PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Johnny "Lam" Jones & family

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 07:18 AM
I haven't seen this posted since I first heard it about a week or so ago. If it has been, then I apologize for the duplicate thread.

Ex-Texas star Jones diagnosed with cancer
By Suzanne Halliburton, Cedric Golden

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Johnny "Lam" Jones, one of the most dynamic players ever to play for the Longhorns, has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer of the blood and bone.

Jones, 47, has been hospitalized the past week in Austin. Some former Texas teammates, including two-time All-American Johnnie Johnson, are working to put together a trust to help defray the cost of Jones' medical bills. Jones, an independent salesman, does not have medical insurance.

Jones was with his mother Tuesday and awaiting treatment options for the cancer.

Jones was a two-sport star at Texas. The summer after he graduated from Lampasas High School in 1976, he earned a gold medal as part of the U.S. 400-meter relay team at the Montreal Olympics. After his football career at Texas, the New York Jets made him the second overall pick of the NFL draft in 1980.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/12texnotes.html)

Paratrooper
10-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I haven't seen this posted since I first heard it about a week or so ago. If it has been, then I apologize for the duplicate thread.

Ex-Texas star Jones diagnosed with cancer
By Suzanne Halliburton, Cedric Golden

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Johnny "Lam" Jones, one of the most dynamic players ever to play for the Longhorns, has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer of the blood and bone.

Jones, 47, has been hospitalized the past week in Austin. Some former Texas teammates, including two-time All-American Johnnie Johnson, are working to put together a trust to help defray the cost of Jones' medical bills. Jones, an independent salesman, does not have medical insurance.

Jones was with his mother Tuesday and awaiting treatment options for the cancer.

Jones was a two-sport star at Texas. The summer after he graduated from Lampasas High School in 1976, he earned a gold medal as part of the U.S. 400-meter relay team at the Montreal Olympics. After his football career at Texas, the New York Jets made him the second overall pick of the NFL draft in 1980.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/12texnotes.html)

Wow, that is just hard to believe. That guy was a tremedous athlete in college. If I remember right back then it was Ham Jones and Lam Jones playing over at Texas.

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Wow, that is just hard to believe. That guy was a tremedous athlete in college. If I remember right back then it was Ham Jones and Lam Jones playing over at Texas.

You do remember correctly.

GWOOD
10-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow. Johnny Lam and Johnny Ham. That brings up old memories.

Hate to hear that about Johnny Lam. I saw him run in the San Angelo relays his junior or senior year. The article said he was on the winning 400 meter relay team in the Olympics. I was thinking he ran the 220 (200 meters) and the 440 (400 meters) in high school as opposed to the 100. Does anyone remember?

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD

Hate to hear that about Johnny Lam. I saw him run in the San Angelo relays his junior or senior year. The article said he was on the winning 400 meter relay team in the Olympics. I was thinking he ran the 220 (200 meters) and the 440 (400 meters) in high school as opposed to the 100. Does anyone remember?

:eek: :eek: I would've been there then as well, and darn it, I cannot remember what he ran and the UIL archives haven't been loaded on their new format yet.

BTEXDAD
10-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear that about Johnnie Jones.
I remember Lam Jones from lampasas and Ham jones from Hamlin. When they were upperclassmen, there was a running back that came in, A.J. Jones. Don't remember what initials stood for or what town from, but they started calling him Jam Jones.

BTEXDAD
10-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD

Jeff Appel, the husband of one of my cousins ran track for Brenham back in 70's. Same four guys were on mile relay their junior and senior year. Brenham won state in '77 as seniors, but their junior year (1976) they got second to Lampasas. I understand Brenham had 30-40 yard lead over Lampasas going into anchor leg and most of the other teams also were ahead of Lampasas. Anchor man for Lampasas naturally Johnnie jones. He passed everyone to win gold for team. Jeff said if the time on that quarter mile could have been used as record for open quarter, it would have probably been not just high school, but world record.
Anyway, I know Lam Jones ran mile relay back then, not sure about what else though.

crabman
10-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I am pretty sure he ran the 100. Seems like I remember seeing him at Regionals. I had never seen him run before. I have never been so disappointed in all my life. It looked like he was jogging. Totally effortless and floating. That is when I realized that was what truly great runners looked like. Not all herky-jerky.

Another Lam Jones story. A couple of years ago I was at the state track meet and Lam Jones was announced as the Honorary Starter for the meet. They announcer went on and on about all of his accomplishments ending with his miraculous finish in the mile relay his senior year when he overtook the runner in front of him when he was behind by 40 yards. I was sitting beside a guy who was just sitting there shaking his head back and forth from side to side. I thought he was kind of rude. I started talking to him. He said if Lam Jones ran the greatest 400 split it Texas high school track history he might have run a 44 flat split. I agreed. Then he said that at the end of the race when everybody was tired that last 40 yards probably took 5 seconds to make up. I agreed. That would mean the guy he beat ran slower than a 49 second split. I agreed. Then he asked me if I thought the anchor leg on the second fastest relay team in the state ought to be able to run faster than a 49 second split. I said absolutely. He said, "Yeah, I thought I could too". It was him. Never got his name.