PDA

View Full Version : moye situation starting to get ugly

lostaussie
10-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Moye again denied clearance to play for Diboll

By GARY WILLMON

Saturday, October 22, 2005

The District 21-3A executive committee voted in a special meeting Friday to deny a transplanted hurricane victim a chance to play high school football this year — a decision which may lead to a court injunction against seven East Texas schools, their administrators and possibly the state's athletic governing body.

In a unanimous 7-0 vote, school superintendents from Rusk, Palestine, Westwood, Crockett, Hudson, Huntington and Central ruled that Gilbert Moye — who moved with his family to Diboll when Hurricane Rita rendered their home in Jasper uninhabitable — cannot join the Diboll Lumberjack football team for the remainder of this season.

The ruling flies in the face of a blanket edict handed down immediately after Rita hit the Texas Gulf Coast region when administrators with the University Interscholastic League (UIL) — the governing body for high school athletics in Texas — declared any displaced students eligible following a 15-day waiting period to join the athletic teams of the district to which they moved.

Members of Moye's family along with a regional director with the NAACP — attendees at Friday's meeting in Rusk — say the committee's ruling violates the 11th-grader's civil rights and are promising appeals to the UIL's executive committee or a possible court injunction to allow Moye eligibility to play until appeals can be heard.

"Adults are looking out for themselves and overlooking the main thing — that they're denying a legal transfer the right to participate in a sport that 600 or 700 other transplanted athletes are getting to play this very weekend," said Merdith Shaw, Moye's aunt and a teacher with Diboll ISD.

"It's a clear violation of civil rights. They're denying him simply because they know he's a good athlete. If he were a so-so athlete, we wouldn't be having this discussion."

Moye, a 6-1, 200-pound junior, quarterbacked Jasper to the Class 3A football state finals last year and was guiding the Bulldogs this season until Hurricane Rita forced him and his family to take refuge in Angelina County. For the past 24 days, Moye has been enrolled in classes at DHS — well past the 15-day waiting period mandated by the UIL — and his mother has said the family is intent on staying in Diboll.

"I am very, very disappointed in the ruling made by the executive committee," said Diboll ISD Superintendent Bobby Baker. "I can tell you this — they are doing one super kid a grave injustice."

The 21-3A committee, in making its ruling, said Moye was not eligible to play for Diboll because he moved to the district "for purposes of playing athletics," a charge Shaw and other family members say is farthest from the truth.

"What'd he do, cause a hurricane to wreck his house so he'd have to move here? I don't think so," Shaw said. "He has family here, so this was a logical and legitimate place for his family to come. And they like it here and want to stay here. That's the bottom line.

"In the meantime, he's being punished for something he had absolutely no control over."

Shaw said John C. Morrison, head of the Lufkin-Nacogdoches chapter of the NAACP, was in attendance at Friday's meeting and may seek an injuncton through the courts to allow her nephew to play. "I know we plan on appealing it as high as we can go," she said.

Baker said Diboll ISD has documentation certifying Moye's residence and enrollment in the district, and the previous enrollment waiver — the remaining piece of paperwork lacking to satisfy the UIL for eligibility — was hung up because Jasper schools still aren't back in session.

Baker said the UIL's next executive committee meeting would likely be held the first week of November — "but by that time the football season is over, and for this kid, his junior season for football is gone forever. And that's simply not right."

The 21-3A executive committee, minus Baker, is made up of the seven superintendents from member schools. They include Mary Ann Whiteker of Hudson ISD, Shirley Davis of Huntington ISD, Vernis Rogers of Central ISD and superintendents from Crockett, Palestine, Palestine Westwood and Rusk. The committee is chaired by Jim Largent, superintendent of Rusk ISD.

If a UIL executive committee reviews the case and decides in Moye's favor, it can overturn Friday's 21-3A executive committee ruling. Or a court-ordered injunction could possibly allow Moye to participate until the UIL can make a ruling.

But as of Friday, Moye was keeping his head high as he watched his classmates drop a 42-27 decision to Rusk on the football field.

"I'm OK," the soft-spoken Moye said. "Going through something like this is only going to make me stronger."

piratebg
10-22-2005, 08:54 AM
This really sounds like a messed up situation. I don't understand why they won't let the kid play if he moved with family. I hope the UIL overturns this one, but I don't see why the NAACP needs to be involved.

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Is there another side to this story?

This doesn't make sense to me at all! How can everyone who had to move play, but he can't?

Something HAS so be missing, because if it's not....then that means the UIL is full of idiots!!:eek: :eek:

GreenMonster
10-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
the UIL is full of idiots!!:eek: :eek:

I agree whole heartedly.

gobbler grad
10-22-2005, 09:29 AM
yeah, there is something wrong with this picture...why would they be singling out this one student (athlete)...:thinking: are we missing something, because it doesn't make sense...:confused: ...he is no different than all the others that have moved around...hope it gets straightened out soon.

LH Panther Mom
10-22-2005, 09:29 AM
This is total crap! It's amazing to me the idiocy of some people that are in charge of school districts. :rolleyes:

18handicap
10-22-2005, 09:30 AM
How 'bout the district executive committee is full of idiots??? How can the UIL be that way yet?? Diboll now needs to appeal to the UIL quick. Then we'll know where the UIL stands.

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
How 'bout the district executive committee is full of idiots??? How can the UIL be that way yet?? Diboll now needs to appeal to the UIL quick. Then we'll know where the UIL stands.

Ohhhhhh! So it hasn't gone as far as the UIL yet??

There has GOT to be something missing though!!

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 09:39 AM

This doesn't make sense to me at all! How can everyone who had to move play, but he can't?

Something HAS so be missing, because if it's not....then that means the UIL is full of idiots!!:eek: :eek:

Of course there is another side to the story. You don't think 7 supers. would thumb their nose at the UIL who have allowed a blanket trasfer for hurricane reasons?

There were issues as to his residence within the Diboll district that apparently weren't remedied until a later date than the initial attendance at Diboll. I believe this is what has sparked the debate. I am putting together here info. that I have heard. It may not be entirely or even partly correct, but he was living with his Aunt in Lufkin and driving with her to Diboll to school. Her not being his parent doesn't give him the right to go to Diboll because she works there. At some point Moye's mother and he moved to Diboll to satisfy the residency requirement and the superintendents from the neighboring district don't agree with how it all came about. If I am wrong about these details I am sorry, but that is the only sense I have been able to make about all of this.

3afan
10-22-2005, 09:41 AM
.... the UIL is full of idiots!!:eek: :eek:

its the The District 21-3A executive committee that made the decision, not the UIL

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
its the The District 21-3A executive committee that made the decision, not the UIL

Yeah...after someone else posted that I went back and reread what I THOUGHT I had already thoroughly read!

What Huper just said makes more sense than anything else I have read though....(that is assuming I read IT correctly;) )

3afan
10-22-2005, 09:54 AM
there's always more to every story, isnt there ???

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Yeah...after someone else posted that I went back and reread what I THOUGHT I had already thoroughly read!

What Huper just said makes more sense than anything else I have read though....(that is assuming I read IT correctly;) )

If I read it you better read it closely. Once again I stress that is information that I have put together from various sources. I could be wrong and if I am then I apologize, but it seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me. I believe the Superintendents feel like he should have enrolled in Lufkin initially instead of Diboll and didn't make the actual move to Diboll until he was met with resistance..sure seems to be what is happening. Superintendents don't just buck the UIL without good cause.

I am in no way agreeing with the Superintendents or saying they are right, I am saying THEY THINK THEY ARE RIGHT. Personally, I think they should let the young man play. His family has been through alot these last few weeks and this certainly would not be happening if not for the Hurricane. The UIL will probably sanction them all if they don't acquiesce, but by then it will be too late for Diboll's playoff hopes I am afraid.

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
If I read it you better read it closely. Once again I stress that is information that I have put together from various sources. I could be wrong and if I am then I apologize, but it seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me. I believe the Superintendents feel like he should have enrolled in Lufkin initially instead of Diboll and didn't make the actual move to Diboll until he was met with resistance..sure seems to be what is happening. Superintendents don't just buck the UIL without good cause.

In that case, since he didn't reside in Diboll at the time, couldn't he still play on J.V?

For some reason, I thought that only pertained to Varsity.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 10:00 AM
In that case, since he didn't reside in Diboll at the time, couldn't he still play on J.V?

This kid was the Houson Area Sophomore player of the year...He isn't going to be playing JV football ever again if he can help it.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 10:02 AM

This kid was the Houson Area Sophomore player of the year...He isn't going to be playing JV football ever again if he can help it.

That would be a sight to behold though. I would imagine he could score against a lot of JVs with little or no help. :)

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 10:06 AM

That would be a sight to behold though. I would imagine he could score against a lot of JVs with little or no help. :)

I understand that, of course. I was trying to get the "rules" straight in my head.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I understand that, of course. I was trying to get the "rules" straight in my head.

I am sure there a lot of things your husband wishes he could straighten up in your head!!:D

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I am sure there a lot of things your husband wishes he could straighten up in your head!!:D

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Could be....he would never say that to my face though!!;)

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 10:49 AM
I have seen the way you handle snakes..neither would I!!!

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 10:52 AM
I have seen the way you handle snakes..neither would I!!!

Hey now....I am not one of those "Macho Moms"!!:p

Just not that scared of snakes! (I was married to one for 10 years):rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
10-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey now....I am not one of those "Macho Moms"!!:p

Just not that scared of snakes! (I was married to one for 10 years):rolleyes: She's just one of those West Texas gals........... :D

Too bad this kid is not being ALLOWED to play the GAME of football.....what a waste of entertainment, don't ya think???? :thinking:

Ranger Mom
10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
She's just one of those West Texas gals

:clap: :clap: YEAH!!! what YaYa said!!:D

WOS1
10-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with Moye's mother. All of this revolves around the fact tha Moye is an outstanding athlete. If he were a so-so athlete, this wouldn't even be an issue.

These people do not have the right to deny him being able to play. It's not his fault Hurricane Rita it SE Texas. Another thing, it's not like he's trying to go play for some state power or anything like that. Diboll will not even make the playoffs.

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 12:32 PM
There's more to this story. Just wait and all will be revealed.

Paratrooper
10-22-2005, 12:40 PM

I agree RangerMom. This just doesn't meet the common sense test. If the kid already waited his 15 days what is the beef? He should be allowed to play....PERIOD. However, we may not be getting the full story here. It does make me a little suspicious once the NAACP gets their hands in anything. They are a very radical organization with agendas to divide people based off of the pigment of their skin.

andy_dufresne
10-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
There's more to this story. Just wait and all will be revealed.

Yeah, like the Jasper AD being buddy buddy with Breinhaupt at the UIL.....Hmmmmm......

Gobbla2001
10-22-2005, 01:05 PM
He lived in Lufkin and went to school in Diboll, I can see that being a semi-decent reason to keep the kid from playing...

However, it's not like they got the Hurricane warning 5 months ago...

These folks were/are scrambling to get their lives normal again, that's why the UIL stepped in and made rules for this...

Just let the kid play... He'll just whup your butts next year if not this year...

Gobbla2001
10-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I also believe that if Moye moved to one of the schools against him playing for Diboll, they'd change their mind... may change it slowly as to say "We still feel the way we felt before", but shortly after they'd be saying "wait, it isn't such a bad idea"...

Just move to Cuero, Moye... You play a good DB, right?

Gobbla2001
10-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Aw hell, I have more thoughts...

If I were an athlete, and was changing schools for athletic reasons, there would be two reasons...

Reason #1 So I could showcase my talent for college scouts (that would help him get a scholorship and further his education, kind of educational in a round about way)

Reason #2 So I would have a chance to win...

Let's see, play for Lufkin (Semi-Finalists last year, dang good this year, 5A meaning more scouts, only drop-off could be less PT) or play for Diboll... hmmmmmmm

spiveyrat
10-22-2005, 04:27 PM
The article stated Jasper schools were not in session. Not true.

Terrible injustice not letting him play ball. I have a feeling someone's going to get sued! :eek:

bulldogbark
10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
andy_dufresne said.
Yeah, like the Jasper AD being buddy buddy with Breinhaupt at the UIL.....Hmmmmm
Do you have proof of this statement, I have known the Jasper AD for nearly 30 years and He is not the type of person to do something like that. Now if you have proof. thats fine but if your just slinging things out here just to be part of the problem then you need to keep it to yourself. I just love it when people are wrong and dont know what they are talking about. get the facts first.

GreenMonster
10-22-2005, 05:25 PM
ya know, I do not get the feeling at all that Jasper ISD or the Jasper coaches are trying to stand in the way of this young man from getting back onto the field of play. I instead have the feeling that all involved on the Jsper side wish this young man nothing but the best. It is my opinion that the fools in control of the district committee that ruled on this are making a terrible mistake. From what I have read here the young man moved in with his Aunt in Lufkin. She works for the Diboll School district. Young man goes to school where the Aunt works for convenience purposes. District committee says "no, you have to live in the district to be elegible for sports." Kid and Mom move into the District to abide by Committee's ruling. Committee meets again and decides that kid moved into the district for athletic purposes per their previous ruling that he must live in the district in order to play. Sure looks like the District Committee set a trap for this young man. By telling him he had to live INSIDE the district to participate in athletics the committee forced his hand to move and now once he has complied with their first ruling the Committee is claiming he moved from Lufkin to Diboll for athletic purposes only. That's CHICKEN POO POO!!!! Sue the Hades out of 'em Moye. They deserve it for their little power play to ensure he won't be able to beat up on the other teams of that District.

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, let's make sure that we sue all these school districts. Let's let lawyers get involved. After all, we all know that these schools have plenty of money right?:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
andy_dufresne said.
Do you have prove of this statement, I have kown the Jasper AD for nearly 30 years and He is not the type of person to do something like that. Now if you have proof. thats fine but if your just slinging things out here just to be part of the problem then you need to keep it to yourself. I just love it when people are wrong and dont know what they are talking about. get the facts first. ditto

GreenMonster
10-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, let's make sure that we sue all these school districts. Let's let lawyers get involved. After all, we all know that these schools have plenty of money right?:rolleyes:

Don't roll your eyes at me. :p

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 08:05 PM
It's a bad situation that could only be made worse by lawsuits. But point taken...:rolleyes: :D :D :D

lostaussie
10-22-2005, 08:13 PM
i posted this story early this morning knowing there would be some debate on both sides. personally. i don't have a horse in the race. but, i do know this. gilbert moye is a fantastic athlete. i do not know any of the circumstances regarding either side. all i can say is that i hope the grown ups are making the CORRECT decision and not one that is in their own best interests. i do have my doubts.

GreenMonster
10-22-2005, 08:17 PM
It's a bad situation that could only be made worse by lawsuits. But point taken...:rolleyes: :D :D :D

What's bad here is that it might be his only course of action. I seem to remember a couple of kids that sued in order to get an injuction that allowed them to play for Pilot Point after transferring from Celina. They were first ruled ineligible by the district for having transferred for athletic reasons. I just feel really bad for the Moye kid who, from all accounts I've heard, is a great kid and deserves something good to happen in his favor.

JasperDog94
10-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What's bad here is that it might be his only course of action. I seem to remember a couple of kids that sued in order to get an injuction that allowed them to play for Pilot Point after transferring from Celina. They were first ruled ineligible by the district for having transferred for athletic reasons. I just feel really bad for the Moye kid who, from all accounts I've heard, is a great kid and deserves something good to happen in his favor. If I remember correctly the UIL found in favor of the district in the end. But it was too late then. I may be thinking of another case, but I thought it was that one.

West22
10-22-2005, 10:01 PM
I think that the community of Jasper should get a mobile home for his family and let Gilbert move back to Jasper and began playing football at once .I think that the hurrican relief could help them to come back and re establish

bulldogbark
10-22-2005, 10:39 PM
as a community several offers have already been made for living areas. You have to remember Jasper only recently started having electricity. I got mine back on last Saturday.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Jasper just started school this past Tuesday also. I am quite sure the Moye's know how welcome they are in Jasper, but obviously they have to do what is best for them in the long run.

Tiger90
10-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
Yeah, like the Jasper AD being buddy buddy with Breinhaupt at the UIL.....Hmmmmm......

I thought it was just HardinJefferson who Breinhaupt "helped". I know HJ's numerous ties, but what are Coleman's?

bulldogbark
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
NONE, that was just a post from a person who didnt know what he was talking about. speaking from the great nether end:mad:

j_dog
10-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
as a community several offers have already been made for living areas. You have to remember Jasper only recently started having electricity. I got mine back on last Saturday.
You mean to say that Moye and his grandmother could be living in Jasper right now if they chose to? How wonderful! And here I was under the impression that no one in Jasper was willing to help them with lodging. And I think Gilbert posted somewhere that he wanted to rejoin his Jasper team-mates as soon as possible. And yet there are offers of housing? This is all so confusing. I just cannot figure it all out. If there is housing available in Jasper, how can it be NECESSARY to live in Lufkin, or Diboll? Seems like a "choice" to me. I have never heard that Gilbert has been told that he cannot play in Jasper if just playing football is what this whole issue is about.

I am a strong Gilbert Moye fan and wish him the very best in life, but frankly to me it has come across like Jasper abandoned Gilbert and his family. Yet, I have never seen or heard one iota bit of evidence that that is true. If it is true, then it is high time for the people of Jasper to rise up and correct that situation.

bulldogbark
10-23-2005, 12:44 AM
I am like you. I just dont know any more and we probley wont get a clear answer from anybody. I will cheer for the dogs. and whoever wears the bulldog uniform. I wish the best to any other team or person, until they play us:) and afterward its back to nomral.

AggiesAreWe
10-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I believe Coleman coached under Breitupt. I think, and I could be wrong, he was his assistant at West Brook. That's the only connection I know of.

sicem74
10-23-2005, 02:51 PM
wow so awesome good for moye!