie and was very proud and boastful of this. They played Texas a series of games beginning in 1964 (I think). They won the first game by six points but most of our seniors were competing with Oklahoma in that all star game. The next year the game was changed where Texas could have their best players. That was when Bill Bradley of Palestine was the qb and Texas won 27 to 7 (I think). The next year Texas won again by a more one sided score. The fourth year was the year PA wanted to even the series but they lost again by 32 to 2 or some one sided score like that. After that the series was dropped. :)

Phil C
10-25-2005, 09:31 AM
UT's great qb Bobby Layne coached the Texas team in 1964. He was also a great NFL player.

Paratrooper
10-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
During the 60s PA felt that they had the best players they played several all star games against other states winning them all except for one 0 - 0 tie and was very proud and boastful of this. They played Texas a series of games beginning in 1964 (I think). They won the first game by six points but most of our seniors were competing with Oklahoma in that all star game. The next year the game was changed where Texas could have their best players. That was when Bill Bradley of Palestine was the qb and Texas won 27 to 7 (I think). The next year Texas won again by a more one sided score. The fourth year was the year PA wanted to even the series but they lost again by 32 to 2 or some one sided score like that. After that the series was dropped. :)

To me the 3 best states in the nation for high school football are Texas, Florida, and California. I have been to several NC highschool games. The fan base isn't even close. I challenge you to find an equivalant 3A downlow in NC. I watched one of the undefeated teams out here. It just didn't have the same crushing effect that Texas highschools bring.

NateDawg39
10-25-2005, 09:42 AM
I have watched Mission Viejo from California win there state title last year, then I watched the 4A State Championship in Florida...They act like its not that big of a deal!!! I mean really!!! They both won like by 20 points and they went on the field acting like it wasnt that big of a deal that they were State Champs...Its just a sport but if you work as hard as Texas boys do, then you will enjoy the honor like the boys down here do!