PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young too good?

PlayaJBiehl20
10-22-2005, 05:36 PM
I just heard an announcer say that Vince Young is,"Too good for college football." What is your feelings on it.

kevo081
10-22-2005, 05:37 PM
we shall see in the bowl games.

3afan
10-22-2005, 05:45 PM
his tongue was in his cheek .....

VY has a ways to go before he's a legit NFL quarterback

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

VY has a ways to go before he's a legit NFL quarterback

I dont think he was saying that tongue in cheek. I think he was being serious

3afan
10-22-2005, 05:48 PM
that wasn't my interpretation when i heard it but who knows .....

Pmoney
10-22-2005, 05:51 PM
i dont think he is just by that he still overthrows his wideopen recievers....but i would say his best bet would stay his senior year and most likely be the #1 pick of the draft

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2005, 05:52 PM
that wasn't my interpretation when i heard it but who knows .....

I am not saying i agree with what he was saying, but they were talking about Young staying or going and he said right now I think Young is to good for college defenses

BrahmaDAD70
10-22-2005, 06:10 PM
VY has the tools but what about the work ethic and the pressures
that go along with it.

It would not suprise me if he became the next Michael Vick.

PS

I love the Michael Vick Experence commercials

lostaussie
10-22-2005, 08:00 PM

VY has a ways to go before he's a legit NFL quarterback i agree. vy will NEVER be a nfl qb.

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Who was it that everyone said would be throwing the ball to Vince in the NFL? There was somebody around (in the Big 12 I think) that everyone kept saying was a better QB. Now who was it?.....Let me think....:nerd:

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Who was it that everyone said would be throwing the ball to Vince in the NFL? There was somebody around (in the Big 12 I think) that everyone kept saying was a better QB. Now who was it?.....Let me think....:nerd:

Who was it just last week that said VY wouldn't play QB in the NFL?? Some people really know very little about football.

lostaussie
10-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Who was it just last week that said VY wouldn't play QB in the NFL?? Some people really know very little about football. hmmmm. must have been me. vy is a great athlete. i would want the ball in his hands. but he will NEVER be a big time nfl qb. he is the next slash. whoever gets him is not gonna no what to do with him.

setex
10-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Current rankings of NFL QB's. Where would u insert Vince Young?

Ben Roethlisberger

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe
Matt Hasselbeck
Peyton Manning
Donovan McNabb
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Mark Brunell
Marc Bulger
Brett Favre
Kerry Collins
Trent Dilfer
Jake Plummer
Jake Delhomme
Steve McNair
Byron Leftwich
Trent Green
Brian Griese
Kurt Warner
Josh McCown
Michael Vick
Anthony Wright
David Carr
Tim Rattay
Aaron Brooks
Gus Frerotte
Daunte Culpepper
Kyle Orton
J.P. Losman
Joey Harrington

lostaussie
10-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by setex
Current rankings of NFL QB's. Where would u insert Vince Young?

Ben Roethlisberger

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe
Matt Hasselbeck
Peyton Manning
Donovan McNabb
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Mark Brunell
Marc Bulger
Brett Favre
Kerry Collins
Trent Dilfer
Jake Plummer
Jake Delhomme
Steve McNair
Byron Leftwich
Trent Green
Brian Griese
Kurt Warner
Josh McCown
Michael Vick
Anthony Wright
David Carr
Tim Rattay
Aaron Brooks
Gus Frerotte
Daunte Culpepper
Kyle Orton
J.P. Losman
Joey Harrington right under joey!!!!!!!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2005, 09:24 PM
For those that say Young cannot be a NFL QB give us some reasons.

And as far as the list...I would take the potential of Young over these QB..and again I say potential of what he could be.

Brian Griese
Kurt Warner
Josh McCown
Michael Vick
Anthony Wright
David Carr
Tim Rattay
Aaron Brooks
Gus Frerotte
Daunte Culpepper
Kyle Orton
J.P. Losman
Joey Harrington

setex
10-22-2005, 09:24 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Seriously, how could Vince do any worse than Joey Harrington? He's terrible. And at least if Houston had Vince, he would be able to stand a chance from getting away from all those sacks.:eek: :doh: :doh:

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I think people still think of Young as a runner who sometimes throws.

This year he is hitting 67% of his passes and is averaging 9 yards an attempt so you cannot just say he only hits his TE and backs.

Does he need work, of course he does, but name a QB out of college who is polished and NFL ready right off the bat

PlayaJBiehl20
10-22-2005, 10:55 PM
I used to think that he would be the next great one to flop. Now that I see how he handles pressure, and how he can actually complete passes that he couldn't a year ago. I think that he will be good. Now I can't say if he'll be Michael Vick or not but he will be good. He is a proven leader.

ro_tex_solja
10-22-2005, 11:33 PM
man im one of the biggest longhorns fans ever and there is no way vince young right now could compete great at the nfl level..im not knockin him im just saying that there is a huge difference in nfl and college he has a habit of overthrowing receivers and he threw 2 balls today that were stupid and were picked off....he still has alot more maturing to do if he wants to be an elite qb in the nfl IF thats what he plays when he goes, but i am lookin forward to the more than likely rose bowl matchup of usc and texas....but i really dont think texas could hang with usc honestly and im a huge texas fan

GreenMonster
10-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Vince Young is good but he still has a long way to go.

ro_tex_solja
10-22-2005, 11:36 PM
yeah exactly what i said...there is no way u could even rank him up against an average nfl qb....nfl is totally different

Adidas410s
10-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
man im one of the biggest longhorns fans ever and there is no way vince young right now could compete great at the nfl level..im not knockin him im just saying that there is a huge difference in nfl and college he has a habit of overthrowing receivers and he threw 2 balls today that were stupid and were picked off....he still has alot more maturing to do if he wants to be an elite qb in the nfl IF thats what he plays when he goes, but i am lookin forward to the more than likely rose bowl matchup of usc and texas....but i really dont think texas could hang with usc honestly and im a huge texas fan

One...today was the first game that Vince has overthrown receivers and he did so on 3 passes. Next...of his two interceptions, one was a bad pass but the first one was a solid throw that he made. It was a result of repetitive play calling by Texas. They were CONSTANTLY throwing 5 and 8 yd out routes and the Tech CB FINALLY jumped one and stlepped in front of the pass. If you watch the replay, when VY threw the ball his receiver looked to be open and he threw the ball where it needed to go...the CB just cut back and picked it off. Despite his somewhat side arm motion, Vince has consistently improved each year and is now a VERY capable passer. For as much of a runner as he is considered, his rushing numbers are "down" and his passing numbers are off. Last year he threw for 1849 yards and this season he is already at 1600 yards while having rushed for about 480 yards. He is completing almost 70% of his passes (up from 59% and 60% the last two years) and running fewer times per game. The guy is becoming more of a dual-threat QB and less of a "Vick prototype" every day. The work that he is doing now is what Vick just started doing last year while in his 3rd year in the pros. If Vince stays one more year....he will be far beyond where Vick was when he entered league a few years ago...

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
but i really dont think texas could hang with usc honestly and im a huge texas fan

Why could they not hang? Their offense is just as explosive as USC, and the Texas defense is alot better than USC.

Paratrooper
10-23-2005, 08:11 AM
I was just about to reply to the same thing. Texas has beaten some really good teams this year. Ohio State and Texas Tech. At the time they played both teams they were in the top 10. Texas can definently run with USC. Heck USC should be glad they still have their number 1 ranking after barely beating ND last week. USC in my opinion is the number 2 team in the nation.

Hupernikomen
10-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why could they not hang? Their offense is just as explosive as USC, and the Texas defense is alot better than USC.

Texas is the only team in the country whose offense and defense is ranked in top 10..they can hang with anyone.

Insanity_Strikes_Again
10-23-2005, 11:25 AM
The way that I see it for the Longhorns offense is this. Its not all Vince Young. He has good blocking and yes he does evade some pressure too. Also, he has great recievers. It seems to me that on most of the deep passes that Young seems to just let the ball go, high and far, and let his UT recievers run under it. That was just my impression. That doesn't make him a bad QB for the NFL, but there would be some major adjustments once he got there.

Hawk Fan Izzy
10-23-2005, 12:32 PM
You are going to see in the Rose Bowl: Matt Leinart gives us another clinic on why he is the best College QB in the country.

Vince Young's a nice player, but ML is just...too experienced.

eagles_victory
10-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Texas can hang with USC. Leinhart has been shut down this year I think the Texas defense can do it to. I also think Vince Young has to work on his decsion making process before he goes to the NFL. But he can be a good NFL quaterback.

big daddy russ
10-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Coming from someone totally neutral, I think you could line UT and USC up side by side and they'd be pretty much even. I don't think that UT has an offense as good as USC's, but I think their defense makes up for it.

But back to the original thread, Vince may be too good for college defenses but he's not at the NFL level just yet. There's a HUGE difference between playing Texas Tech and playing the Cowboys. It's about the same difference between playing SLC and playing UT.

Ranger05
10-23-2005, 05:47 PM

VY has a ways to go before he's a legit NFL quarterback I dont thinke he will make a good NFL QB i think he could make one GREAT WR though

Old Tiger
10-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i agree. vy will NEVER be a nfl qb. I wouldn't say never, but if he stays and works on his throwing one more season it would legitmize him.