PDA

View Full Version : Canton Head Coach Interview

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2005, 04:05 PM
I talked with coach Kinne of Canton on the East Texas 3A Report. We talk about his health, if he still enjoys coaching, but we mainly focus on the team, because that is what he wanted to do.

jereme hubbard and I also review last week and preview this weeks big games in East Texas 3A

Just clic the link

TXPN (www.txpn.net)

FootballChik98
10-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks! As always, great job!

GreenMonster
10-19-2005, 10:50 PM
This guy is so lucky to be alive, much less on the field this season.

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This guy is so lucky to be alive, much less on the field this season.

Your right..and he realizes that. He use to be the typical fire and brimstone get all excited style of coach, and he son told me earlier this year that it is such a different coach now.

FootballChik98
10-20-2005, 02:17 PM
He does seem to be a bit more mellow, as you said in the interview.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by FootballChik98
He does seem to be a bit more mellow, as you said in the interview.

He is, but at times the fire comes back..I think Kinne is learning that their is a time to explode and a time not to. As tragic as all this has been, I honestly think it has helped him become a better coach in the sense that now instead of exploding, he takes a mistake and uses that as a teaching point.

Let not hide one fact. before all this there was an underground of turmoil in Canton about Kinne. They thought he focused the offense on his son to much, they did not like the style Canton played and a bunch of other things.

I think the events changed that somewhat on BOTH sides. Kinne has become a bit more mellow, and the town has got to know him more.

Anyone who knows about Canton knows it is a band and girls basketball town first, but I think they are slowly becoming a football town as well

etbu
10-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Broadcaster who do see coming out of the east texas Di and DII? LE have a chance and can they play with Palenstine?

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by etbu
Broadcaster who do see coming out of the east texas Di and DII? LE have a chance and can they play with Palenstine?

Do they have a chance..yes..but you have to realize Palestine is Region III LE is Regon II so they go to opposite ends of the bracket till the end.

In D-1 I think Palestine has a chance. They are fast, have size have two good RB and a great WR in Leon Mickens.

But once again NOBODY count out Atlanta, they are talented and have played without question the toughest schedule for a 3A team and Atlanta is fast and physical.

In D-2...I have to tell you..I am not sure East Texas will win their round three battle with the DFW teams this year( of course that depends on who makes it from the DFW area)

East Texas 3A is not as powerful this year. Gilmer has the talent, but they are so young. Tatum has the defense, but they are breaking in a sophmore QB.

Van and Canton are good, but would not say Great.

Daingerfield has really struggled in last 4 weeks.

Center who made such a deep run last year is 0-2 in district

Carthage is playing under a first year coach, and while they are solid, I would not say great.

Rusk has a great offensive player in Justin Sturns, but they are not a complete team.

We find out more about LE this week. I love their offense, and their defense has speed

So much parity, no powerhouses at least at this point.

FootballChik98
10-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Anyone who knows about Canton knows it is a band and girls basketball town first, but I think they are slowly becoming a football town as well

That is so true. I didn't move to Canton until after Coach Kinne was here, but before that the girls' basketball team and the band were the only things I really knew about Canton, other than First Monday!

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by FootballChik98
That is so true. I didn't move to Canton until after Coach Kinne was here, but before that the girls' basketball team and the band were the only things I really knew about Canton, other than First Monday!

Well I will put it you this way...Last year when I was working for Canton radio station..We made more sales on the Broadcast of the Band's trip to state competition than we did in two years of football broadcast sales. And this is two years of Canton being a combined 15-6 and their first play-off win since 1963

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
I had a "Canton" connection last season, and I agree with you TXb. At a couple of Canton games a good portion of the fans got up and left after the band's half-time performance. And there was a lot of misunsderstanding and hard feelings about the coach's son. There was the disappointment of an 8-2 season record and no playoff. The G.J. Kinne shooting incident was just deplorable. Thank God one nut does not a cake make. I hope more Canton fans will get behind the Eagles like FootballChik98 has continued to do, and continue to support them. They just might be District 15-3A champs and may go pretty deep into the playoffs. To me, the UIL-award winning Canton band combined with a play-off caliber football team is a "dream" HS combo.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I had a "Canton" connection last season, and I agree with you TXb. At a couple of Canton games a good portion of the fans got up and left after the band's half-time performance. And there was a lot of misunsderstanding and hard feelings about the coach's son. The G.J. Kinne shooting incident was just deplorable. Thank God one nut does not a cake make. I hope more Canton fans will get behind the Eagles like FootballChik98 has continued to do, and continue to support them. They just might be District 15-3A champs and may go pretty deep into the playoffs. To me, the UIL-award winning Canton band combined with a play-off caliber football team is a "dream" HS combo.

Your right about the confusion and hard feelings about son playing QB...Alot of people thought Kinne ran the spread simply to show off his son, because before he got there Canton ran power football.

And he prob did do it in part to help his son, but also Canton's freshman class when Kinne got there was small and fast with no real power style back. So he built the team to it's strength.

Last year they had no real RB in the system. Barlow Reid was not at RB last year because of concussion concerns so GJ became the passing and running threat. People said Coach did that because it was his son..Maybe/maybe not. All depends on who u ask, but I know from talking with Kinne and others on staff, they knew it was going to wear down GJ, which it did.

This year with Reid's health concerns passed, he is back at RB and this has allowed Canton's offense to be balanced, and has allowed GJ to not have to be the one guy with the ball at all times

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Again, Txb, I agree with all of your comments. They are an accurate assessment. I asked the same thing at the Bullard game last year ( only one I made), about Kinne doing everything on the "O" and also playing "D". One thing really impressed me about East Texas football, those kids seem to hit "harder" than any kids I have seen play HS football anywhere. Maybe it is just my imagination, but I don't think those pad "pops" were artificial. The Bullard RB was playing hurt and still plowed a "furrow" with his pads when he was tackled hard on every play. They've got some "tough" kids in those East Texas piney woods.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Again, Txb, I agree with all of your comments. They are an accurate assessment. I asked the same thing at the Bullard game last year ( only one I made), about Kinne doing everything on the "O" and also playing "D". One thing really impressed me about East Texas football, those kids seem to hit "harder" than any kids I have seen play HS football anywhere. Maybe it is just my imagination, but I don't think those pad "pops" were artificial. The Bullard RB was playing hurt and still plowed a "furrow" with his pads when he was tackled hard on every play. They've got some "tough" kids in those East Texas piney woods.

I broadcasted that game. And your right about East Texas and their hitting.

One of the things that amazes me though is every year in 3A East Texas gets overlooked until play-off time

Bullaholic
10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
East Texas seems to be one of those areas of the state where a lot of the good teams do truly "knock each other off" before the playoffs. Gilmer made it all the way last season, but I don't know how many East Texas teams will be able to make it into the playoffs this season. That all important "playoff path" seems to catch a lot of them. If some of them could get the "easy" path in the first couple of rounds, I think there could be an East Texas "crowd" in the deeper rounds.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Well by deafult there will be two east texas teams come the third round in D-II because for the first two rounds it is East Texas vs East Texas

But i mean more towards beginning of year when picks are made. Not alot of respect is given to East Texas teams, and I am not just talking about this year, but in the past few years.

4 out of the past 6 years the D-II Champ has come out of Region II

Since 1990 an East Texas team has played in the D-1 or D-2 finals nine times

DragonEagle01
10-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Great Interview. Good job and thanks Terry. Canton has been fun to watch this year, and I sure hope they can go far into the playoffs. For Coach and the seniors, they have all been through alot. Thanks again Terry