PDA

View Full Version : Gone to Texas

Phil C
10-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Many years ago from 1825 to 1850 it wasn't unusual for folks to just pack up their belongings in a wagon and head for Texas. There was pleanty of land there that and was very cheap and they could start anew there. Many left because banks were about to foreclose or other problems mostly financial so a new start was something great and they left for Texas and helped start it to be the great Nation and State it was to become. Many left suddenly and they put on their houses the words "Gone to Texas" so family and friends would known what happened. They didn't have phones or too many telegraphs back then and the mail wasn't as efficient today so that is why they did that so that when people came by to check on them they would know. Many never saw their friends or families again but the prosperity Texas gave them and the effort they made have produced great results that are established today. Now you know where the phase Gone to Texas originally came from.

RiverRat19
10-19-2005, 03:11 PM
The signs eventually went to "G.T.T." and it became an accepted abbreviated way to let bill collectors or other authorities know that the home's inhabitants had left for Texas.

There was also a novel called "Gone to Texas" which was the basis for the movie "Outlaw Josey Wales." Many of the scenes described in the book were done almost exactly in the movie. Even traits, mannerisims, and habits (Josey's constant tobacco spitting, his Indian friend's comments and mannerisms) were done in a very similar fashion as the book.

Phil C
10-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Excellent add on River!

RiverRat19
10-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Excellent add on River!
Thanks- what prompted your post regarding GTT?

Phil C
10-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Thanks- what prompted your post regarding GTT?

It was referred to on the History Channel last week.

RiverRat19
10-19-2005, 03:43 PM
It was referred to on the History Channel last week.

Ah... I like Davy Crockett's comment after he failed to be re-elected: You all can go to he||, I'm going to Texas!... I'm sure some of his audience felt that he was talking about the same place.... We all know different, of course :)

turbostud
10-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
The signs eventually went to "G.T.T." and it became an accepted abbreviated way to let bill collectors or other authorities know that the home's inhabitants had left for Texas.

There was also a novel called "Gone to Texas" which was the basis for the movie "Outlaw Josey Wales." Many of the scenes described in the book were done almost exactly in the movie. Even traits, mannerisims, and habits (Josey's constant tobacco spitting, his Indian friend's comments and mannerisms) were done in a very similar fashion as the book.

Great movie. Here are some classic lines from that movie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

Josey Wales: Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Jamie: I wish we had time to bury them fellas.
Josey Wales: To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Phil, when I first read your post, it reminded me of a story my grandfather told me about one of his aunts. I'm not sure of the year, other than some time 1875-1890. She, her husband and their children decided to leave Tennessee for Texas in their covered wagon. Apparently, the husband was a ne'er-do-well lazy cuss who did very little on the trip and griped the entire time. After she had heard "when are we going to get there" for the eleventy-third time, she booted him out where they were and said "You're there now" and left him where he was. And no, he never did make it to Texas, as far as I know. :D

AP Panther Fan
10-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Phil, when I first read your post, it reminded me of a story my grandfather told me about one of his aunts. I'm not sure of the year, other than some time 1875-1890. She, her husband and their children decided to leave Tennessee for Texas in their covered wagon. Apparently, the husband was a ne'er-do-well lazy cuss who did very little on the trip and griped the entire time. After she had heard "when are we going to get there" for the eleventy-third time, she booted him out where they were and said "You're there now" and left him where he was. And no, he never did make it to Texas, as far as I know. :D

LOL...Great Story! He probably landed in Arkansas....thank goodness!:D

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
LOL...Great Story! He probably landed in Arkansas....thank goodness!:D
That's probably right. Funny you should say that, though. My grandfather actually moved to Arkansas back in the early to mid-'50's when he and my grandmother got divorced. He lived there until he passed away, but was insistent upon being buried at Guthrie. (That's another story.... :eek: )

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
After she had heard "when are we going to get there" for the eleventy-third time,

:D :D :D

AP Panther Fan
10-19-2005, 04:23 PM
(That's another story.... :eek: )

ha ha ha....I love old family folklore! :D

I can remember every family story my grandmother ever told me .... probably because I heard them so many times. It was funny...she always told the same stories and she NEVER changed a word...

I can't even repeat my address 10 times without changing or adding something.;)

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
:D :D :D

Okay, so I ad-libbed a little. I believe his word was "umpteenth", but I like yours so much better. :inlove:

Bullaholic
10-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Good historical thread, Phil. Anybody got any Texas history info about the great ranches in their area like the King, Wagner, or XIT?

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Good historical thread, Phil. Anybody got any Texas history info about the great ranches in their area like the King, Wagner, or XIT?

I'm sure I have some "stories" about the 6666 ranch from my grandfather and great-uncle, as their ranch was just a few miles away. Let me rack these old brains. :thinking:

GreenMonster
10-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Many years ago from 1825 to 1850 it wasn't unusual for folks to just pack up their belongings in a wagon and head for Texas. There was pleanty of land there that and was very cheap and they could start anew there. Many left because banks were about to foreclose or other problems mostly financial so a new start was something great and they left for Texas and helped start it to be the great Nation and State it was to become. Many left suddenly and they put on their houses the words "Gone to Texas" so family and friends would known what happened. They didn't have phones or too many telegraphs back then and the mail wasn't as efficient today so that is why they did that so that when people came by to check on them they would know. Many never saw their friends or families again but the prosperity Texas gave them and the effort they made have produced great results that are established today. Now you know where the phase Gone to Texas originally came from. Phil, not only did I not know that but I never really cared to know. But since you have taken the time to fill me in I kind of appreciate it. Knowledge can never be taken away, unless you get amnesia.

Old Cardinal
10-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Phil this a true story:

One of my friends had a Grandmother that turned 100 years of age. Several days before the big party day the local news reporter came out-- interviewed and took her picture. On the day of the 100th party they showed her the picture and article in the paper. See began to read the article with her magnifing glass and all of a sudden got very agitated! She exclaimed, "This is all wrong! This is all wrong!"

"Grand Maw! What is all wrong?"..."Well it says here that we came to Texas from Mississippi in a covered wagon"
"THERE TWERNT NO COVER ON THAT WAGON".

AP Panther Fan
10-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Phil this a true story:

One of my friends had a Grandmother that turned 100 years of age. Several days before the big party day the local news reporter came out-- interviewed and took her picture. On the day of the 100th party they showed her the picture and article in the paper. See began to read the article with her magnifing glass and all of a sudden got very agitated! She exclaimed, "This is all wrong! This is all wrong!"

"Grand Maw! What is all wrong?"..."Well it says here that we came to Texas from Mississippi in a covered wagon"
"THERE TWERNT NO COVER ON THAT WAGON".

LOL...see what I mean....the devil is in the details! :D My Grandmother could remember every detail from 50 years ago, but ask her what she had for breakfast....now that was another story!:D I miss her very much!:)

Old Cardinal
10-20-2005, 09:29 PM
ttt...This is a thread that need not die yet...Please take the time to tell some ole stories from the past....