Steer Fever
10-17-2005, 12:50 PM
who do yall think will win?

Steer Fever
10-17-2005, 12:58 PM
add any thoughts below...

pero chato
10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Graham got all the respect in the world from me after they thumped Wylie a few weeks ago, and then hung with Marlin before the game was called. It shows what they CAN do. Just need to finish it off...

RMAC
10-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Like I've said in a previous post, if it all comes down to who wins on Friday night w/ us and Breck, then I take us. I believe we just have too many weapons offensively and our defense has been playing like they are ALL a few inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier. I take the Steers for the outright crown this year.

Adidas410s
10-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Like I've said in a previous post, if it all comes down to who wins on Friday night w/ us and Breck, then I take us. I believe we just have too many weapons offensively and our defense has been playing like they are ALL a few inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier. I take the Steers for the outright crown this year.

gah...and I tried to vote for Hirschi. Can they even mathamatically still win???

Mustangpride09
10-17-2005, 06:23 PM
wow..... vernon actually has two votes......

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Graham has a tough game Friday. Whoever wins that game will be the district champ-maybe. Now I'm not sure about all the possibilities but I'll assume that Graham wins out. (IP was tough against Vernon so don't take them lightly).

Graham goes 4-0 Beats everyone
Breck goes 3-1 with wins over Vernon, IP and Hirschi
IP goes 2-2 with wins over Hirschi and Vernon
Vernon goes 1-3 win over Hirschi
Hirschi goes 0-4 again for second straight year

Now if Breck wins Friday it gets interesting and a lot of possibilities can play out.

Bottom line is -- we will know more in two weeks!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09

I voted for Graham so I have no idea who voted for the Lions. Must be a Region 4 poster who was lost!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09

I just hate to hear posts like yours because it sucks that we are losing. We have such a rich tradition in Vernon and it has just killed me to lose to Graham for 5 straight years and then to lose respect period -- I'm afraid if this losing continues some new names will be blowing into town soon.

GreenMonster
10-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I just hate to hear posts like yours because it sucks that we are losing. We have such a rich tradition in Vernon and it has just killed me to lose to Graham for 5 straight years and then to lose respect period -- I'm afraid if this losing continues some new names will be blowing into town soon.

Ya know, Leo is the O-line coach at Old High. It would sure be nice to see him return to the Big V for a Reunion Tour prior to his full retirement. I could see him putting in 4 or 5 more years.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Ya know, Leo is the O-line coach at Old High. It would sure be nice to see him return to the Big V for a Reunion Tour prior to his full retirement. I could see him putting in 4 or 5 more years.

The entire town only wishes my friend.

GreenMonster
10-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
The entire town only wishes my friend.

Yeah, somebody really dropped the ball when they pushed Leo out back in 95. Hopefully some of you Lion faithful remind those board members frequently about that SNAFU.

RMAC
10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I think some people forget that only 2 years ago Vernon went to the DII semi-finals. They're just having an off year. They lost some talent and are just in a rebuilding stage. Give them some time and don't count them out just yet.

GreenMonster
10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I think some people forget that only 2 years ago Vernon went to the DII semi-finals. They're just having an off year. They lost some talent and are just in a rebuilding stage. Give them some time and don't count them out just yet.

You must not have ever had the pleasure of meeting Leo Brittain.

Adidas410s
10-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
You must not have ever had the pleasure of meeting Leo Brittain.

what are you getting at? That Brittain was good every year?

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Yes he was that good. 1 state championship, 2 state final appearances, 4 semi final appearances, and a string of like 14 years or so of district championships in a row. (I can't recall exactly how many).

My son played on the semi final team and I can tell you that those kids were going to win no matter the coach. They were successful every year from 7th up. Vernon has the talent now and really had it last year. How many seasons can you go without a playoff spot with the talent we have? This year will make two years in a row and we only have 5 teams in our district! We can't even get in with 3 spots??? Something better change and quick. We don't have patience here in Vernon. We are used to winning. I don't think the coach goes this year but a third year without playoffs? That is another story.

IP out coached us plain and simple.

GreenMonster
10-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

No, totally opposite. Has nothing to do with wins. Yes the Lions were just 2 years ago in the Semi's, and no I didn't forget that. It's about Leo Brittain being a brilliant leader of young men. It was a huge loss to the entire community to have lost him. 10 years ago he was pushed out of town for who knows why. Since then Vernon has been through 3 or 4 head coaches all of which are Leo desciples. Would have been easier to just keep Leo. All I can say is you have to meet the man to grasp just how dynamic his personallity really is. He is one of those kind of leaders that you will go out there and give your all each and every play simply because you don't want to let him down. And by the way, because Leo was able to get so much out his kids the wins would have been there.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-18-2005, 10:42 AM
BTW: He retired from Vernon he wasn't pushed out. I think he spent a year away from football and then Old High snagged him out of retirement.

VWG
10-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Leo Britain did win... and did it consistently. Look at Vernon's records with Britain at the helm.
Total domination in the 80's and early 90's.
Leo retired, went to Old High, then went to Richland and got shelled. Heard he took that job for the pay scale due to teacher retirement system.
Bring him back... it would be good for the Lions and that whole town.

Vet93 remembers the days of those Lion teams in the 80's.
Boyce, Cook, Graf, Dixon, King.... man I could go on and on.....