PDA

View Full Version : PI's Villarreal sets record, PI 2-1 in dist.

footballgal
10-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Magical Marky

PI's Villarreal sets single-game rushing record

http://www.valleystar.com/content/articles/2005/10/15/sports/sports5.jpg
G. Daniel Lopez/Brownsville Herald
PI running back Marky Villarreal takes off on one of his long runs on Friday night against the Raymondville Bearkats.
By JOHN CANNON
Star correspondent

PORT ISABEL - Port Isabel tailback Marky Villarreal received a standing ovation near the end of Homecoming Night when the public-address announcer noted that he had set the Valley single-game record for rushing yards.

Villarreal amassed 403 yards on the ground, breaking the previous record of 398 set by Edinburg Economedes' Ryan Richardson last year, and helped the Tarpons defeat the Raymondville Bearkats 48-19 Friday.

Port Isabel improved to 2-1 in district and 2-5 overall. Raymondville dropped to 1-2 in district and 1-6 overall.

Villarreal was elated with breaking the record and gave credit where it was due.

"This feels so good, I can't believe I did it," said the 165-pound senior, who carried 29 times on the night and had two long runs nullified by penalty that might have put him close to an astounding 500 rushing yards. "I am still in shock. But, I have to give all the credit to my offensive line. They did an outstanding job tonight. They deserve this award also."

Villarreal was unaware that he was even close to breaking the record and becoming the first 400-yard rusher in Valley history.

"I had no idea that I was in range," he said. "I wondered what was going on when they kept giving me the ball in the third quarter. After nine straight carries, I was getting tired. But, after I heard it, it was all worthwhile."

Tarpons head coach Monty Stumbaugh was happy for his workhorse, but he was pleased with the win also.

"This is a great accomplishment for Marky," said Stumbaugh. "The record is great, but the win is big for us right now. We played well on both sides of the ball and maintained our focus early when Raymondville scored on two big plays."

Stumbaugh feels that the statistical milestone will propel his team for the rest of the season.

"This record is definitely something to build on," he said. "This will provide a big lift for us. But, even though Marky broke it, it is a team record in my eyes."

Raymondville struck first with a 52-yard touchdown pass from Carlo Dominguez (11 of 26 for 209 yards with two TDs and two INT) to Eric Conde (three receptions for 134 yards and 2 TD's) with 10:11 left in the first quarter to take a 7-0 lead.

The dynamic duo hooked up again on a 69-yard touchdown pass early in the second quarter.

But, the Tarpons answered back with a 65-yard touchdown run by Villarreal and tied it at 7 with 9:54 left in the first quarter.

Villarreal scored on runs of 31 and 23 to give him three on the night.

Port Isabel added a 48-yard field goal by Victor Ramirez to put them up 10-7 at the end of the first quarter.

Fullback Emil Gonzalez punched it in from the one-yard line and the Tarpons were up 16-7 with 11:09 in the first half.

Then, tailback Ralph Valdez took over, scoring on runs of 3, 1, and 20.

Valdez ended up with 65 yards on 13 carries.

Raymondville scored their last touchdown of the night with a one-yard touchdown run by Manny Mata.

Villarreal said that he is going to celebrate with his big horses. "I am going to take my offensive line out to eat at a nice restaurant, not McDonald's."

footballgal
10-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Port Isabel’s Villarreal breaks record

Tarpons’ running back rushes for 403 yards on 29 carries

By ROY HESS
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL, October 15, 2005 — It was a night to remember for Marky Villarreal and the Port Isabel Tarpons.

Villarreal, a senior running back, carried the ball 29 times for 403 yards and three touchdowns to set a Rio Grande Valley single-game rushing record as PI triumphed over Raymondville 48-19 on homecoming Friday night at Tarpon Stadium.

Villarreal broke the single-game rushing record of 398 yards set last year by Ryan Richardson of Edinburg Economedes.

"This feels real good right now," said Villarreal, who couldn’t help but flash a big smile after the game was over. "My offensive line was blocking for me like they always do. Thanks to Esteban (Delgadillo), Frankie (Espinosa), Zac (Tamayo), Roger (Alaniz), Faustino (Camacho) and Ruben (Lopez). Thanks to all those guys, and thanks to (quarterback) Carr (Grienier) and (running back) Ralph (Valdez), too.

"I appreciate it, and just let the rest of the district know that we’re coming," he added.

After starting 0-5, the defending District 32-3A Tarpons have now won two in a row for a 2-1 mark in league play. They are now 2-5 overall.

Raymondville, which came into the game allowing more than 400 yards a game, fell to 1-6 and 1-3.

Villarreal, who also broke the single-game school record of 359 yards set by Travis Sanders in 1978, had 271 yards on 14 carries by halftime.

"Marky’s record is fantastic," PI coach Monty Stumbaugh said. "We found out (in the third quarter) that he was only about 30 yards short, and that was the only reason we kept him in there. We let the boy have a chance to get the record. Those type of things don’t come around very often.

"As soon as he got it (with eight minutes left in the fourth quarter), we took him out," the PI coach added. "It was a heck of an accomplishment. It was a team effort. You don’t get those type of yards if your teammates aren’t blocking and you don’t get those yards if you don’t have the football. Our defense played well and did a good job of getting the ball back so we could go on offense."

It was a see-saw battle early as Raymondville went up 7-0 on its opening possession. Bearkats quarterback Carlo Dominguez completed a 52-yard scoring toss to Eric Conde and Rene Rios added the extra point with 10:11 showing in the first quarter.

PI answered quickly as Villarreal scored his first TD on a 65-yard run at the 9:54 mark of the quarter. Victor Ramirez added the first of his three extra points on the night.

The Tarpons went up 10-7 on a 48-yard field goal by Ramirez with 4:24 left in the opening period. The 48-yarder is believed to be a school record.

With 11:09 showing in the second quarter, the Tarpons went ahead 16-7 on a 1-yard run by Emil Gonzalez to cap a seven-play, 53-yard drive.

Raymondville closed the gap to 16-13 when Dominguez’s deep pass bounced off the hands of Bearkat wide receiver Andrew Hernandez and landed in the hands of teammate Conde, who sprinted about 20 yards into the end zone with 10:51 left before the half. The play covered 69 yards.

Villarreal tallied his second TD on a 31-yard run with 4:59 remaining in the second quarter as the Tarpons increased their lead to 22-13.

Dominguez completed seven of his first eight passes but then went cold. He was intercepted three times just before the half to set up two more Tarpon scores. The interceptions were made by Manuel Gonzalez (two picks) and James Delgado.

The first of the two TDs came on a 3-yard run by PI running back Ralph Valdez with 2:58 left before intermission, and the second score came on a 23-yard run by Villarreal with 2:25 showing.

The Tarpons went into halftime leading 35-13.

PI went 75 yards on 11 plays on its first possession of the second half to go up 41-13 on Valdez’s 1-yard run.

Valdez, who finished with 64 yards rushing on 13 carries, tallied his third TD of the night with 2:36 to go in the third quarter on a 20-yard run. That score plus Ramirez’s kick made it 48-13.

Raymondville drove down the field in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter and scored its final TD on a 1-yard run by Manny Mata with 28 seconds left in the game.

3afan
10-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
403 yards on 29 carries

dang :eek: ... thats a season for some