PDA

View Full Version : Considering the year that Burnet has had, if they don't.......

cunbed10
11-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Win state, would this tarnish all of the accomplishments that they have set thus far? Will everyone say that Burnet was the best team that couldn't win the Big one, or will everyone forget about this group of talent that this town has? It's almost like if Burnet doesn't win state this will be one of the most surprising things of the year, so good luck to you Burnet, the pressure is really starting now, since you did make it to the final game last year, even though hobbled, anything less would be a disappointment in alot of folks eyes, but I think you guys had a once in a lifetime group of kids, and you'll better enjoy this group, because we may all be old and gray before you assemble a group this talented again.

JasperDog94
11-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Honestly, I think it would be a huge disappointment for Burnet not to win it all. That said, Burnet would have to play a subpar game for anyone to have a legit shot at beating them.

3afan
11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
sure it will be a disappointment to them - but there are dominant teams every year that don't win a state title

bc 76
11-03-2003, 02:47 PM
IT happened to Bay City 1984,ranked #1 in the state all year long coming off a state championship in 1983 with players like ricky davidson,hart lee dykes,joe deloach they played port arthur lincoln and were picked to win by as many as 30 pts well guess what happen we are down 27-3 at halftime we ended up losing 27-25 you just never know what can happen come playoff time.

bulldogvet85
11-03-2003, 03:43 PM
I think it would be a disapointment. I mean why wouldnt it? look at all the great things that has happened for them this year and they get to the big one and cant finish it. It's hard to say though would everyone forget about them and the group of talent they had or always remember them and just think about them losing just when it counted the most. But we wont know till we get to that point and hopefully we will remember them for winnning it and not losing it. It's true though that you never know what could happen in the game at any point. I was at the alamodome last year watching a 5a state championship game against judson and midland with under 20 seconds left in the game midland score a touchdown and puts them ahead by 6 everyone thought it was over people started to leave, but with 7 seconds left judson throws a 76-yard touchdown pass to win the game. I mean you never know what can happen especially when the stakes are that high. GOOD LUCK BURNET!!!!

<small>[ November 03, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: bulldogvet85 ]</small>

bc 76
11-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Come playoff time its a new season and you can forget about the regular season cause it don't mean nothing if you lose a playoff game.On paper burnet should beat everybody by 100pts but on the field its another story,luck plays a big part and not losing a key player to injuries will also come into play.Could you imagine burnet losing mcgee for the year what and impact it would be to that team.

Chris Hart
11-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Guys, for me as a fan, not winning it all would be a heartbreaking disappointment, but for anyone to think that even with a team as talented as Burnet, that the state championship trophy will be a cakewalk, just isn't being reasonable. Us here in Burnet, the fans/team/coaches know we face an uphill battle. Going wire to wire as #1 doesn't happen very often, so we know it's going to be a longshot. We have the team capable of it IMO, but we also had most of this team last year. I'm not trying to downplay Everman of last year, but IMO if healthy last year, we would've won it all last year. That being said, we all here in Burnet know that we are just an injury away from coming up short once again. Burnet went to state and lost in 91 7-0, we entered 92 at #1 in most polls and were upset in the second round. Burnet fans know that along with championships, you have to have a little luck along the way. That's what we haven't had in the past. I hope and pray that whether or not we win it all or not, that we remain healthy. The long off seasons of 'what if's' are VERY long indeed. But yes, I would be disappointed, but it would not tarnish in my eyes what this group of young men have accomplished. This is Texas High School football and thre are alot of GREAT teams out there. This playoff season will once again be VERY enjoyable for all the fans across the state, no matter who wins the big prize. I enjoy Friday night football as well as anything, and have never had the oppurtunity of cheering for a state championship team, but my passion will remain the same whether or not I ever get the oppurtunity or not. Go Burnet Bulldogs!

<small>[ November 03, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

PAINTBALL
11-03-2003, 08:07 PM
When the team you support has one of those very special teams capable of winning State, The first thing you want to know is who else out there has one of those teams and how does their team compare to yours. You hope you don't find out that another town has one of those special, special, special teams that only come along once in 20 years. I have heard no one claim that their town has one of those "Absoluty Unbeatable teams." Based on this and the opinions of the sports writers, I have to believe that the timing is good this year for Burnet to win the whole thing.

The varibles are too great to say they will win state, but I don't believe anyone will deny that they have a better chance then all but three or four other teams, and an equal chance with those other schools. In a race for the title, I'll take those odds. GO BURNET!!!!

olddawggreen
11-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Naturally it would be a huge disapointment to get knocked out during the playoffs before reaching our final goal. We experienced that last year. But if it happens I won't feel any less proud of our Burnet Bulldogs. Its been a heck of a ride the last several years. Though I have always believed in the team and have supported them 150%, I have tried to remain reserved about the possibility of us winning the state title this year. Ive just taken it one game at a time. Every game I have watched them play I have felt more more and more confident in the team. Ive seen them face new situations on the field and make the adjustments necessary to over come them. I believe they can take it all this year if they can just stay healthy. Personally I would be more comfortable if we hadn't been rated #1 all year. Its a tough place to be. Its kind of like being in politics in a small town, some of the people love you and rest want you to fall on your butt. But thats life.

Personally, this is about a lot more than winning the state title. Our coaching staff has been incredible, from varsity athletics down to Jr. High. Since Shipley came on board Ive seen an amazing transformation take place within our sports program. Ive seen our coaches raise the bar considerably and Ive seen our kids working harder than they ever have to reach their goals. They work hard because they have been shown that through hard work good things can be realized and that anything is possible. Most of our atheletes will not compete again after they leave high school, but they will carry the winning spirit and the lessons they have learned with them into the real world. And for this I am grateful.
I will be praying for all the players on all the teams to remain injury free and to be able to play to the best of their ability. GO BURNET BULLDOGS, GIVE THEM YOUR BEST!

<small>[ November 03, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: olddawggreen ]</small>

Old Dog
11-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Some real good comments fellows!

BurnetBandRules
11-04-2003, 01:39 AM
I don't think that there is any vocabulary word that can describe the pain of another loss at the State Level. BUT, I do think that we know the ropes of being there so I feel that there isn't that big of a chance to loose. There are so many things that are going good in Burnet. Our main thing is to keep McGee in good playing condition because we have PLENTY of recievers that can do well if Shipley were to get hurt. I also think that if we did loose McGee our defense will balance it out ENOUGH to win a game. I think that the coaches have realized that this year, thus the circulating of the many recievers and the development of possibly the BEST defense in the state. IF Burnet WERE to loose another state game, there would be a whole town in a state of shock and dissapointment. So, that being said, can we not talk about what it would do to the community if we were to loose and replace it with a topic such as....let me see....."How would Burnet Fans react if Burnet one the State 3AAA Title?" SOunds good to me! :-)

surfspike
11-04-2003, 02:07 AM
if burnet REALLY wants a championship then they should take it.

Old Green
11-04-2003, 06:24 AM
PAINTBALL:
When the team you support has one of those very special teams capable of winning State, The first thing you want to know is who else out there has one of those teams and how does their team compare to yours. You hope you don't find out that another town has one of those special, special, special teams that only come along once in 20 years. I have heard no one claim that their town has one of those "Absoluty Unbeatable teams." Based on this and the opinions of the sports writers, I have to believe that the timing is good this year for Burnet to win the whole thing.

The varibles are too great to say they will win state, but I don't believe anyone will deny that they have a better chance then all but three or four other teams, and an equal chance with those other schools. In a race for the title, I'll take those odds. GO BURNET!!!!Well said Paintball. That's what is all about.

olddog73
11-04-2003, 05:24 PM
If we don't win state this year we would be disapointed for sure, but we would be thankful for all the good things our team has been able to acomplish this year.Win or lose the big one, the guys will always be remembered in Burnet as one of the best teams we have ever had the privalige to watch. We would then get up, dust ourselves off and start planning for next year. That said, I never take another team for granted. The playoffs are a whole new challange that we must overcome. I think if we stay healthy and stay focused, we have a more than excelent chance of taking it all the way. But win or lose, this Burnet team and their coaches definatly have my respect and my support. GO GET EM BURNET BULLDOGS! GIVE IT YOUR BEST, WE CAN ASK NO MORE.