PDA

View Full Version : Realignment Count

Stretch04
10-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Also decided by the Legislative Council:

For schools harboring Hurricane Katrina and Rita evacuees, only 50 percent of displaced student-athletes will be counted for the next realignment.

Looks like to me this leaves a lot of room for dishonesty

Phil C
10-18-2005, 09:29 AM
And unfairness too.

NateDawg39
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Thats gonna hurt a lot of good schools.

Johnny Utah
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
UIL realignment will be the same as it always has been, a mystery as to why they do what they do!!!!

rhs78
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I think that the count should be of all students not just student athletes. Some of the non-athlete students will probably become atheletes after realignment.

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2005, 10:05 AM
There will be tons more students that don't participate in athletics than do. This just dawned on me, but maybe the athletes will be counted at 50% and the non-participants counted at 100%. :thinking: :thinking:

KTJ
10-18-2005, 10:27 AM
The UIL is a joke.

I know a few stories about them that I've learned while living in Austin.

:eek:

BMOC
10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Heard on another BOARD that the UIL might put a lock on alignment next year due to the Hurricane, and Realign in 2007. Anybody know anything about this???:confused:

hoosierdaddy
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Stretch04
Also decided by the Legislative Council:

For schools harboring Hurricane Katrina and Rita evacuees, only 50 percent of displaced student-athletes will be counted for the next realignment.

Looks like to me this leaves a lot of room for dishonesty
That's kind of a stupid way to do it don't you think? That's going to screw schools that are near the cutoff but were good enough to open their doors to refugees. Not to mention how to you track which are move ins and which are hurricane evacuees? Putting off realignment won't work either because that you alter the home/away rotation for district games and schools that have had a big drop in numbers still have to play up for another year. Best answer I think is to not count them this time, if they stay they'll either get cuaght in the next alignment or be gone by then.

raider red 2000
10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
why not just count in the spring????

Johnny Utah
10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
I do know this, I would love to work for the UIL!!! What a job!!!

Stretch04
10-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Heard on another BOARD that the UIL might put a lock on alignment next year due to the Hurricane, and Realign in 2007. Anybody know anything about this???:confused:

They really couldn't do this because of all of the new schools opening in 4A and 5A. The would have no place to put them.

Hupernikomen
10-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Stretch04
They really couldn't do this because of all of the new schools opening in 4A and 5A. The would have no place to put them.

I brought up this very topic last week but no one had any info. about it at the time. I don't see how new schools would be that big of a problem. They would just plug them into and already exsisting district or make the necessary moves to accomodate them.

LogieJoeBean001
10-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by hoosierdaddy
That's kind of a stupid way to do it don't you think? That's going to screw schools that are near the cutoff but were good enough to open their doors to refugees. Not to mention how to you track which are move ins and which are hurricane evacuees? Putting off realignment won't work either because that you alter the home/away rotation for district games and schools that have had a big drop in numbers still have to play up for another year. Best answer I think is to not count them this time, if they stay they'll either get cuaght in the next alignment or be gone by then.

I go along with this proposal. If these displaced students come back to their "new" school next year, then I would think they would be more committed to stay. Just don't count them in the mix this year and it'd be easy enough to find out who they are Even if the school was told they were there to stay, you wouldn't know that until school started next year to see if they really return. People change their minds and their families could decide to go back to their respective hometowns. They just should simply not figure into the mix or go with numbers right before Katrina hit or wait until sometime in the spring. Even with that said, it would seem the best, and most accurate way, would be to not count them at all, this year.