PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate Pass Interference IN NFL

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 09:46 AM
I've been watching pro football for almost 50 years and I think the NFL should seriously consider dropping pass interference as a penalty. The calls by the NFL officials are too inconsistent and have had a major bearing on too many games, especially playoffs. I think the players should be allowed to "play" the game. A defender should be able to knock a receiver off his route anytime, anywhere provided he doesn't "grab" him or hit him while he is defenseless (there are currently rules in place to cover these situations). A receiver should be allowed to separate from a defender by "pushing off" or knocking him down. Let the athletes play the game as it was intended and "fight for the ball" on every pass play. This is what seems to be actually occurring to some degree on just about every pass play anyway, officials could call PI on every play,so why not do away with the inconsistent subjectivity of PI calls altogether and not have entire team's seasons go down the drain because of a single PI call? At the very least, I would accept compromise if they would change the PI rule from "spot of the foul" to "spot of the foul" under 15 yds, and 15yd penalty over 15 yds. What do you say?

handNthedirt
10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree with doing away with spot of the foul, but I believe getting rid of pass interference would change the game too much. It would do away with the cornerback as we know them, fast skill players, and be replaced with guys like Ray Lewis who would mug the recievers at the LOS, ending any, and all, passing game.

BTEXDAD
10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
interesting thoughts, bull, but will never happen.
I can see what you're saying. Having defensive holding as penalty, but no pass interference. That would be easier to call for refs also.

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
I agree with doing away with spot of the foul, but I believe getting rid of pass interference would change the game too much. It would do away with the cornerback as we know them, fast skill players, and be replaced with guys like Ray Lewis who would mug the recievers at the LOS, ending any, and all, passing game.

What's the diff, hntd, they can hit the receivers now within 5 yds of the line as long as the ball is not in the air. I don't think most NFL wide receivers would have much trouble separating from Ray Lewis if they could "push off", there is just too great of a speed gap.

zeus63
10-20-2005, 10:11 AM
You are absolutely right. The pass interference rules in the NFL are ridiculous. It has turned the NFL's paasing game into more of a track meet than a football game. However, I don't think that thye need to get rid of the penalty alltogether, they just need to revise it to allow more contact after the 5 yard cushion.

handNthedirt
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What's the diff, hntd, they can hit the receivers now within 5 yds of the line as long as the ball is not in the air. I don't think most NFL wide receivers would have much trouble separating from Ray Lewis if they could "push off", there is just too great of a speed gap.

true, but there is a big difference between getting 'hit' by Terrance Newman or Champ Bailey, and getting 'HIT IN THE MOUTH' by Ray Lewis or J.Trotter....forget getting off the LOS, they would need help getting off the field.

Stretch04
10-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I've been watching pro football for almost 50 years and I think the NFL should seriously consider dropping pass interference as a penalty. The calls by the NFL officials are too inconsistent and have had a major bearing on too many games, especially playoffs. I think the players should be allowed to "play" the game. A defender should be able to knock a receiver off his route anytime, anywhere provided he doesn't "grab" him or hit him while he is defenseless (there are currently rules in place to cover these situations). A receiver should be allowed to separate from a defender by "pushing off" or knocking him down. Let the athletes play the game as it was intended and "fight for the ball" on every pass play. This is what seems to be actually occurring to some degree on just about every pass play anyway, officials could call PI on every play,so why not do away with the inconsistent subjectivity of PI calls altogether and not have entire team's seasons go down the drain because of a single PI call? At the very least, I would accept compromise if they would change the PI rule from "spot of the foul" to "spot of the foul" under 15 yds, and 15yd penalty over 15 yds. What do you say?

Dude your OLD

Stretch04
10-20-2005, 10:44 AM
But I agree Let them go at it.

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Stretch04
Dude your OLD

lol. No way around it, Stretch---good to know I'm young enough to still be called a "dude".

mwynn05
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
lol. No way around it, Stretch---good to know I'm young enough to still be called a "dude". they are wanting to make the rule in college like it is in the NFL

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 11:00 AM
I think we are all aware what drives the NFL to structure the PI rule like it is----scoring. The NFL wants high scoring games to generate more fan appeal, ergo, more revenue.

IHStangFan
10-20-2005, 11:00 AM
would make things interesting thats for sure....but at the same time, i think it'd totally change the game and especially the two positions, WR and DB.

ro_tex_solja
10-20-2005, 12:02 PM
that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of....a cornerback is the the hardest position out of all of them but still they should not be allowed to just knock a guy off the route...everything is good the way it is

BlueBlood
10-20-2005, 12:16 PM

I agree. Lets do away with the pick rule also. Let the offense do what they want and then let the defense get after their butt.

Gobbla2001
10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
It's something I wouldn't mind seeing...

As Bull stated, the holding rule should be kept etc... but when the ball is up in the air I don't see any problem with the players going at each other for position... Hell, just 30 yards behind them there are linemen knocking the crap out of each other...

Another rule I really hate is the blocking in the back rule... not because I do not see the point, but that it is called too often when players are blocked from the side, just happens to look like it is from the back... they need to figure out some way to make this rule different... I dunno what it is now, but it sux to see it called...

I've watched 100's of football games in my day, and I can prolly count on one hand the games I saw that didn't have a block in the back penalty called...

big daddy russ
10-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of....a cornerback is the the hardest position out of all of them...
I've heard two things stupider today:

1) Jessica Simpson won a Bum Steer Award a few years ago for telling the Secretary of the Interior, "I love what you've done with the White House."
2) Corner is the hardest position in football.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
I dont think the problem is with Pass interference as a rule, my problem is the fact it is never called the same way twice.

ro_tex_solja
10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've heard two things stupider today:

1) Jessica Simpson won a Bum Steer Award a few years ago for telling the Secretary of the Interior, "I love what you've done with the White House."
2) Corner is the hardest position in football.

ok smart guy i forgot to put on defense...

garageoffice
10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
I certainly agree that the PI penalty has its problems, but just think how defense would be played without it. As a corner, I'd play back a little, forget about bumping the receiver. My job would just be to stay in position so that once the ball is in the air I can get a good shot into him while he's looking at the ball and it's all over. Completion rates would drop to 10% and the slant would actually become a defensible route. The only passes that would be completed would be the ones that are very short and quick or where an ideal matchup allows a guy to flat outrun his defender. Add to that what a Roy Williams type safety would be capable of doing once the ball went up and the entire game would really change.

big daddy russ
10-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
ok smart guy i forgot to put on defense...
:D

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I certainly agree that the PI penalty has its problems, but just think how defense would be played without it. As a corner, I'd play back a little, forget about bumping the receiver. My job would just be to stay in position so that once the ball is in the air I can get a good shot into him while he's looking at the ball and it's all over. Completion rates would drop to 10% and the slant would actually become a defensible route. The only passes that would be completed would be the ones that are very short and quick or where an ideal matchup allows a guy to flat outrun his defender. Add to that what a Roy Williams type safety would be capable of doing once the ball went up and the entire game would really change.

if u played off and allowed the WR to get free release the slant would not be defensable, You would be giving the WR the inside and you being off the line his break would cut in front of you.

If you played inside technique without a bump the WR would take the outside fades and outs, and again if your playing man and playing off the WR he would dicate the route not the CB.

If you turned to run with him he would break it off, if you stayed in the back peddle he would blow past you....Unless your running the 40 in 4.3

chs_#75
10-20-2005, 11:50 PM
At the very least, I would accept compromise if they would change the PI rule from "spot of the foul" to "spot of the foul" under 15 yds, and 15yd penalty over 15 yds. What do you say?

if you did this, then if a defender was being threatened deep, and scared of being scored on he would take the foul, save a touchdown... w/ little penalty... a measely 15 yards (spell check), better consequence then a touchdown... jus cant do it...