PDA

View Full Version : Mental Midgets using the word...

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 01:15 PM
... RETARD so flippantly. I have a son that is mentaly retarded and I detest the use of the word. If you were to use it with me around you I would quickly admonish you. Youy dont go around typing the "N" word or any other derogatory names so why use this word in your posts? You think they chose to be retarded? They didn't. It is tempting to use to word to describe some of the stupid things posted on this board but pick a word that doesnt describe a group of disabled people who had no choice in their lot in life.

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 02:56 PM
TTT im gonna keep TTT'ing it...

Hupernikomen
10-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Isn't it a bit two-faced to call someone a midget for using the word retarded because it offesive to retarded people and their parents?

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I was helping make my point. Had to use a word to catch everyones attention plus it lets people see what I am talkign about. Good find. Was wondering how long it might take soemone.

Hupernikomen
10-23-2005, 03:03 PM
You made a point then for sure..

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 03:04 PM
We dont use words like midget as derogatory monkiners so why do we choose to use the word retard?

Hupernikomen
10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
probably for the same reason you did..to get someone's attention.

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 03:10 PM
yeah your right.

Paratrooper
10-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Isn't it a bit two-faced to call someone a midget for using the word retarded because it offesive to retarded people and their parents?

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING.........LOL. If your going to try and bring all the political correctness to the boards at least don't try and alienate all of our vertically challenged friends......lol. This is a silly post.

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I guess my point escapes the two fo you. Why is it okay for the use of the word retard but I cant use the word midget? I simply used the word midget to bring out my point. Too bad it took almost 2 hours for someone to catch that much.

HighSchool Fan
10-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I guess my point escapes the two fo you. Why is it okay for the use of the word retard but I cant use the word midget? I simply used the word midget to bring out my point. Too bad it took almost 2 hours for someone to catch that much.

maybe some people caught on to it, but didn't care to post on this thread.

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Ok how about if I would have said this, " Next time someone uses the word retard I am goiugn to hunt you down and kick your a$$?" How smart would that of been? All it would have done is brought on anger and encouraged people to use it more and more and more. So I tried to use a little wit and make people think but apparently it has escaped the crowd.

injuredinmelee
10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
maybe some people caught on to it, but didn't care to post on this thread.

maybe but doubtful since every flaw is immediatley pointed out on this board...

HighSchool Fan
10-23-2005, 04:42 PM

kinda of like when someone spells the word "goiugn"

Hupernikomen
10-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I would think you saying that it offends you for people to use that word because of your son would of sufficed. But to violate your own objection of using words that have real meaning to people, who can't help their condition, to make the point that others shouldn't use such words causes you to have zero validity in your argument against such usages.

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2005, 04:48 PM
I've understood your point from the outset, injured. Sometimes words are used "in jest" that really can be offensive to others, given the right circumstances.

CHS_CG
10-23-2005, 04:58 PM

I noticed it around 2:30 while i was in the chat room, I pointed it out ti LHPM(whow had already seen it) and LHMom and HSF. I deciede not to post on it bc I have been around long enough to know what starts trouble and what doesnt(might as well go ahead now) I do agree, people probably shouldnt use retard when they are pointing out a stupid post BUT there is A LOT of things anybody can say, no matter what people say, they usually offend somebody. I completely understand that when people use that word it bothers you, but my only advice is you sound like a good person, and you know as well as i do you can not change the world and how people talk on a day to day basis, all you can do is put yourself above that, dont use things like retard and midget(even to get somebody attention) and go on with life.

NHSRattler60
10-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Retard is not a derrogitory term!

It wasn't aimed at anyone who had a mental disability. People need to accept that it is a part of todays culture to use such words out of context in order to prove points, just like you did.

Here's a sentance: "Please, don't retard the progress of disabled individuals. They are people too. No different than you and me. They just lack certain social skills. I know many successful mentally disabled individuals"

re·tard1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-tärd)
v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
v. tr.
To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

v. intr.
To be delayed.

n.
A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
Music. A slackening of tempo. (actually Retardando on sheet music)

I win. And the fact that you brought the subject to attention is retarded.

Old Cardinal
10-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Gosh, I participate in this--in joshing with Kieth...Hope that guy did not offend any small people either...sir you made your point.

I once stuck my foot in my mouth in another similar way..

A great friend has a Father who is a running buddy of mine. He had the flu so I ask her "How is ole 'Special Ed'?-- my nickname for my friend-- Ed
Well her lip went to quivering and her eyes watered up. I quickly added "Is you Dad allright?
She fought to quickly get composure--it turned out they had moved her boy to Special Ed Status at school.
So as you can guess, I have never called any folks named ED by the nickname of "Special Ed" anymore.

Have you ever stuck your foot in your mouth?

Ranger Mom
10-23-2005, 06:02 PM
I want to apologize, I also used the word "retard" in responding and quoting Keith's post.

What is sad is, I didn't even think of a disabled person when I read and wrote that.

Unfortunately, that word is bandied around so much these days, that it has ceased to have a real meaning for me, kinda like "sucks".....if I had said something "sucks" when I was young, I would have been slapped into next week. I hear it now and it doesn't phase me a bit.

But if I offended anyone, I am sorry!

Gobbla2001
10-23-2005, 06:51 PM
MY favorite person in the world is my 15 year-old cousin who has down-syndrom... he's cool as all hell...

His mother hates the word retarded too...

I only hate it if it is directed towords a mentally ill individual, it has become a gross word when used in that manner... but then again I try to shrug it off because I do not believe that they are retarded... they're really gifted, special folk...

I never call anyone retarded, but if Im speaking of something I see as stupid I will say 'now that's just retarded'...

SintonFan
10-23-2005, 09:10 PM
gahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
i hate political correctness!
why do I have to worry about everyone getting offended or their feelings hurt? the downlow has never been politically correct and imo no one should apologize to anyone.....
if I offeNded anyOne with This post them i'm sorry. :o

NHSRattler60
10-24-2005, 01:17 AM
Life is tough. Get a helmet.

AggieJohn
10-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
he's cool as all hell...

you ever really thought about that statement....

Brahmasportsfan
10-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I once jokingly said something about having Alzheimers because I forgot something, and caused tears because someone in the group's Dad had it. Don't threaten to kick people's @$$ over it. Just point it out in an educated manner.