PDA

View Full Version : Contracts - would you play?

Green Ranger
10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Arkansas St. player refuses to wear adidasAssociated Press

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Arkansas State's leading returning scorer is sitting out because he refuses to wear adidas shoes, which Indians players are obligated to wear because of a school contract.

Jerry Nichols, a 6-6 outside shooter who averaged 9.6 points per game last year, has had two knee operations and said he was wearing Adidas shoes when he first hurt the knee. The school says Nichols has to dress by its rules.

"We have a contractual agreement with [adidas], and it's not any different than any number of other contracts with other schools. There is not any stipulation or any research that shows any shoes are worse than any others," Arkansas State athletic director Dean Lee told The Jonesboro Sun newspaper.

Nichols, who last year shot 41.8 percent from 3-point range, practiced over the weekend while wearing Nike shoes, placing tape to cover the brand's insignia. Nichols met with Lee on Monday, and Nichols was told to wear adidas shoes or sit. Nichols sat.

Nichols said he was wearing adidas shoes when he suffered a knee injury in 2001 while playing for Walters State Community College.

"I tore my ACL in adidas in junior college back in 2001, and I'm not comfortable wearing adidas," Nichols said.

Nichols has had two surgeries on his right knee, including one in late March following last season. ASU's basketball team wore Nike shoes last year but that contract has expired.

"Adidas shoes are part of our uniform," Lee said.

Lee said there is no room for compromise and that the school is obligated to put adidas shoes on the feet of athletes football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and track teams, along with several other sports.

"This is not picking on any one student athlete. This goes for all student athletes that are under that contract," Lee said.

Nichols said he may seek relief in court if the university does not change policy.

"If I have to miss this whole senior season for some shoes, why wouldn't I [sue]?" Nichols said. "I have done too much this summer, working out, staying up here all summer to waste a year. So if it has to come to a legal issue then I will."

ASU coach Dickey Nutt said he wants Nichols on the court, considering the team has its first exhibition in less than three weeks.

"I need all my players to be at practice, but it's out of my hands. That matter is in the administration's hands, so I'm just referring all questions to them," Nutt said.

football4life
10-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Interesting. I can see his logic, but at the same time it is a bit ridiculous to think that a type of shoe could cause an injury. I guess some people really are that fragile-minded.

Adidas410s
10-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Interesting. I can see his logic, but at the same time it is a bit ridiculous to think that a type of shoe could cause an injury. I guess some people really are that fragile-minded.

I can say from personal experience that there is a HUGE difference in the way you can move in certain brands of shoes. I went from Adidas to Wilson to Nike for tennis because of numerous foot and ankle injuries that effectively ended my ability to play in high school and college. Adidas shoes for me are VERY thin-soled and allow for A LOT of roll and movement. Even taping up and trying to provide extra support does not tend to work well with Adidas because they are very wide shoes. The guy has a legit point and just isn't putting into the right words...

big daddy russ
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
He's not on the pro radar and they're paying for his education. Suck it up and play. If you get another messed up knee, you still have your scholarship and it's their fault.

garageoffice
10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Tough situation...I know there are some brands of shoes that I just can't wear for athletic activities because they don't fit my feet very well. I have fairly narrow feet with very narrow heels. It's especially hard to find a basketball shoe that is both comfortable and gives the necessary support. Is it worth missing a year of playing, though?

GreenMonster
10-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I play. Forget what Mars Blackmon said in those old Air Jordan commercials. It isn't the shoes. A true competitor would go out and compete. No matter the shoes or uniform or anything else. Stop making excuses and go compete. I was a college athlete on scholarship and not once did I ever forget that the day I accepted that scholarship I became the property of that institution. Why, because that was the price I had to pay to be a part of that team and the cost of getting the ability to compete on that level.