PDA

View Full Version : Iowa's pink visitors' lockerroom takes some shots

kmac7
09-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Some people are lame and have no sense of humor
---------------------------

Opponents seeing red over Iowa's pink locker room
Associated Press

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The pink visitors' locker room at the University of Iowa's stadium is making some people see red.

Several professors and students joined the call Tuesday for the athletic department to do away with the pink showers, carpeting and lockers, a decades-long Hawkeye football tradition.

Critics say the use of pink demeans women, perpetuates offensive stereotypes about women and homosexuality, and puts the university in the uncomfortable position of tacitly supporting those messages.

''I want the locker room gone,'' law school professor Jill Gaulding told a university committee studying the athletic department's compliance with NCAA standards, including gender equity.

For decades, visiting football teams playing at Kinnick Stadium have dressed and showered in the pink locker room. The tradition was started by former Iowa coach Hayden Fry, a psychology major who said pink had a calming and passive effect on people.

As part of the stadium's two-year, $88 million makeover, athletic officials took the former coach's interior decorating ideas to another level, splashing pink across the brick walls, shower floors and installing pink metal lockers, carpeting, sinks, showers and urinals.

The controversy gained momentum and media attention last week when a visiting law school professor told reporters she had received death threats after voicing objections on her Web site.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/0928/photo/a_lockerroom_i.jpg

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kmac7
Some people are lame and have no sense of humor
---------------------------
Critics say the use of pink demeans women, perpetuates offensive stereotypes about women and homosexuality, and puts the university in the uncomfortable position of tacitly supporting those messages.

''I want the locker room gone,'' law school professor Jill Gaulding told a university committee studying the athletic department's compliance with NCAA standards, including gender equity.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/0928/photo/a_lockerroom_i.jpg

Oh, give me a break! Pink demeans women? :rolleyes: They could've splashed a couple of pin-ups on the walls. Maybe to promote "gender equity", they should paint the women's dressing room in baby blue.

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
This is so stupid...

I think I am going to puke...

Gimme this guy's address, I'm gunna send him a can of pink paint... on the house :D

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree..it should go! The reasons for having it are just plain stupid....I don't buy into the "calming" reasoning....this man just wants to be an.. (well i can't say that word on here) and he's using the word "tradition" to justify his sick sense of humor.....blah..I would love to hear of a visiting team "adding" some color of their choice! :rolleyes: ...just my opinion, of course!

NateDawg39
09-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Actually it is true about the color helping calm the body and mind. I think people just want attention for something and thats why they are complaining about the color.

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Actually it is true about the color helping calm the body and mind. I think people just want attention for something and thats why they are complaining about the color. ...oh and of course the person responsible for the pinkness isn't trying to get any attenion...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:18 PM
If someone can tell me that the HC that made the decision to paint the locker-room pink decades ago did it for the soul purpose to discriminate against famlales and homos, I can understand it...

The people who step foot in this locker-room are males, statistically none of them are homosexual/female... so until THEY complain that it offends them, why should the 'outside' worry about it???

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
...oh and of course the person responsible for the pinkness isn't trying to get any attenion...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the guy started it in 1979... it's just now getting attention...

If he did it just to get attention from the media/americans, he failed in doing it quickly haha

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh I don't think the HC did it for those reasons....I just think it's dumb and he's a (word of which I can't say on here) !! And you don't think opposing teams have anything to say about it, when they enter it????? :confused:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Ohhhh... well I have plenty to say about a lot of things I do not like... but it's life... unless it inflicts emotional/physical harm on me, I aint gunna complain about it...

Sorry, I have to go now, I'm gunna go paint the visitors' locker room at Cuero purple... wait, that's the Fish/JV's locker-room.... nm

And since when has someone who painted a locker-room pink been a (I can't say it here)????

ha

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Of course that's just MY opinion.....and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! And ain't you just so passive this evening....... :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Ha, how's this for passive:

Your text is written in pink, this must explain your desire to shoot down something that draws nothing but an opinion from you...:D

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:29 PM
My opinion is that Cuero can win state this year...

How about we end the season and just give 'em the title?

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Ha, how's this for passive:

Your text is written in pink, this must explain your desire to shoot down something that draws nothing but an opinion from you...:D Now you done gone and made it personal...attacking MY personal choices.....if you dont like the pink :p :p :p :p

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:35 PM
My opinion is that Cuero can win state this year...

How about we end the season and just give 'em the title? ...how about I end YOUR season..... :mad:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
No, I like the pink, in Iowa's locker-room, that is...

Let's see here... if having a pink locker-room is offensive to women and homosexuals, it must be because that color represents them, correct? Like a 'pride' thing maybe?

Well, it offends me that women and homosexuals are so represented on this board, you don't see any of us guys posting in blue...

I say we remove all options that include using the colors pink and blue...

Ranger Mom
09-28-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't have an opinion on this matter on way or the other.....

but....I just think pink PAINTED on ANYTHING is just ugly!!

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I'd say you better run like he!! if you do that, buster!!!! You can't discriminate on here!!!! Geesh!..that;s it....I've done had enough of you...I'm getting out my jar of newts.....lets see.....yah think i'll use the "extra" small ones for this job..... :D

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
...how about I end YOUR season..... :mad:

You probably could... the pink locker-room crap is equal to only guys playing football... more females could be made to feel inferior to guys because they are not as physically able to play the game... so yah, most-likely, in the world we have today, you could atleast get things going in that direction...

:D

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:41 PM
You probably could... the pink locker-room crap is equal to only guys playing football... more females could be made to feel inferior to guys because they are not as physically able to play the game... so yah, most-likely, in the world we have today, you could atleast get things going in that direction...

:D now you are just trying to annoy me...... :mad:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:42 PM
now you are just trying to annoy me...... :mad:

Nope, just trying to help you see how stupid it is to take away a tradition that in no way involves women/homosexuals...

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Nope, just trying to help you see how stupid it is to take away a tradition that in no way involves women/homosexuals... DID YOU NOT HEAR (SEE?) ME???? That's not the reason I think he did it for...geezzzzzzz....do I have to draw you a picture????? :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Well that's good, glad we see equal on that part...

So if not, why do you think it should be removed?

from behind haha

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Well that's good, glad we see equal on that part...

So if not, why do you think it should be removed?

from behind haha HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA :eek:

turbostud
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
How come no one is griping about this?

Pink Underwear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio)

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
How come no one is griping about this?

Pink Underwear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio)

:eek: :eek: ROFL!!!

jason
09-28-2005, 10:28 PM
pink isnt that bad

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2747/jason9a4ob.opt.jpg

aggiejohn
09-28-2005, 10:53 PM
I agree..it should go! The reasons for having it are just plain stupid....I don't buy into the "calming" reasoning....this man just wants to be an.. (well i can't say that word on here) and he's using the word "tradition" to justify his sick sense of humor.....blah..I would love to hear of a visiting team "adding" some color of their choice! :rolleyes: ...just my opinion, of course! you would agree

SintonFan
09-29-2005, 12:18 AM
...oh and of course the person responsible for the pinkness isn't trying to get any attenion...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
and
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2747/jason9a4ob.opt.jpg
ROFLMAO!!!
;) :D :p :D
jus havin some fun...