PDA

View Full Version : 22 3-a...10/21

Pirate66
10-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Shepherd 34- Buna 0
Jasper 52- K'ville 21

I dont know what the Silsbee/Coldspring score was I just know Silsbee won.....Does anyone know the final score?

AggiesAreWe
10-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Silsbee beat Coldspring 40-0. The Tigers emptied there bench to start the 3rd quarter, they led 33-0 at halftime.

AggiesAreWe
10-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Also, I was at the Shepherd-Buna game last night here in Silsbee and I was very suprised to see the lack of support for Shepherd. I actually counted how many fans they had in the stands, 84. With the band and cheerleaders, I guess the total support would have been around 150-160. That sucks. If you guys are wanting to talk about how much better Shepherd is and that they should be considered as a possible playoff team, you couldn't tell by the fan support. Tiger Stadium, with it's new addition, now holds over 10,000, but other than the home side last night ( it was Buna's homecoming ) the place looked pretty empty.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Not every team travels very well. Shepherd has good crowds at home. I bet if they make the playoffs they will have a nice group of blue on their side. Don't forget they are a small 3A school also.

AggiesAreWe
10-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Actually, Shepherd is the 3rd largest in our district at 560. Kirbyville and Buna are our smallest, but they bring more to the games.

Paratrooper
10-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
Also, I was at the Shepherd-Buna game last night here in Silsbee and I was very suprised to see the lack of support for Shepherd. I actually counted how many fans they had in the stands, 84. With the band and cheerleaders, I guess the total support would have been around 150-160. That sucks. If you guys are wanting to talk about how much better Shepherd is and that they should be considered as a possible playoff team, you couldn't tell by the fan support. Tiger Stadium, with it's new addition, now holds over 10,000, but other than the home side last night ( it was Buna's homecoming ) the place looked pretty empty.

Thats pretty sad to have only 84 folks to support the team. That is basically parents and grandparents in the stands. I fault the administration over in shepard for that. They could entice students to show up and definently require their facualty to be there. No matter if there team is good, average or great, the school should do what it can to get the folks out there to see these young men. They are working just as hard to win as some of the better teams. It just tells me they probably need a regime change over at Shepard. If they don't support the football team they probably don't take an active role in a lot of other extra-curricular activities.

Old Cardinal
10-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Shepherd has a long way to go, that I agree; however, they are coming around at a fast pace. Softball last year went several rounds including a win over BH who had a good team. Football is usually the last sport to come around unless you are blessed with an 850 plus enrollment which Shepherd has about half that.
Shepherd is competitive now and that is a good start for the football program.
These are good ranchers and hard working people and they have sense enough to not live in the pollution LOL

bulldogbark
10-22-2005, 12:47 PM
there are teams with far larger enrollments than 850 that football has not come around "YET" it happens to matter what team shows up to play. Example Newton, would like to see what some large 3A could do against this small 2A school.

Paratrooper
10-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
there are teams with far larger enrollments than 850 that football has not come around "YET" it happens to matter what team shows up to play. Example Newton, would like to see what some large 3A could do against this small 2A school.

Newton and don't forget Celina either. Newton is almost freakish the way they turn out great athletes. That Newton coach is to be admired for what he has done through the years over there.

Old Cardinal
10-22-2005, 03:41 PM
In these discussions Newton is always used as an example. Truth is, a Newton program does not come along very often. Curtis Barbay teaches fundamental tackling and blocking to perfection and they have a tremendous desire.
The stats are nationwide that say little schools lose more than big schools. and yes nearly every state system has an exception like Newton. Barbay is the best Coach that I know presently in HS ball.
Once a program is crushed by a bunch of 50+ scores it is awful hard to get a school to catch the vision that they can be successful.
That is way some, usually older Coaches, even today give no quarter and try to beat each team by 60 points are better in their districts-- they want to humiliate the opposing teams' kids so they think they cannot ever win again.
That type Coach is rare today, usually near retirement and usually blessed with "short-guy syndrome" LOL They give no quarter and expect no quarter. It is interesting--off the field they can be a very different kind person.

Pirate66
10-22-2005, 06:20 PM

It's sad to say but we have a lot of "fair weather" fans and after the way we played the first half last week against Silsbee i wasn't suprised to see the lack of support at the Buna game

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Actually, Shepherd is the 3rd largest in our district at 560. Kirbyville and Buna are our smallest, but they bring more to the games.

560 may be third in our district but that isn't very large. Consider that they were having to drive 1.5 hours to a game against the worst team in the district..I can see why some people stayed home. Shepherd hasn't had a rich history in football, but I went to two games at Shepherd last year and was very impressed with their fan base and football team.

expect2win08
10-22-2005, 10:50 PM
and another thing is everyone doesnt really know the new schedule... i know for a fact that the coaches have put out word in everyway possible to let people know when and where the games will be played, but there is only so much that you can do...

Tiger90
10-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
I fault the administration over in shepard for that. They could entice students to show up and definently require their facualty to be there.

How is lack of fan support a school administration's fault? How do you entice students to show up? It comes down to community pride. You can not require faculty to be there. That entire district probably doesn't have 100-150 employees.

Off topic but since we are talking about the district, Coldspring has to have one of the worst coaching staff's in the state. They have tons of talent and speed yet stupid mistakes negate anything/everything they do. I would be scared to death of this team if they could just get organized and disciplined with the fundamentals. I can not tell you how many offsides and too many players on the field penalties they had. That program was showing no discipline.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
I fault the administration over in shepard for that. They could entice students to show up and definently require their facualty to be there. No matter if there team is good, average or great, the school should do what it can to get the folks out there to see these young men. They are working just as hard to win as some of the better teams. It just tells me they probably need a regime change over at Shepard. If they don't support the football team they probably don't take an active role in a lot of other extra-curricular activities.

I personally know these administrators, and while certainly you have every right to blame whoever or whatever you want to on their poor attendance, you don't know much if anything about Shepherd's school systems and really shouldn't be laying blame on hard-working professionals who you don't know.

I could make the generalization about you that you make impetous and rash decision based upon your unfounded criticism of people and a school system you know nothing about..but then again I would be guilty of the same thing as you are here--unneccesary attacks on someone I know nothing about.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Tiger90

Off topic but since we are talking about the district, Coldspring has to have one of the worst coaching staff's in the state. They have tons of talent and speed yet stupid mistakes negate anything/everything they do. I would be scared to death of this team if they could just get organized and disciplined with the fundamentals. I can not tell you how many offsides and too many players on the field penalties they had. That program was showing no discipline.

There new coach was suppose to of had some success at his previous stay, but they have sure have been pathetic as of late. I have tried to convince my Jasper friend the same thing that you said here..IF Coldspring ever plays like I have seen them play in the past they are a real force.

Hupernikomen
10-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
In these discussions Newton is always used as an example. Truth is, a Newton program does not come along very often. s

Yeah in this part of the state you are so correct. They are the exception to the rule. But there are Newton's it seems all over the state. We have Newton, others have Celina. Always that super dominate team that rarely is anything but the best in their area in their classification. It does seem that one common denominator is long-term old school coaching.