PDA

View Full Version : WO-S 68, Hardin-Jefferson 13

WOS92
10-19-2005, 08:04 AM
WO-S looked much more in sync Tuesday. The stars this time were junior RB/DB Earl Thomas, who had an INT, a fumble recovery, 2 TDs and 120-and-change rushing plus a receiving TD, and sophomore Depauldrick Garrett, who rushed for more than 140 and 2 TDs. Beasley had a td in the air and on the ground. Hamshire-Fannett is up on Saturday. They look like they have a pretty strong running game and beat Anahuac soundly on Tuesday. It should be interesting!

AggiesAreWe
10-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I went to the WOS-Hardin-Jeff game, the game was over at hafltime. I was greatly impressed with the speed that WOS has on both sides of the ball, those guys can really fly. I will say this though, the rb for Hardin-Jeff was probably the fastest player on the field because once he got around the corner or in open field, nobody for WOS could catch him. But, the Mustangs did a good job of bottling him up. The only thing I could see that could be a weeakness for the Mustangs is their lack of size on both lines, particularly on the defensive side. A team with a huge and atheletic o-line with a power running game could cause some problems for the Stangs. One things for sure, what they lack in size, they double for it in speed. I look for WOS to go pretty far into the playoffs with all this team speed. Only other comment I have is I sat on the Hardin Jefferson side ( I sat there because all the seats on the visitor side were filled, those stands only hold maybe 300 people, and that's being generous ) and I was watching the Hawk coaches and how they were getting pretty angry with the WOS coaches towards the end of the game. I guess they were pissed about the Mustangs still throwing the long ball by the first string qb for td's after the game was way out of reach already, just my observation.

Speaking of Beasley, I just wonder if he would be better off as a reciever for maybe a school like Texas Tech, than a db for Texas. He looks undersized to be a db in the Big 12, just wondering if he could hold up a whole season stopping the run.

Supertilley
10-19-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know if you saw Deon play saftey last night. But he came in the game friday as a saftey and just about knocked their TE out cold. The TE had at least 60lbs on Deon. By far the hardest hit I have seen this year. Take away all the time he spends on offence and you have a monster in the secondary.

Mustang Fan
10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
WO-S finished with 518 yards of offense to HJ's 211. 75 of that came on the long run by Simien.

Junior Earl Thomas had 137 yards on 15 and sophomore DePauldrick Garrett had 128 yards on 9 carries. Beasley had 68 yards on 12 carries.

The Mustangs had 379 yards on the ground and 139 through the air.

After the game got out of hand WO-S ran the ball except for a 30 yard TD pass to Ladarius White which was in a long yardage situation. The score got out of hand because HJ was giving up 10-15 yards a pop to the back-up RB's. You can't just kneel the ball with 8 minutes left. The only other passes they threw late were the WR screens which are basically runs. I think the HJ coaches were getting mad because they had no answer for the Stangs last night!!

Next for the Stangs is Hamshire Fannett which will be a bigger and more physical team. It will be interesting to see how that game goes. There were a lot of problems during that game last year at Mustang Stadium.

Mustang Fan
10-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Beasley put a lick on the Butler kid from Nederland earlier this year also!!!!!

GS#17
10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
HJ's running back was probably the fastest player on the field, no doubt about that. He was the district champion 400M sprinter last year, and he can flat out fly.

As for the throw from Beasley for a TD "toward the end of the game," I thought that was about midway through the 3rd quarter. I don't think he played any in the 4th quarter... I will say that I agree the game was out of reach (I don't think it was ever in question), but at the same time, HJ wasn't excused from playing defense.

wos fan1
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
It was a great game. Hampshire Fannett this Saturday at 2 p.m. They run mostly with a big line.

AggiesAreWe
10-19-2005, 09:37 AM
The td pass from Beasley to White was in the 4th qtr according to news reports and myself, not the 3rd. If you were there, you should remember that score was in the west endzone( concession stand endzone, not scoreboard endzone ) which was the endzone the Mustangs had in the 4th, just to clear that up.

X Man
10-19-2005, 09:48 AM
The 'Stangs had a point spread about equivalent to the Anahauc/Bridge City game. The HJ coaches had to have seen the JV players in there, and Beasley on the bench. I'm sure they also saw that the same play was being run time after time. Come on, what did they expect WOS to do, just take a snap and fall down?

AggieJohn
10-19-2005, 09:52 AM
yet harris has them ranked over liberty...hmm....

GS#17
10-19-2005, 09:57 AM
The td pass from Beasley to White was in the 4th qtr

Sorry about that... I thought it was in the 3rd quarter, and the Enterprise box score says, "WOS-LaDarius White 25 pass from Kenneth Beasley (Cristobal Bernal kick) 9.44, 3rd"; however, it was in the endzone to my left, so it must've been at the beginning of the 4th quarter. You don't remember what down it was, do you?

AggiesAreWe
10-19-2005, 10:23 AM
I believe it was a 3rd down play, not sure though. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending the Hardin-Jeff coaches for their reason for being angry, it was just an observation I made. I think that pass in paticular, being it a first team qb to a first team wr in the 4th with the score 48-13 at that time, was what looked liked what got them pissed.

I saw in the Enterprise where the rb for Hardin-Jeff had 178 yds. on 20 carries. That has to be the most yards by one back against WOS all season, is it?

GS#17
10-19-2005, 10:30 AM
No, no... I understand, and I hope you don't think I was being critical toward you for making the statement. I'm sure I saw it a little different than they did, and I can imagine there was a lot of built-up frustration on their sidelines from last game through this one.

If Simien's total in the Enterprise is correct, then it would easily be the most yards by a RB against WOS this year. I'm not sure he had that many after the 75 yard run, but he got the ball a bunch and he certainly got over 100 for the night. He really impressed me -- he's a tough runner and very fast. If HJ had another offensive weapon or two to complement him, they'd be extremely dangerous with the ball.

WOS1
10-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I think Beasley staying in the game for 3 quarters and us throwing the ball after the game was in hand has more to do with our 3 week layoff and him needing the full speed practice than trying to run the score up. He was not real sharp throwing the ball in his first game back and he needed the practice.

WOS1
10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
I believe it was a 3rd down play, not sure though. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending the Hardin-Jeff coaches for their reason for being angry, it was just an observation I made. I think that pass in paticular, being it a first team qb to a first team wr in the 4th with the score 48-13 at that time, was what looked liked what got them pissed.

I saw in the Enterprise where the rb for Hardin-Jeff had 178 yds. on 20 carries. That has to be the most yards by one back against WOS all season, is it?

Aggies, as a non biased observer, did you feel like Simien had 164 yards rushing? I know he had the 75 yard run, but I don't remember him doing much other than that. I sure didn't think he had that many, did you?

Paratrooper
10-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
I was watching the Hawk coaches and how they were getting pretty angry with the WOS coaches towards the end of the game. I guess they were pissed about the Mustangs still throwing the long ball by the first string qb for td's after the game was way out of reach already, just my observation.

Why in the world would WOS keep its 1st string in with a blowout like this? It's not like somebody is voting on you in the BCS poll. The polls mean nothing when you hit the playoffs. The only reason the college's do it is so they CAN get a higher ranking and maybe a shot at the national title. If this is true, that is truly low class and pathetic.:mad:

WOS1
10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Dude... read the rest of the thread. Quit searching for something negative.:mad:

AggieJohn
10-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Aggies, as a non biased observer, did you feel like Simien had 164 yards rushing? I know he had the 75 yard run, but I don't remember him doing much other than that. I sure didn't think he had that many, did you?

you get suprised how quick those 3 & 4 yard runs add up after they get a 75 yarder

GS#17
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Paratrooper, just relax, take a deep breath, and count to ten. Feel better? ;)

There was no "running up the score" against HJ last night (remember, BC put up 55 points against them just a few days before WOS played them.). Here are a few quotes from the Beaumont Enterprise that may ease your suspicions:

"Five different players scored on eight rushing touchdowns."

"Sophomore runningback DePauldrick Garrett led the ground attack for the Mustangs with nine carries for 128 yards and a pair of TDs, but several other backs got involved as the big guys got dirty up front and opened plenty of holes and opportunities for big plays to be made." (BTW, Garrett had just been pulled up from the JV and is not the starter).

"Junior quarterback Andre Bevil also scored a TD on the ground..." (Bevil is not the starter, either).

""The point-spread, you know, I don't enjoy that, but I thought our kids played really well," Hooks said. "In that last quarter, we had our backup players out there so we weren't trying to run up the score.""

Paratrooper
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Paratrooper, just relax, take a deep breath, and count to ten. Feel better? ;)

There was no "running up the score" against HJ last night (remember, BC put up 55 points against them just a few days before WOS played them.). Here are a few quotes from the Beaumont Enterprise that may ease your suspicions:

"Five different players scored on eight rushing touchdowns."

"Sophomore runningback DePauldrick Garrett led the ground attack for the Mustangs with nine carries for 128 yards and a pair of TDs, but several other backs got involved as the big guys got dirty up front and opened plenty of holes and opportunities for big plays to be made." (BTW, Garrett had just been pulled up from the JV and is not the starter).

"Junior quarterback Andre Bevil also scored a TD on the ground..." (Bevil is not the starter, either).

""The point-spread, you know, I don't enjoy that, but I thought our kids played really well," Hooks said. "In that last quarter, we had our backup players out there so we weren't trying to run up the score.""

Well, certainly glad to hear they didn't run it up. I know Bridge City put a hurting on them also, but what erked me is the original poster said they were throwing the ball in the 4th with their starters. I just think that if you have a team 41 to 13 at the half you can afford to back off some. Not kneel or lay down and die, but definently just grind it out on the ground, that was my point.

WOS1
10-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
you get suprised how quick those 3 & 4 yard runs add up after they get a 75 yarder

Was that you or Aggies we are at the game? Am I getting my Aggies mixed up?

GS#17
10-19-2005, 07:50 PM
I hear you, Paratrooper. Unfortunately, WOS rang up almost 400 rushing yards on HJ for the night, and even when they ran the ball, it wasn't really slowing things down much -- it seemed the backs just made a bunch of yards each time they touched the ball. The three RBs used last night all averaged at least 8 yards a carry according to the Enterprise stats (Thomas averaged 8.4 with 2 rushing TDs; LeBlanc averaged 8.0 with 1 rushing TD; and Garrett averaged 14.2 with 2 rushing TDs).

The pass was on a third down, and it was a 25 yard throw into double coverage; WOS had three prior rushing TDs that went for at least 20 yards (Thomas for 56; Garrett for 23 and 22). I know when people hear "Pass for TD," they automatically think it's rubbing salt in the wound, but the way the Stangs were running the ball, I really don't think that was the case in this game. It's kind of a tricky situation -- you can't throw, or else you're running the score up, and you can't run, or you're doing something they can't stop (and running the score up).

AggiesAreWe
10-19-2005, 07:58 PM
It was me, AggiesAreWe. The 178 yds. might be generous but he did have a 40 yard run to go along with that 75 yarder. The 40 yarder came in the middle of the 3rd qtr., but it wasn't for a td. If I had to say how many yards Simien had, I'd say about 150 to 160. The fact of the matter is, he could have rushed for 278 yards and it would not have mattered, except for Coach Thompson. I think he would have been pissed. If it's any consolation, which I doubt it is, Simien rushed for 280 yards against my Silsbee Tigers earlier this year. But the Tiger defense is a far cry from that Mustang defense.

WOS1
10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
OK, I forgot about the 40 yarder.

You're right about Thompson. In fact, he was pissed at the half about them giving up the 13 points. He expects a lot, but he gets a lot in return.