PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Moye is NOT coming back to Jasper

spiveyrat
10-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Late complications force Jasper transfer to miss Diboll's game

By GARY WILLMON/Lufkin Daily News

Saturday, October 15, 2005

DIBOLL — Barring any other unexpected roadblocks, the Diboll Lumberjacks should have another player added to their varsity football roster as of next week's home game against Rusk — former Jasper QB Gilbert Moye, who led the 'Dogs to the state final last year.

In extensive and lengthy telephone conference calls that spanned the better part of two days, Diboll ISD officials produced adequate documentation proving that Moye, who was transplanted to Diboll three weeks ago by Hurricane Rita, has legal residence in the district.

The University Interscholastic League (UIL) had originally ruled all transplanted athletes could join their new teams of legal residence after a 15-day eligibility waiting period, which Moye satisfied Friday. On top of that, DISD officials produced by fax, documentation of Moye's legal residence inside the district.

Diboll ISD athletic director Finis Vanover said that following a conference call with the UIL on Thursday afternoon, everything was set for Moye to play in Friday's game at Palestine for the 'Jacks. However, the UIL made an 11th hour ruling, disallowing Moye's participation on Friday afternoon, sending DISD administrators scrambling to produce the adequate documents.

"It was absurd," Vanover said of the extended roadblocks placed in Moye's path by the UIL and member schools — Rusk, Palestine and Jasper. "We had everything that the UIL said we had to have documented. We had it. They had it. We had everything that was necessary."

But then the UIL faxed a denial on Friday afternoon, citing questions with his place of residence being a "choice, rather than involuntary."

"The UIL said two things had to take place — that he had no control over the situation and that his moving was involuntary," Vanover said. "He met those criteria, and he also met the residential requirements."

The UIL's contention in its Friday denial was that Diboll had not yet received the formal signed waiver from Jasper ISD, although UIL administrators ruled transplanted athletes were eligible at their new schools. The Jasper waiver signature was just a formality, UIL officials said, but one that was necessary.

That ruling came so late on Friday that Jasper ISD officials had gone home for the day, leaving Diboll coaches with no choice but to hold Moye out of Friday's contest, which the Lumberjacks lost 45-14 to Palestine.

Vanover said that the paperwork should be completed early next week, and if there were more roadblocks, he and Diboll ISD superintendent Bobby Baker were prepared to travel to Austin in person and present the documentation to the UIL.

wos fan1
10-15-2005, 11:56 AM
:eek: Jasper has to be upset especially with Hunt not returning.

Hupernikomen
10-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Wish him the best. It is hard for us a fan to sit here as arm chair critics and discuss why something like this happened. None of us know the "reasons" and I hope we don't stoop to levels of ridicule toward this young man or his family. One thing I do know is that Diboll got a very good player to build around..and they sure needed one from what I saw a few friday nights ago. Jasper will miss Moye, but much like BH we can place another at QB adjust and move on.

wos fan1
10-15-2005, 12:01 PM
You guys have another QB that is very good as well.

Hupernikomen
10-15-2005, 12:13 PM
You guys got one that is better than them both so stop trying to make us feel better :mad: :p

wos fan1
10-15-2005, 12:21 PM
You have to think Moye is coming back because i don't think he can play at Diboll this year.

bulldogbark
10-15-2005, 01:42 PM
well I am loosening up my arm right now.. got to get the old passing arm in shape again. I was practicing pretty hard on my passing at noon with my wife. Pass the roast. pass the taters. pass the tea, I should be ready by friday:p

andy_dufresne
10-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
You have to think Moye is coming back because i don't think he can play at Diboll this year.

I guess you haven't been paying attention...

Mustangpride09
10-15-2005, 04:15 PM
and jaspers season continues to deplete

bulldogbark
10-15-2005, 04:53 PM
and jaspers season continues to deplete

what was that about deplete. Jasper has always "always" been able to dig down into their depth charts and find a QB willing to take the helm and do a fine job in doing it. so nothing is depleted. dont yall have depth? dont count us out:p it would be a careless thing to do:D

GS#17
10-15-2005, 07:38 PM
First off, best of luck to Moye. It's a shame he isn't at Jasper, but hopefully, he's doing what's best for him.

Second, Jasper is Jasper. They have never been a one-man show, and I don't think losing Moye is the end of the world. They have a ton of speed, great athletes, and lots of skill players, and although they are losing a great player, I really they will just pick up and reload.

spiveyrat
10-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
well I am loosening up my arm right now.. got to get the old passing arm in shape again. I was practicing pretty hard on my passing at noon with my wife. Pass the roast. pass the taters. pass the tea, I should be ready by friday:p

Sounds more like receiver practice than quarterback practice! ;)

j_dog
10-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
First off, best of luck to Moye. It's a shame he isn't at Jasper, but hopefully, he's doing what's best for him.

Second, Jasper is Jasper. They have never been a one-man show, and I don't think losing Moye is the end of the world. They have a ton of speed, great athletes, and lots of skill players, and although they are losing a great player, I really they will just pick up and reload.
I have to agree completely. First, best of luck to Moye in whatever he does. Two, had Moye not been a returning QB, folks around the state would probably already be talking about how good a QB Scott is at Jasper. As it is, he will now have to establish his credentials. But WOS, as you know, got to see some of his talents at QB in that first game. He looked pretty darn good to me for the short time he was at QB.

Tiger90
10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I admit I have not seen Jasper yet this season, but wasn't Moye/Jasper having some difficulty before Rita anyways? I could be wrong, but I thought some on here were a little upset in his play. I would be willing to bet that he will be in a Bulldog uniform next season. Not to knock on Diboll, but Jasper is a higher profile school and a power year in and year out. As an opposing district team, hopefully we'll match up better with Jasper now.;)

eagle.eyes
10-17-2005, 01:52 PM
If I was a betting man, which I am, I say Jasper is gonna be better now. Going to be a long night for anyone in that district if Jasper cuts out the TO's!

JasperDog94
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by eagle.eyes
If I was a betting man, which I am, I say Jasper is gonna be better now. Going to be a long night for anyone in that district if Jasper cuts out the TO's! Now THAT is the truth.

Hupernikomen
10-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I still think we have the players at Jasper to play with anyone in 3A. This storm has hurt a lot of SE Texas teams more by the lost practice time than the couple of players we might have lost.

JasperDog94
10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but we didn't have to worry about losing any momentum. :doh:

Hupernikomen
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Yeah, but we didn't have to worry about losing any momentum. :doh:

no kidding.

WOS1
10-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Guys, Moye has posted on the Jasper board. He has no place to live right now because his grandparents home has been destroyed, he regrets having to leave Jasper and vows that he will return. The problem is that they don't know when, but it sounds like it will definitely be after the football season. I think everyone needs to cut the guy some slack (including myself). Apparently, his situation has NOTHING to do with football or whether or not he or the coaches are happy with his play or moving positions or anything else. It is simply an unfortunate situation that he has no control over, but he just wants to be able to play the game. I think that we should all appreciate that and he should be able to enjoy the rest of the season without all the second guessing.

Bandera YaYa
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Guys, Moye has posted on the Jasper board. He has no place to live right now because his grandparents home has been destroyed, he regrets having to leave Jasper and vows that he will return. The problem is that they don't know when, but it sounds like it will definitely be after the football season. I think everyone needs to cut the guy some slack (including myself). Apparently, his situation has NOTHING to do with football or whether or not he or the coaches are happy with his play or moving positions or anything else. It is simply an unfortunate situation that he has no control over, but he just wants to be able to play the game. I think that we should all appreciate that and he should be able to enjoy the rest of the season without all the second guessing. AMEN !! Let this young man have a little happiness, a little normalacy in a really tragic situation...I hope he gets to play soon and has a blast!!!! Its football guys....just a game...let him play it wherever he can.......