PDA

View Full Version : Are my Apaches gonna make the playoffs?

injuredinmelee
10-15-2005, 12:04 AM
I see they won again tonight.

44INAROW
10-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I see they won again tonight.

Unless something really unexpected happens, Gonzales should be the Div I District 26AAA representative. - But as we've all witnessed this year, some strange things have happened.

18handicap
10-15-2005, 08:18 AM
West Columbia sure wants the Apaches to make the playoffs.

pirate4state
10-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Apaches keep playoff hopes intact with win over Yoakum

October 15, 2005

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/yoakum_vs_gonz_fball_10.jpg
Gonzales running back Kenneth Smith takes a hit by a Yoakum Bulldog defender Friday night during a District 26-3A contest at Bulldog Stadium. Smith scored the game's only touchdown in leading the Apaches to an 8-0 win.

YOAKUM - The Gonzales Apaches made a first-quarter touchdown stand up as they fought off the rallying Yoakum Bulldogs for an 8-0 win in a District 26-3A game.

Kenneth Smith scored the lone touchdown in the game on a 6-yard run with 2:38 left in the first quarter. The conversion kick was blocked but David Schautteet picked up the loose ball and ran in into the end zone.

The Apaches, now 2-0 in district and 4-2 overall, had just 146 yards of offense but its defense came up with key stops in the shadows of the Gonzales' goal posts.

Yoakum, now 1-1 in district and 2-5 overall, had several opportunities to score but couldn't get in the end zone.

The Bulldogs responded to the Gonzales touchdown by driving the field to the Apache 9. There the Gonzales defense held and forced a field goal attempt but the 26-yard try by Aaron Kloesel missed.

Late in the second quarter, Yoakum drove to the Gonzales 23 before the drive bogged down. Brett Brittain tried a 40-yard field goal but the kick fell short.

Yoakum got a break in the third quarter, starting a possession at the Gonzales 35 and driving inside the 5-yard line only to have the Apache defense rise up and stop the Bulldogs on four downs at the Gonzales 2.

In the fourth quarter, Gonzales came up with another steadfast stand at the Apache 4 to half the Bulldogs. Yoakum got on last chance in Gonzales territory but could move the ball only two yards and turned the ball over on down.

Smith sparked the Apaches with 69 yards on 20 carries while Nic Crozier completed 5 of 9 passes for 62 yards. Schautteet had two catches for 34 yards and Garrett Simper had two catches for 19 yards.

Sedrick Walker sparked Yoakum with 76 yards on 13 carries and Jeff Natho completed 8 of 15 passes for 103 yards. Brittain caught four passes for 95 yards