PDA

View Full Version : Bush pushing Leinart into the endzone???

Adidas410s
10-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Did anybody else see this? Leinart went up and was stopped but it looked to me like Reggie pushed him into the endzone. I am starting to see it talked about on TV but I was pretty sure that you couldn't do this! I guess Pete Carroll not having replay saved their day...

GreenMonster
10-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I think the ref's were a little confused there at the end. Ball should have been spotted at the 2-3 yard line instead of where his forward progress stopped. Ball is returned to site where forward progress stops if the ball is fumbled FORWARD out of bounds not BACKWARD. This mistake was compounded by the ref's not being all on the same page as one ref signalled Touchdown, and the only ref stopping the clock was the one in the middle of the mess in the corner. Then of course Bush giving the push. The Zebra's are human too though and I think they might have gotten caught up in the moment a bit. Neither team deserved to lose.

kepdawg
10-15-2005, 09:32 PM
I haven't seen anything that showed Bush pushing Leinart in. It looked to me like Leinart got stood up and then spun away from the pile and crossed the goal line.

ro_tex_solja
10-15-2005, 09:57 PM
the first thing i noticed was bush pushing him in..leinhart got stuffed and then pushed from behind into the endzone...but even if that is illegal teammates always push someone forward to get short first downs all the time...i just think lienhart is gettin too much credit for the last play..reggie did everything...lol

kepdawg
10-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Maybe I was watching a different game!

I'll look for it when I see some more replays tonight.

crabman
10-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Just had the replay on Sportscenter. Definitely a push by Bush. Never seen that called though.

kepdawg
10-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I just saw what you guys are talking about. Looks like no big deal to me at all. Unless Bush is the strongest person ever that push didn't make the difference.

kaorder1999
10-15-2005, 10:16 PM
it is a rule that you cannot help the pile....

this is from a story....
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;_ylt=ApnzOmG9LifUqppW89ANur85nYcB?gid=200510 150104

Leinart had the option to spike the ball on the goal line play to regroup his team or go with what he had. He chose the latter, took it in himself over the left side and got a little help moving the pile from star tailback Reggie Bush.

``I used all 200 pounds of my body to push Matt in,'' said Bush, who ran for 160 yards on 15 carries with three touchdowns.

kepdawg
10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I guess I won't disagree with the pusher himself.

However, it didn't look necessary to me based on Leinart's spin off the pile and then inside the outside defender.

PhiI C
10-15-2005, 10:24 PM
The refs did seem to get lost the last few seconds which started confusion everywhere. USC did fumble the ball out of bounds. I don't know if it should have been placed at the 2 yard line or where it was placed. The biggest mistake they made was not having a review at the critical time. Plus USC went for it because with 7 seconds had they not made it they still would have had a time out left. It is a shame the refs didn't review the play before the td though just to be sure.

kepdawg
10-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Phil USC did not agree to use instant replay in the game so that was never an option today.

Hupernikomen
10-15-2005, 10:29 PM
that is a judgment call and isn't reviewable.

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2005, 10:31 PM
USC actually had the option...

ro_tex_solja
10-15-2005, 10:31 PM
honestly i think the quarterback sneak of leinhart wouldnt even have been an option if the refs would have spotted the ball right...from what i know they are supposed to mark the ball where it flies out of bounds...if thats the case i think they should have been further back on that last play therefore qb sneak wouldnt even have been an option, and the game could have been even better with overtime

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
honestly i think the quarterback sneak of leinhart wouldnt even have been an option if the refs would have spotted the ball right...from what i know they are supposed to mark the ball where it flies out of bounds...if thats the case i think they should have been further back on that last play therefore qb sneak wouldnt even have been an option, and the game could have been even better with overtime

the rule states that you must mark the ball where it goes out of bounds... stop the clock, and play the next down.

ro_tex_solja
10-15-2005, 10:35 PM
thats what im saying, it went out of bounds further back than where they spotted it, sorry i dont know if you are agreeing with me or not cuz not many people ever do, lol

GreenMonster
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
that is a judgment call and isn't reviewable.

Actually, the SPOT of the ball could be reviewed. And Phil, USC was out of timeouts, gutsy decision by Leinert. I point no fingers. Great game for both. The referees' mistakes didn't decide the outcome of this game and neither did the "push." Matt Leinert decided this game with a clutch performance down the stretch. Notre Dame did everything right just simply were beaten by a good football team. No heads should hang in South Bend the Irish left it all on the field and should be proud to have pushed the Trojans to the brink. Once again, I have to say this is one of the greatest college football games of my lifetime. WOW, what a great game.

Hupernikomen
10-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I know that..my statement was concerning whether or not Leinart was pushed by Bush...the title of the thread.

Keith7
10-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Notre Dame played an awesome game, but USC deserved this one... they showed alot of poise on that last drive..

3afan
10-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Did anybody else see this? Leinart went up and was stopped but it looked to me like Reggie pushed him into the endzone. I am starting to see it talked about on TV but I was pretty sure that you couldn't do this! I guess Pete Carroll not having replay saved their day...

PUSHING is not illegal ..... carrying and/or pulling is - at least thats how i understand it

but i could be wrong ...

3afan
10-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
the rule states that you must mark the ball where it goes out of bounds... stop the clock, and play the next down.

exactly ... there was no controversy here, refs got it 100% correct .... ND just didnt make the play when they needed to, SC did

but didnt you like NDs green jerseys? :p

Cameronbystander
10-16-2005, 08:16 AM
I may have been the only one that thinks they say something but on the fumble out of bounds, as the quarterback was trying to get to the ball, he grabbed the facemask of one of the defensive players. Had this been called, there would have been no touchdown.