PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Astro 25- Man Roster

GWOOD
10-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Inspired by the posts of lostaussie, Vrabird, setex, Gobbla2001, and the website given by cdlvj listing all of the former and present Astro players....plus having the luxury of a day off...I have put together my All-Time Astro 25-man roster.

Qualifications: 1) Had to play a minimum of 2 full seasons for the Astros (therefore no Bobby Abreu or Carlos Belter, Carlos Belan, or whatever that guy's name was that played for us last year)
2) Only performance in an Astro uniform counts (Joe Morgan's best years were with the Reds)

So here's my 25-man roster

Starters
C - Brad Ausmus
1B - Jeff Bagwell
2B - Craig Biggio
SS - Dickie Thon
3B - Ken Caminiti
LF - Jose Cruz
CF - Cesar Cedeno
RF - Jim Wynn

Subs: Alan Ashby (C), Bob Watson (1B/OF), Joe Morgan (2B), Doug Rader (3B), Roger Metzger (SS), Lance Berkman (OF), Moises Alou (OF)

Starting Rotation: Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, J.R. Richard, Mike Scott, Roy Oswalt

Bullpen: Larry Dierker (Middle Relief/Starting Pitcher), Joe Sambito, Dave Smith, Brad Lidge, Billy Wagner (Closer)

Batting Lineup
Biggio
Cruz
Cedeno
Wynn
Bagwell
Caminiti
Thon
Ausmus

Let the debate begin boys!!!!

Mustang Fan
10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Darryl Kile

Mustang Fan
10-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Not that they should be on this list, but I loved watching Billy Hatcher, Glen Davis, Kevin Bass, Derrick Bell, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzales, Mike Hampton, and Jose Lima. I met Kevin Bass at a baseball camp a few years back at Lamar University. Very nice guy.

ej2525
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
I think I would throw Mike Hampton into that bullpen rotation!

GS#17
10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Since I can't stand Joe Morgan as an announcer (and you're right about Rule #2), I'm going to have to take him out of the lineup and put Bill Doran in as the sub for Biggio.

I'm putting Glenn Davis in as a sub for 1st base -- he was a great fielder and batter during the late 80s. Also, because I have an Enos Cabell bat (from way back when they had bat day at the Dome), coupled with the fact I never cared for Caminiti, we have a new 3rd baseman...

lostaussie
10-21-2005, 02:06 PM
first game i ever went to was 1973 and it was team photo night. i still have that photo somewhere. i need to dig it out.
starting lineup
lf jim wynn
cf cesar cedeno another of my all time favorites
rf jesus alou
3b doug radar
ss roger metzger
2b tommy helms
1st either bob watson or lee may
can't remember catcher back then
i think dierker was pitching but hey, i was young back then

BTEXDAD
10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Seems like you did a good job, gwood. My first thought was that Glenn davis should be on there, but Watson ahead of him is better choice for backup first base.
There have been lots of good pitchers there. not room for all, but Mike Hampton, Joe Niekro and even Don Wilson are strong honorable mention choices for starters.
Terry Puhl was always one of my favorite players, good fielder, fast, but wouldn't beat out any you have. Bill Doran was good second baseman in mid 80s.
When considering offense and defense, it's hard to believe there hasn't been a better catcher than Ausmus, but Ashby would be only one I'd consider above him.
For a relief pitcher/character to keep the team laughing, how about Charlie Kerfeld. A one season wonder in '86.

AggieJohn
10-21-2005, 02:15 PM
billy wagner

lostaussie
10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
didn't kerfield wear those coke bottle glasses

BTEXDAD
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
didn't kerfield wear those coke bottle glasses
that was him. He was like 10-1 in 1986.
besides that, he just ate a lot and got fat.

GWOOD
10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

When considering offense and defense, it's hard to believe there hasn't been a better catcher than Ausmus, but Ashby would be only one I'd consider above him.

For a relief pitcher/character to keep the team laughing, how about Charlie Kerfeld. A one season wonder in '86.

About the catchers: It is hard to believe that in 40+ years we have been average to good on all of our catchers, but no greats; Big Daddy Russ put Biggio in the catcher spot

....you have a good point about Kerfield. One of the non-tangible things...Someone to keep it fun

Vrabird
10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I think Johnny Edwards was catching on that team.

Vrabird
10-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey GWOOD, too bad that lineup can't be assembled today. One awsome hitting club that would be.

Leopards,class of 75
10-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Inspired by the posts of lostaussie, Vrabird, setex, Gobbla2001, and the website given by cdlvj listing all of the former and present Astro players....plus having the luxury of a day off...I have put together my All-Time Astro 25-man roster.

Qualifications: 1) Had to play a minimum of 2 full seasons for the Astros (therefore no Bobby Abreu or Carlos Belter, Carlos Belan, or whatever that guy's name was that played for us last year)
2) Only performance in an Astro uniform counts (Joe Morgan's best years were with the Reds)

So here's my 25-man roster

Starters
C - Brad Ausmus
1B - Jeff Bagwell
2B - Craig Biggio
SS - Dickie Thon
3B - Ken Caminiti
LF - Jose Cruz
CF - Cesar Cedeno
RF - Jim Wynn

Subs: Alan Ashby (C), Bob Watson (1B/OF), Joe Morgan (2B), Doug Rader (3B), Roger Metzger (SS), Lance Berkman (OF), Moises Alou (OF)

Starting Rotation: Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, J.R. Richard, Mike Scott, Roy Oswalt

Bullpen: Larry Dierker (Middle Relief/Starting Pitcher), Joe Sambito, Dave Smith, Brad Lidge, Billy Wagner (Closer)

Batting Lineup
Biggio
Cruz
Cedeno
Wynn
Bagwell
Caminiti
Thon
Ausmus

Let the debate begin boys!!!! Good job gwood! Those names brought back great memories of many seasons! How would you like to face that pitching staff??? NO WAY!!!

lostaussie
10-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Vrabird
I think Johnny Edwards was catching on that team. thanks, i think you are correct. one of those guys who throws right and batted left.

necks
10-22-2005, 11:27 AM
You gotta have Stretch Suba as the bullpen catcher too...haha..