PDA

View Full Version : ABILENE

VWG
02-14-2004, 01:36 PM
While driving through Abilene this week I heard on the radio there is a proposed bond issue. $129 million on the bond for a new high school that would create one Abilene high school. Cooper and Abilene High campuses would be used for 9th and 10th grade campuses, and the new school would be for 11th & 12th grade.
What's happening? I knew Abilene ISD was losing kids, but man that would put over 4,000 kids in one school... instead of having Cooper and Abilene High. Plus, the tradition that Abilene High carries is strong. Oldest marching band in the state of Texas, etc....

wildstangs
02-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah they are thinking about it. I think the new deal will make one highscool for grades 10-12. Cooper will most likely drop to 4A in a few years if something isnt done and they are fearing they will lose many of the features of a 5A school.

VWG
02-14-2004, 11:37 PM
wildstangs:
Yeah they are thinking about it. I think the new deal will make one highscool for grades 10-12. Cooper will most likely drop to 4A in a few years if something isnt done and they are fearing they will lose many of the features of a 5A school."Features"? I wonder what features they're talking about? I've seen 4A schools with more programs than some 5A schools. Look at Highland Park. They have an ice hockey team!
I know Victoria did this a few years ago and combined two schools into one. Don't know how it has turned out though. I would be hacked off though if I was coaching at Cooper or Abilene High and had some tenure at one of these schools.

Mean_Machine
02-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.

vet93
02-16-2004, 03:27 PM
I think that Wylie would compete quite well in the districts that you have mentioned. They may not be the dominant team that they are now...but they would make the playoffs more often than not.

Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.

hound22
02-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.Saniford has been contacted about being the New head coach for the New Consolidated school and the two head coaches at Cooper and High would stay on as Coordinators.

hound22
02-16-2004, 03:30 PM
vet93:
I think that Wylie would compete quite well in the districts that you have mentioned. They may not be the dominant team that they are now...but they would make the playoffs more often than not.

Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.I doubt that. they would get thier clock cleaned.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: hound22 ]</small>

Jacket2000
02-16-2004, 03:43 PM
hound22:
[/qb]Saniford has been contacted about being the New head coach for the New Consolidated school and the two head coaches at Cooper and High would stay on as Coordinators.</strong>[/QUOTE]

Now THAT would piss alot of people off!
J2K

Mean_Machine
02-16-2004, 03:46 PM
vet93:

Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.Wylie would compete. Thats about it. They would compete for that 3rd spot. It would be the first time in many years that they would have to play schools the same size as them or even abit larger. They have had it the other way around for so long that it would be a big time reality check for them. heck, they may even gripe about playing larger schools when it happens. LOL

St. Ivender
02-16-2004, 03:47 PM
What is the rationale behind this idea?
Baytown has been kicking this idea around for a few years.
The buzz around Port Arthur a few years ago was that they would be raking in the state titles (especially football) once they consolidated their High Schools into one.
Two years later and so far..............nada

oh well
02-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Mean Machine what and where do you get your info cracker jacks

Yea but you missed the tackle

vet93
02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Amen to that Jacket...ain't noway that Warren and Quis would play second fiddle to Hugh...I am sure they like him, but not enough to take a demotion to a coach who has never been a head coach in anything but 3a. The whole scenario borders on the absurd eek!

Jacket2000:

hound22:
Saniford has been contacted about being the New head coach for the New Consolidated school and the two head coaches at Cooper and High would stay on as Coordinators.Now THAT would piss alot of people off!
J2K[/QB][/QUOTE]

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: vet93 ]</small>

1DAWG
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Hound and Mean Machine.........you have no idea what you are talking about!
And also, Wylie always plays 4A schools in pre-season and competes in every sport very well, thank you!! Also, there is no shuffling of kids, how stupid can you be, students are counted and numbers are turned in.

pero chato
02-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.You really don't know what you are talking about. Wylie does not "struggle" to stay 3A and there is no "shuffling" of kids. Of course you never say where they are "shuffled" to because you have chosen to believe in yet another stupid conspiracy theory. Wylie has grown over the past 10 years, but so has the 3A cut off numbers. Wylie scrimmages Brownwood, plays 4A Lakeview and Aledo in predistrict as well as other 3A powerhouses. If you don't like Wylie, fine. Just get your facts straight!

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: pero chato ]</small>

pero chato
02-16-2004, 09:25 PM
hound22:

Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.Saniford has been contacted about being the New head coach for the New Consolidated school and the two head coaches at Cooper and High would stay on as Coordinators.Where in the hell do you get your information?!! The vote hasn't even taken place for consolidation and you claim that Sandifer has been contacted to coach the "New Consolidated" school? Yeah right. Contacted by who? But to address the subject issue, I doubt seriously that the consolidation idea will pass. It's just an option, and from what I read in the editorials, it ain't gonna happen.

jason
02-16-2004, 10:10 PM
VWG:

wildstangs:
Yeah they are thinking about it. I think the new deal will make one highscool for grades 10-12. Cooper will most likely drop to 4A in a few years if something isnt done and they are fearing they will lose many of the features of a 5A school."Features"? I wonder what features they're talking about? I've seen 4A schools with more programs than some 5A schools. Look at Highland Park. They have an ice hockey team!
I know Victoria did this a few years ago and combined two schools into one. Don't know how it has turned out though. I would be hacked off though if I was coaching at Cooper or Abilene High and had some tenure at one of these schools.highland park has LOTS of money though...they're not a good example...

Mean_Machine
02-17-2004, 02:51 PM
pero chato:

hound22:

Mean_Machine:
Wonder how this will effect Wylie? It may make it hard for them to slip under the 4A mark if this happens.. More may Migrate out to Wylie. I have understood that for the past few years they have struggled to stay 3A by shufling kids off so the numbers are still ok. If they went 4A it could be messy. East you have B-Wood and S-ville and West you have Frenship and Andrews. Not good when that happens.Saniford has been contacted about being the New head coach for the New Consolidated school and the two head coaches at Cooper and High would stay on as Coordinators.Where in the hell do you get your information?!! The vote hasn't even taken place for consolidation and you claim that Sandifer has been contacted to coach the "New Consolidated" school? Yeah right. Contacted by who? But to address the subject issue, I doubt seriously that the consolidation idea will pass. It's just an option, and from what I read in the editorials, it ain't gonna happen.WOW! Pedro. I didnt know you were so sensitive about the wylie issue. I dont know why your getting worked up. Im sure this is not the first time you have been informed about the whole 3A number issue and how many people have said for years that its fishy for wylie to have so many in #s ( 4A-5A turnout for the band and football teams) and still squeek under the 4A mark. Im sure you have herd this before. How do you know that that is not true ( saniford being contacted about the posibility)? in any event just calm down. this is a discussion board. Thats all it is. oppinions vary.

pero chato
02-17-2004, 04:41 PM
WOW! Pedro. I didnt know you were so sensitive about the wylie issue. I dont know why your getting worked up. Im sure this is not the first time you have been informed about the whole 3A number issue and how many people have said for years that its fishy for wylie to have so many in #s ( 4A-5A turnout for the band and football teams) and still squeek under the 4A mark. Im sure you have herd this before. How do you know that that is not true ( saniford being contacted about the posibility)? in any event just calm down. this is a discussion board. Thats all it is. oppinions vary.[/QB]True that this is a discussion board and opinions vary. But at least you could have an informed opinion. At best you have not expressed an opinion, but rather unfounded speculation. All I ask of you (and others) is to research the alignment process. You will discover that it is impossible for schools to cheat the system and remain at a lower classification. No one knows the UIL's classification cut off numbers until months after enrollments are submitted. The growth rate of the 3A top end numbers have steadily increased over the last few alignments as has Wylie's student enrollment. This "fishy" phenomenon has happened to other schools of other classifications yet you single out Wylie as the leading offender. Everman missed the 4A classification two alignments ago by 3 students. Yet rightfully so, no one accused them of cheating on their numbers. Wylie does have a lot of kids participate in sports and band. I think that is a tribute to the type of programs they offer, not proof that they are a 4A or 5A school. I realize that Wylie has twice the enrollment of the other schools in the district. This will not be true next year when Snyder and Sweetwater are in the same district. As you know, the UIL has set up two division playoffs to assist in the disparity of school sizes. And finally, why would you even bother stating as fact that Sandifer (not Saniford) has been contacted about the consolidation job when you know it isn't true? If you don't like Wylie, fine. State your opinions as such, but don't write things that you know aren't true and call them your opinions. And by the way, I AM VERY CALM!!!!! (lol)

<small>[ February 17, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: pero chato ]</small>

Excel94
02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
That is correct, this is a discussion board open for many opinions. Mean, you did not give an opinion. You stated that Sandifer had been approached, that is not giving an opinion that is
stating a LIE. An opinion would be, You think Sandifer should be the coach of the Abilene team. You also stated..Wylie shuffles kids around..another LIE.(and by the way a very stupid one)
Why don't you learn the difference between discussing opinions and telling LIEs???
As for # of fans in the stands Wylie has an excellent following. Everyone comes out to support the teams. The basketball team followed the football team, the football team is now following the basketball team, the whole town comes out. It is awesome!

vet93
02-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Excellent post Pero Chato. Mean_machine...in case you don't know...I am not a Wylie homer. Wylie has been blessed with an increasing enrollment over the last 10-15 years. That is not their fault...just as it is not Ballinger's fault that we have decreased in our enrollment. To be able to manipulate the system you would have to have prior knowledge of where the 3a-4a break was going to be...that is impossible to know since the numbers are turned in together in October before the february alignment.

pero chato:

WOW! Pedro. I didnt know you were so sensitive about the wylie issue. I dont know why your getting worked up. Im sure this is not the first time you have been informed about the whole 3A number issue and how many people have said for years that its fishy for wylie to have so many in #s ( 4A-5A turnout for the band and football teams) and still squeek under the 4A mark. Im sure you have herd this before. How do you know that that is not true ( saniford being contacted about the posibility)? in any event just calm down. this is a discussion board. Thats all it is. oppinions vary.True that this is a discussion board and opinions vary. But at least you could have an informed opinion. At best you have not expressed an opinion, but rather unfounded speculation. All I ask of you (and others) is to research the alignment process. You will discover that it is impossible for schools to cheat the system and remain at a lower classification. No one knows the UIL's classification cut off numbers until months after enrollments are submitted. The growth rate of the 3A top end numbers have steadily increased over the last few alignments as has Wylie's student enrollment. This "fishy" phenomenon has happened to other schools of other classifications yet you single out Wylie as the leading offender. Everman missed the 4A classification two alignments ago by 3 students. Yet rightfully so, no one accused them of cheating on their numbers. Wylie does have a lot of kids participate in sports and band. I think that is a tribute to the type of programs they offer, not proof that they are a 4A or 5A school. I realize that Wylie has twice the enrollment of the other schools in the district. This will not be true next year when Snyder and Sweetwater are in the same district. As you know, the UIL has set up two division playoffs to assist in the disparity of school sizes. And finally, why would you even bother stating as fact that Sandifer (not Saniford) has been contacted about the consolidation job when you know it isn't true? If you don't like Wylie, fine. State your opinions as such, but don't write things that you know aren't true and call them your opinions. And by the way, I AM VERY CALM!!!!! (lol)[/QB]

Mean_Machine
02-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Wow fellas. kinda hostile arnt you?I didnt say Saniford had been contacted about any Job but I can believe it. its believable. How do you know Its a lie? you state its a Lie. heck dont believe it. no skin off my back. So the only opinions allowed are the ones you (wylie people) accept? If you dont like it its a Lie? Where did I say I didnt like wylie? I dont have a problem with them. I believe they have the Numbers to be 4A.I believe they manipulate the numbers and have for years and I am not the only one who thinks that. I can say that. I believe that they would be playing for 3rd place in Brownwoods or in Frenships 4A districts if they went 4A. I can say that. Its an oppinion. I can say that A migration to wylie from abiline ( if wylie allows it) would likely push them to the 4A mark. Just because you dont like to hear about something does not mean its a lie. those are oppinions . I can have them and you dont have to agree with them. If your from wylie I can understand why you would not want people to believe them or want them to be accurate. Sorry if your offended. Other than that , Get over it.

<small>[ February 18, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Machine ]</small>

Ranger Mom
02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Mean_Machine:
Wow fellas. kinda hostile arnt you?I didnt say Saniford had been contacted about any Job but I can believe it. its believable. How do you know Its a lie? you state its a Lie. heck dont believe it. no skin off my back. So the only opinions allowed are the ones you (wylie people) accept? If you dont like it its a Lie? Where did I say I didnt like wylie? I dont have a problem with them. I believe they have the Numbers to be 4A.I believe they manipulate the numbers and have for years and I am not the only one who thinks that. I can say that. I believe that they would be playing for 3rd place in Brownwoods or in Frenships 4A districts if they went 4A. I can say that. Its an oppinion. I can say that A migration to wylie from abiline ( if wylie allows it) would likely push them to the 4A mark. Just because you dont like to hear about something does not mean its a lie. those are oppinions . I can have them and you dont have to agree with them. If your from wylie I can understand why you would not want people to believe them or want them to be accurate. Sorry if your offended. Other than that , Get over it.Well...now I gotta stick my 2 cents worth in. That's a pretty harsh "opinion" you have, and if you said something like that about MY town, I too, would be offended. To tell you the truth, I have been hanging around these boards for several years now, and that's the FIRST time I had even heard that.
You come on here and say something like that, you have to be NUTS to think someone isn't gonna come back at you about it!

vet93
02-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Meanmachine...there is a difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. An informed opinion means that you have first hand knowledge or evidence that backs up your assertion. However, anyone can pull a statement out of thin air and call it an opinion with no evidence. If you are going to accuse a group of people of criminal misconduct (manipulation of official school documents would be criminal and at best a flagrant violation of UIL policy), then I would suggest that you have the evidence to back this up. It is one thing to have the "opinion" that "my team is going to beat your team because...". It is quite another story when you charge a whole school district and its administrative staff with willfull misconduct just because you "think" that they should be 4a. In other words...where is the evidence.

Mean_Machine
02-18-2004, 07:19 PM
vet93:
Meanmachine...there is a difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. An informed opinion means that you have first hand knowledge or evidence that backs up your assertion. However, anyone can pull a statement out of thin air and call it an opinion with no evidence. If you are going to accuse a group of people of criminal misconduct (manipulation of official school documents would be criminal and at best a flagrant violation of UIL policy), then I would suggest that you have the evidence to back this up. It is one thing to have the "opinion" that "my team is going to beat your team because...". It is quite another story when you charge a whole school district and its administrative staff with willfull misconduct just because you "think" that they should be 4a. In other words...where is the evidence.So now it IS an opinion and not a Lie. well thats a little better. I have a friend who spoke to Saniford directly about this very thing (numbers) and he told him they had a little over 930 during the third week of the season. That was two years ago. maybe saniford didnt really know. maybe they had a mass exit of people. It really is funny that you have never heard this before. I have been hearing this for at least 8 years. some disussion on 3A football does take place outside this board so just because you have not seen it on 3Adownlow does not mean it is not a common topick in west texas football talk. I just think its very intresting that you get so worked up over this. you seem very sensitive to it. its ok. its just one guys oppinion. dont worry about it.

pero chato
02-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Mean_Machine:

vet93:
Meanmachine...there is a difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. An informed opinion means that you have first hand knowledge or evidence that backs up your assertion. However, anyone can pull a statement out of thin air and call it an opinion with no evidence. If you are going to accuse a group of people of criminal misconduct (manipulation of official school documents would be criminal and at best a flagrant violation of UIL policy), then I would suggest that you have the evidence to back this up. It is one thing to have the "opinion" that "my team is going to beat your team because...". It is quite another story when you charge a whole school district and its administrative staff with willfull misconduct just because you "think" that they should be 4a. In other words...where is the evidence.So now it IS an opinion and not a Lie. well thats a little better. I have a friend who spoke to Saniford directly about this very thing (numbers) and he told him they had a little over 930 during the third week of the season. That was two years ago. maybe saniford didnt really know. maybe they had a mass exit of people. It really is funny that you have never heard this before. I have been hearing this for at least 8 years. some disussion on 3A football does take place outside this board so just because you have not seen it on 3Adownlow does not mean it is not a common topick in west texas football talk. I just think its very intresting that you get so worked up over this. you seem very sensitive to it. its ok. its just one guys oppinion. dont worry about it.First of all, thanks to Vet93 for the comments and common sense remarks in all of this. To Mean Machine, well, I guess there is no changing your "opinion". I spoke to Sandifer (again not Saniford) directly and not through a "friend" like you and he laughingly denies that he ever claimed Wylie had 930 students. It's just plain ridiculous to believe a school has 100 students more than they report to the UIL. Years ago when Cecil Davis was Superintendent, he told us at a "Meet the Bulldogs" pep rally that we would probably be 4A the following year. Sandifer dropped the predistrict 2A Hamlin and added 4A Snyder as well as other 3A powerhouses. We all prepared to be 4A. Well, the UIL raised the cutoff numbers, we remained 3A and have continued to do so. The alignment before this year, we missed it by about 70 students. There were 17 schools closer to the cutoff than Wylie. Please reread Vet's definition of opinion vs. accusation. Don't you think that after 8 years of cheating, the UIL would investigate and prosecute these scoundrels?! Again, look at the other schools that are a lot closer to the alignment cutoff numbers than Wylie. Where is your negative "opinion" toward those schools? Why do you single out Wylie? How would you like it if suddenly your school is inundated with rumors of drug use and/or falsifying grades for athletes, etc. Just because four or five sources say it's true, does that make it true? Of course not. What's missing here is proof. Show me proof that Wylie cheats on the enrollment numbers--something from the UIL, or a traceable quote from a school official. I would certainly change my view of the school if that were to happen, and yes I would munch on the proverbial crow. Are you willing to change your view until it does? I doubt it. You're right, some of us are a little sensitive on this issue, but we are over it nonetheless. The question remains--when presented with facts and a complete lack of evidence, are you over it? Just curious, where did you attend high school?

Mean_Machine
02-19-2004, 03:15 PM
pero chato
I spoke to Sandifer (again not Saniford) directly and not through a "friend" like you and he laughingly denies that he ever claimed Wylie had 930 students. [/QB]OH, he denies it. So it must not be true. Well now, that changes my mind. If Sanifer says so, its GOT to be False. after all if it were true and he knew it was then that would be an admission. So, it must not be true at all then.... wink :p

<small>[ February 19, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Machine ]</small>

Ranger Mom
02-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Mean_Machine:

pero chato
I spoke to Sandifer (again not Saniford) directly and not through a "friend" like you and he laughingly denies that he ever claimed Wylie had 930 students. OH, he denies it. So it must not be true. Well now, that changes my mind. If Sanifer says so, its got to be False. after all if it were true and he knew it was then that would be an admission. So, it must not be true at all then.... wink :p [/QB]HUH??? That just almost gave me a headache trying to decipher!! :rolleyes:

Let it go....you are fighting a losing battle on this board on this topic!

You need to have a few more than 7 posts before we know whether to take you seriously or not!! :D

You are a "virtual" stranger to us right now!!

BTW....where at in West Texas??

pero chato
02-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Mean_Machine:

pero chato
I spoke to Sandifer (again not Saniford) directly and not through a "friend" like you and he laughingly denies that he ever claimed Wylie had 930 students. OH, he denies it. So it must not be true. Well now, that changes my mind. If Sanifer says so, its GOT to be False. after all if it were true and he knew it was then that would be an admission. So, it must not be true at all then.... wink :p [/QB]Well now, we're finally making progress. Glad to see you're coming around to the truth. LOL! Yes I get it--you're being sarcastic. What do you say that we just agree to disagree and let this one rest?

Mean_Machine
02-20-2004, 09:06 AM
pero chato:

Mean_Machine:

pero chato
I spoke to Sandifer (again not Saniford) directly and not through a "friend" like you and he laughingly denies that he ever claimed Wylie had 930 students. OH, he denies it. So it must not be true. Well now, that changes my mind. If Sanifer says so, its GOT to be False. after all if it were true and he knew it was then that would be an admission. So, it must not be true at all then.... wink :p Well now, we're finally making progress. Glad to see you're coming around to the truth. LOL! Yes I get it--you're being sarcastic. What do you say that we just agree to disagree and let this one rest?[/QB]Thats fine.I think thats great way to end most disagreements. nothing wrong at all with that.

Mean_Machine
02-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Ranger Mom:
[QB

Let it go....you are fighting a losing battle on this board on this topic!

You need to have a few more than 7 posts before we know whether to take you seriously or not!! D

You are a "virtual" stranger to us right now!!

BTW....where at in West Texas??[/QB]Im not quite getting your point here. Is it that one does not know anything about a topick unless they have been around on this board for a while? Or Do you need to have to have posts in the hundreds in order to have an oppinion that matters? So if A Head football coach on a domminant team spoke on here, he would have no credibility unless they knew who he is or he had 200+ or more posts? Or Is it some kind of club that you have to be accepted to inorder to state an oppinion or repeat what was heard? I thought this was a board that you could say what you thought and repeaat what you hear. 3A football talk. Do the new people need to sit and listen for a while before posting? Then again if they do that, they have no posts, so as you put it they will not be taken seriously.

<small>[ February 20, 2004, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Mean_Machine ]</small>

Ranger Mom
02-20-2004, 09:54 AM
You are right...you didn't get my point.

My fault, I probably didn't put it exactly the way I wanted to!

What I tried to say is, I don't know you, where you are from, or anything. Whereas I do know Vet93, pero chato, etc., and highly respect what they have to say, because of their imput from the past.

Nothing against you at all.

Adidas410s
02-20-2004, 11:15 AM
You have the right to post anything you want on this board...for the most part. However, think of it this way: "Respect is earned, not given." A board is like a family of sorts and when somebody new comes along then everybody has to "feel it out" and see where that person fits in. Is it going to be somebody who posts regularly with intelligent thoughts and opinions and provides good discussion or is it going to be somebody who just comes on here and plays the "village idiot" and posts a bunch of uninformed BS just for the sake of posting.

I have chosen to stay out of this topic because I trust that Vet and pero chato could handle it and I spend most of my time on The Pig and galleywinter.com. However, for the record I will just go ahead and say that I pretty much agree with their thoughts and my record of posts on here and the Pig regarding people's unfounded accusations about Wylie can speak for themselves...

Mean_Machine
02-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Adidas410s:
You have the right to post anything you want on this board...for the most part. However, think of it this way: "Respect is earned, not given." A board is like a family of sorts and when somebody new comes along then everybody has to "feel it out" and see where that person fits in. Is it going to be somebody who posts regularly with intelligent thoughts and opinions and provides good discussion or is it going to be somebody who just comes on here and plays the "village idiot" and posts a bunch of uninformed BS just for the sake of posting.

I have chosen to stay out of this topic because I trust that Vet and pero chato could handle it and I spend most of my time on The Pig and galleywinter.com. However, for the record I will just go ahead and say that I pretty much agree with their thoughts and my record of posts on here and the Pig regarding people's unfounded accusations about Wylie can speak for themselves...Well I guess I can post things as long as wylie does not come out looking bad in them though. OK I understand. As long as my oppinions dont make wylie look bad in any way then they are ok with you.

Ranger Mom
02-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Geez!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Let's just move on shall we??

Mean_Machine
02-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Adidas410s:

I have chosen to stay out of this topic because I trust that Vet and pero chato could handle it and I spend most of my time on The Pig and galleywinter.com. However, for the record I will just go ahead and say that I pretty much agree with their thoughts and my record of posts on here and the Pig regarding people's unfounded accusations about Wylie can speak for themselves...Well One persons " Uninformed BS " May be considered Right on for some. But to Call them A LIE is not the right thing to do. To voice you oppinion that what was said is not right is one thing but to say its a LIE is another. Although some may not like it Some things cant be fully disclosed as to how we come about some Information. Some peoples pivacy is important. No one is calling for an investigation here. I have just stated My oppinion based on what I understand to be true. I do know somone who distinctly remembers talking to sanifer and recalls him saying "around 930" You can believe it or not. Heck if you want to restrict postings to posting things that you can only prove in print then your getting rid of %75 of the posts on this board. Some may think others are "village Idiots" for any reason. Just because you dont like it does not make it untrue or make someone and"idiot" for bringing it up. IF YOU READ MY POSTS you will see that I suggested an oppionion that they would have trouble in 4A. I stated that they(Wylie) would be playing for the 3rd spot in the two districts mentioned.... I cant have that oppinion???.. I stated I believe Wylie Fudges the #s on enrolement....That was based on what told to me by who I consider a truthfull individual. someone who spoke to Sanifer... put that togeather with all the other talk I have heard about wylie fudging the numbers by other people combined with the fact that they have 50 on the sideline on vertualy every football squad they have ( Frosh , J.V., Jarsity ) not to mention the Massive band they have... Heck If you didnt know better you would think they were a Large 4A or a Small 5A school by the numbers on the squads and in the band. you put all those things togeather and I dont think its a far fetched think to mention. So that being said. You can believe what you want . I dont really care in the end. I said what I said for a reason .It was my oppinion and I can have it. You can call it what you want. How you call it (Lie) or how you imply me to be(village idiot) only realy refects on the person saying it. My closing point is If one cant take what may be reflected as a negative oppinion on ones school practices then they should stay out of the "kitchen".

<small>[ February 20, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Machine ]</small>

Adidas410s
02-20-2004, 10:06 PM
If the schools practices are wrong then I will be the first person to admit to it. You are STILL missing the boat on what I am saying. Don't make claims if you cant (or wont in your case) back them up with some kind of 1st hand source instead of the "well I know somebody who talked to this guy and we heard ..." Let's leave the gossip to the Junior High kids OK???

There is no way that Sandifer would have ever said anything close to 930 was the Wylie number. 861 was the highest they have EVER been. He came in to where I work a few weeks ago on the Saturday before reallignment and he mentioned that while they were at 861 on Oct 31 they are now back around 825-830 due to a large amount of moving from Air Force families.

To this day I still find it comical that people think that Wylie fudges their numbers because ONE TIME 6 YEARS AGO ('98 reallignment in case you cant count) Wylie came up 1 student short. Since then they have gone to 35 students short, 81 students short, and 39 students short. Notice the trend EVERYBODY!!! Texas is growing faster than Wylie is and barring a huge change in population trends and/or UIL Policy you WILL NOT see Wylie go 4A in the next 10-15 years unless the UIL creates a 6A.

You mention that Wylie has a lot more kids on the sidelines in games and has a large band. Yes this is true but its not true ONLY for Wylie. For example, Waco Robinson has a band of over 215 kids with an enrollment under 700 kids. That is roughly 30% in band while Wylie has 135 out of 861, or 15%. The reason that schools such as these have a big band is because SUCCESS BREEDS INTEREST IN A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY!!! Robinson is very supportive of their band program...and rightfuly so. Wylie has been blessed with A LOT OF SUCCESS in EVERY sport/extra curricular event over the past 10 years and that, combined with 2nd to none community support, will lead to an increase in the number of kids willing to participate in sports. I would venture to say that at least50% of boys in JH @ Wylie will play football, basketball, and then track/tennis. That is just commonly accepted as the norm to play every sport. As they reach HS the majority tend to specialize in 2 sports, 1 fall and 1 spring. All the while, very few will totally quit all sports and thus you end up with a large # of kids playing every sport. Just because your total # of kids participating is high does it mean that your enrollment has to be even higher. It is simply a matter of an exceptionally high % of kids playing sports...and often times more than one. There is nothing fishy about that. Its just a fact...take it for what it is but YOU CANT DISPUTE FACTS!!! We can all whine and moan about opinions every day. Bring me some FACTS and THEN we'll discuss!

vet93
02-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Ballinger has about 40 boys per class in the junior high grades. At that age level approximately 65 to 70% of the boys play football. This gives you 24 to 30 kids per class in junior high that play football. Now...take Wylie's numbers. If they average 215 per class (probably a little higher in the lower grades), then they would have 70 to 75 kids per class who are playing football if they have a similar participation rate to Ballinger. Therefore, it is very easy to see why they get the numbers that they do in their athletic programs. Wylie also has a very good demographic for extracurricular participation. Kids who are middle class and above have higher participation rates than those groups who are considered by the state as low socioeconomic. Yet another reason why Wylie will have very good participation rates. They have the lowest low socioeconomic percentage in the district. Now, lets take band. Ballinger has about 50 kids in a school of 329 that participate. If Wylie has the same participation rate they would have 132 band members. That seems like a reasonable number of participants to me. I know at face value it seems like Wylie has more kids than they actually do based on the kids that you see participate...but you can see where their numbers are not really that different from other schools who have strong participation in extricurricular activities.

oh well
02-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Well said Vet

Mean_Machine
02-23-2004, 10:50 AM
oh well:
Well said Vetwink

Adidas410s
02-23-2004, 11:46 AM
I appreciate you agreeing with me Vet and helping me explain the facts...

Ranger Mom
02-23-2004, 12:25 PM
I believe Greenwood had the biggest band of anyone we played this year. (I think we average about 100 students in band - we turned in 509 )