PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (9): Monahans @ Pecos

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2005, 06:21 PM
District 3, the Monahans Loboes will travel to Pecos to take on the Eagles.

Monahans is one of the rapidly dwindling undefeated teams in the state and are hoping to bring home the district championship.

Pecos is having a down year at 1-7, their one win over 2A Kermit.

According to the info I've heard, there is an intense rivalry between these two teams.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Ranger Mom
10-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Hmmmm......let me think!

Monahans by how much they want!

NateDawg39
10-24-2005, 07:47 PM
M- Town in a blowout!

Ranger05
10-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Monahans by at least 42 probably more like 49 or 56

Stownhorse
10-24-2005, 11:29 PM
How is this the game of the week. Pecos is a poor excuse for a football team.

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse

And your choice would be??? :hand:

HighSchool Fan
10-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

if there was any posters from pilot point or bowie, that should be the game of the week, winner makes playoffs, loser get's out the basketballs. it should be a close game.

Ranger Mom
10-25-2005, 08:33 AM

They have a pretty good rivalry, and there is not lots to choose from this week.

LHPantherMom doesn't HAVE to do this, ya know!!:mad:

westtxfballfan
10-25-2005, 08:42 AM
This game won't be close despite the huge rivalry the teams have over many decades. (Pecos has only won about 2 games in the series since 82.) Monahans will win handily, but I don't think they'll run up the score for a couple of reasons: Their coach doesn't play that way and has pulled the starters before the 4th quarter - prior to Seminole which I didn't see - in all but one game (Midland Christian when Loboes took a knee inside the 5 for the last minute), and, more importantly, Pecos's head coach is a former Monahans Lobo that played on some very good teams (as MLB) in the mid-80s. He remains very good friends with many in Monahans - including the older coaches - and still has a lot of family there as well. So if Monahans gets out ahead by a lot, expect them to play a lot of reserves. Coach Owens (Monahans head coach) was a JV coach at Monahans when Willis (Pecos) was still in HS there. Other coaching connections between the two: Both were assistants to Midland Lee's Quisenberry at different times; Owens at Odessa High, Willis at Abilene Cooper as the Def Coord. Also, Willis (Pecos coach) was a def coord to Monahans' secondary coach Roark when Roark was head coach at Rice Consolidated. Together, they turned around Rice from a pair of winless seasons to contenders a few years back. (Expect Roark - also a former Lobo - to be a head coach soon; somebody's gain will be Monahans' loss but of course we'd still wish him well.)
For these reasons, most in Monahans would actually like to see Pecos turn things around and many of us root for the Eagles every week when their not playing the Loboes.
The problem will be Pecos keeping it close as they have a very good running back but not much else. Monahans' defensive strength is stopping the run, so it could get ugly anyway.

WTF-82
10-25-2005, 03:06 PM
You said it perfectly.

This is a big rivalry between these two teams if Pecos would win 1 game per year and it be Monahans who they beat it would be like a State Championship season for them. Last time they beat Monahans they went crazy for weeks with signs up all over town
horns honking.

sweetwater07
10-26-2005, 08:05 AM

i know right....game of the week my A$$

sweetwater07
10-26-2005, 08:06 AM

how about snyder vs. wylie...or is that a diff. region??

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
how about snyder vs. wylie...or is that a diff. region??
How about Wylie has already had game of the week twice this season? Now, as hard as this is to believe, there are actually other districts besides district 4 in Region I.

sweetwater07
10-26-2005, 12:44 PM
How about Wylie has already had game of the week twice this season? Now, as hard as this is to believe, there are actually other districts besides district 4 in Region I.

well there are no districts in this region as good as ours and this game will be WAY better then a pecos game......its obviously going to be a blowout...everyone knows!!
either way your choice.....

Ranger Mom
10-26-2005, 04:07 PM
well there are no districts in this region as good as ours and this game will be WAY better then a pecos game......its obviously going to be a blowout...everyone knows!!

Congrats!! I think you are the first Sweetwater fan on this board that has gotten on my nerves!

Yeah, I agree, District 4-3A is good. But let some of the other districts shine a little too!:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
There are 3 out of 5 teams in your district that are doing well. The kids on every single team in the 8 districts in Region I get out there and bust their butts every single day just like the kids in District 4. And just because there are not 50 posters from Monahans and Pecos does not mean that this rivalry is any less important than any other game that will be played Friday night. District 4 has had their share. And you're right....it was my choice.

Ranger Mom
10-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I nominate Monahans and Greenwood from that "little known" district to the west of the Mighty 4-3A for next week's "game of the week".

You would think 4-3A would be curious about that game, since that's who they will be playing round 1.

DaHop72
10-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I nominate Monahans and Greenwood from that "little known" district to the west of the Mighty 4-3A for next week's "game of the week".

You would think 4-3A would be curious about that game, since that's who they will be playing round 1.
LHPM, I agree with RM on the game of the week.

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
LHPM, I agree with RM on the game of the week.

Cool! That makes it two of us. :)

justlikesports
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for making our game the game of the week LHPM. The rivalry is what makes this game! I agree with Ranger Mom about next week. It is gonna be a great game here in Monahans. The rivalry between Monahans and Greenwood continues to grow every year. The game next week will be intense, but right now the Loboes are concentrating on those Eagles from Pecos.

Ranger Mom
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Cool! That makes it two of us. :)

All in favor say "AYE"

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2005, 05:30 PM
"AYE".....Looks like it's unanimous. :D

justlikesports
10-26-2005, 05:30 PM
"AYE"

DaHop72
10-26-2005, 06:42 PM

Motion carries, because as the old saying goes: When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! Don't anybody tell my wife I use the awful a word, English teachers tend to disapprove of it.;) ;)

sweetwater07
10-26-2005, 06:46 PM

i would definately say "aye" on that one...........i was thinking about going to that game.......being as we are going to slaughter merkel.........is it in midland or monahans???............not trying to be cocky or get on your nerves LH SORRY!!!!!!!

Ranger Mom
10-26-2005, 08:54 PM
i would definately say "aye" on that one...........i was thinking about going to that game.......being as we are going to slaughter merkel.........is it in midland or monahans???............not trying to be cocky or get on your nerves LH SORRY!!!!!!!

Unfortunately it is in Monahans!!:(

justlikesports
10-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Awe come on Ranger Mom some of folks here might get the wrong idea and think you don't like us. Just kidding! Looking forward to seeing you next week. Gonna be a great game! Be careful and we will be talking to ya.

WTF-82
10-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Come on down to what I still call Lobo Stadium great place to watch High School Football the Stadium seats more fans than
most Stadiums around West Texas. Over 8,500 seating capacity

football4life
10-27-2005, 11:48 AM

Hey hold on two seconds.... speaking of no love for other region I districts, how about district 1-3A. Next weak the now 7-1 Canyon Eagles will bill hosting the 6-3 Perryton Rangers likely for the district title. This game was a great one last year, as we came from behind 10-0 to win 14-0. Perryton just came off a huge win against Borger, the supposed 1-3A favorite. The game will be in the confines of magnificent Kimbrough Stadium, where recently a crowd of 22,993 packed in for a West Texas A&M football game. So I for one will nominate this as game of the week next week. I haven't seen a 1-3A game of the week the two years I have been a member, so lets make it a first. :clap:

sweetwater07
10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Hey hold on two seconds.... speaking of no love for other region I districts, how about district 1-3A. Next weak the now 7-1 Canyon Eagles will bill hosting the 6-3 Perryton Rangers likely for the district title. This game was a great one last year, as we came from behind 10-0 to win 14-0. Perryton just came off a huge win against Borger, the supposed 1-3A favorite. The game will be in the confines of magnificent Kimbrough Stadium, where recently a crowd of 22,993 packed in for a West Texas A&M football game. So I for one will nominate this as game of the week next week. I haven't seen a 1-3A game of the week the two years I have been a member, so lets make it a first. :clap:

monahans vs. greenwood is a way better game than canyon......where is that anyways?? panhandle??

Ranger Mom
10-27-2005, 01:38 PM
LHPantherMom has been known to have 2 games of the week for the same region!

Maybe she will extend that courtesy again if we are all very nice to her!!:inlove:

chugbug
10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Good luck to both Rusty and Patrick. Hopefully you guys will have an injury free game. May the best team win.:eek: :eek: :hairpunk: :wave: :wave: :wave:

NateDawg39
10-27-2005, 02:39 PM
I think Pecos is the worst team I have seen...I dont even have to watch them...I have a friend who played for them and he said there was no unity!!

DaHop72
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Ooops, wrong post.

football4life
10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
monahans vs. greenwood is a way better game than canyon......where is that anyways?? panhandle??

Well considering that you don't even know where Canyon is and probably absolutely nothing about either team, your opinion should be nullified.

Ranger Mom
10-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Well considering that you don't even know where Canyon is and probably absolutely nothing about either team, your opinion should be nullified.

:eek: I remember Canyon well.....they scared the daylights out of us back in 2002!!

football4life
10-27-2005, 07:05 PM
:eek: I remember Canyon well.....they scared the daylights out of us back in 2002!!

Yes, I was a ball boy for that game. What I most remember is losing by very little, and i think we dropped a pass in the endzone late in the game. And 'wood went on to the semi's right?

Ranger Mom
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Yes, I was a ball boy for that game. What I most remember is losing by very little, and i think we dropped a pass in the endzone late in the game. And 'wood went on to the semi's right?

No, we made it to State that year. Got beat by Bandera in double overtime!:weeping: :weeping: :weeping: It still hurts my heart!:(

Ranger05
10-27-2005, 09:58 PM
:eek: I remember Canyon well.....they scared the daylights out of us back in 2002!! YEA UR TELLIN ME, i think a bunch of us on that team thought we would roll over canyon after we returned the opening kick off for a TD

Da Mules
10-28-2005, 08:34 AM
definitely Canyon-Perryton ought to be Region 1 Game of the week part Two. Perryton has quietly picked up the pieces from a slow start and injuries to put a solid team together, and whoever takes them lightly is gonna be hurtin for it. All Canyon has done is build up a 35-point lead in most of their games and pull the starters in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I think they are better than last year's team

jmcgee
10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
i would definately say "aye" on that one...........i was thinking about going to that game.......being as we are going to slaughter merkel.........is it in midland or monahans???............not trying to be cocky or get on your nerves LH SORRY!!!!!!! Rm. This kid is startin to get on my nerves too

football4life
10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by jmcgee
Rm. This kid is startin to get on my nerves too

True that. A good thing that comes out of being so obscure up here is that we dont have to deal with chumps like this guy.

ML05
10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't know why Ranger Mom thinks it's unfortunate that the game is in Monahans. Estes Memorial Stadium WELCOMES the Rangers! :D :D :D Just playin wit ya, RM :) Looking forward to a good game next week! My prediction for tonight's vs. Pecos was 59-3 or something.

Unfortunately it is in Monahans!!:(

Ranger Mom
10-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ML05
I don't know why Ranger Mom thinks it's unfortunate that the game is in Monahans. Estes Memorial Stadium WELCOMES the Rangers! :D :D :D

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I know you won't be able to meet us at halftime, but is there a time when you think you might be able too?

PlayaJBiehl20
10-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Monahans will win this one.

lobo12
10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
i didnt know monahans seated 8500, texas high school football database says it only seats 6000, i thought it held more....it is prolly the one of thenicest stadiums in west texas with the exception of the 5a schools and the mustang bowls

ASUFrisbeeStud
10-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
i didnt know monahans seated 8500, texas high school football database says it only seats 6000, i thought it held more....it is prolly the one of thenicest stadiums in west texas with the exception of the 5a schools and the mustang bowls

Yeah I played there once...we had a great time...right Lobo12?

HAHA

lobo12
10-28-2005, 07:53 PM
yes great time, with 10 min left in the first quarter monahans 14 pecos 0, second week in a row monahans has scored on the first play from scrimmage

justlikesports
10-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Final Score:
MONAHANS 38
PECOS 7