09-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Yanks or BoSox?
'Stros-Can they do it?

GWOOD
09-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yanks or BoSox?
'Stros-Can they do it?

'Stros - Yes they can (if you are just talking about making the playoffs); the Phillies are helping them out by losing two straight

Yanks - Both teams talented; Yanks on a roll (except for last night)

Wouldn't this scenario be great?

Yanks, BoSox, Tribe all finish with same record

Monday - Yanks & BoSox have playoff for division champion because of tie

Tuesday - Loser plays Tribe for WildCard spot

Jasperdog94
09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
The stros looked great last night. Roy O looked fantastic!

gobbler grad
09-28-2005, 12:02 PM
That American League is tight right now...like to see someone different than the Yankees right now...and I heard Braves won division for 14th year in a row...they just can't produce a championship team...they just quit hitting in the playoffs...we will just have to see...

GO ASTROS...:p

Jasperdog94
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
they just quit hitting in the playoffs...I hope that's a tradition that continues in this year's playoffs. That's who the stros will play in the first round.

GWOOD
09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Jasperdog94
I hope that's a tradition that continues in this year's playoffs. That's who the stros will play in the first round.

I think the Astros match up quite well with the Braves. They have no pitcher under 3.00 ERA. (The Astros have three.) They have no one batting over .300. Andrew Jones has 51 HR's but after him the next top two have only hit 20 HR's (C. Jones & LaRoche). They have Smoltz & Hudson, but who do they have after that? Bullpen is strong.

How do they win the East division? I don't know but they always seem to find a way.

big daddy russ
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
On Chipper's part, he has been injured through a lot of the season. He'd probably be a 30-homer guy if he had been healthy all year.

Go Tribe.

Go Stros.

BMOC
09-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Last year the Astros caught fire late that got them to the League Championship Series. Hopefully they can extend on that this year and Make it to the World Series.

I hate Steinbrenner....or however you spell his name.....but I do like a lot of those players including Manager Joe Torre. So in the AL I'm going with those d*** Yankees.

Jasperdog94
09-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Microsoft. The one with the most money ususally wins. There have been exceptions, but the Yankees have won more than their fair share.:mad:

GWOOD
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BMOC

I hate Steinbrenner....or however you spell his name.....but I do like a lot of those players including Manager Joe Torre. So in the AL I'm going with those d*** Yankees.

They seem to be the best team right now in the AL. Cleveland Indians are hot but playing an easier schedule than the Yankees are this month.

GWOOD
09-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Microsoft. The one with the most money ususally wins. There have been exceptions, but the Yankees have won more than their fair share.:mad:

No one has winning expectations like the Yankees. That's why they win. That's why they spend money. There are other owners with the capabilities to spend money but they are conservative with their money.

Say what you want about the Yankees but they are absolutely committed to winning.

snytigbaseb07
09-28-2005, 03:54 PM
BOSOX beeeyotches

all the way.

BOSOX DIEHARD 89-05

lol, i say sox by one game on yanks, i say the sox will win the last game against the yanks to take the one game lead.

Maroon87
09-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I have tickets to see the Astros vs. Cubs on Sunday. It's supposed to be Roy O for the Stros but if they have the WC wrapped up then they might throw Astacio. Either way it'll be fun...:cool:

Jasperdog94
09-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
There are other owners with the capabilities to spend money but they are conservative with their money. So do you think that Tampa Bay can spend 200 million? How about Kansas City? No way! Georgie Porgie gets mega millions from cable and TV rights. That's where his unfair advantage comes from.

Buccaneer
09-28-2005, 05:39 PM
I am a big Astros fan! I don't know if their pitching can overcome their no offense in the playoffs! I think the loss of Beltran will be paramount in the playoffs! He carried them last year in the playoffs!

GWOOD
09-29-2005, 12:09 AM
So do you think that Tampa Bay can spend 200 million? How about Kansas City? No way! Georgie Porgie gets mega millions from cable and TV rights. That's where his unfair advantage comes from.

Now wait. I did not say every owner has the capabilities that the Yankees do. You used the examples of some of the smallest market teams in baseball. The Cubs, Braves, Dodgers, Mets, also make big profits from cable TV.

What I am saying is that not every owner is committed to winning. For example, because of their small payroll, Milwaukee is considered a small market team. But check out Forbes magazine when they do their profit reports on baseball owners. Milwaukee is either #1 profit maker or they are in the top three. That is because Selig is a tightwad and is not committed to putting a winner on the field. Hmmmmmm.....the biggest profit making team in baseball is known for being a mediocre team at best.

Another point: Ever notice that the only ones complaining about the Yankees payroll are sportswriters and fans? Have you ever heard another owner complain about the Yankees spending? I can't recall it. It may be because that the luxury tax adds at least another 1/2 million to each teams profit every year, at the expense of the Yankees and their spending. I'm sure many businesses would love it if their most successful competitors had to share some of their profits with everyone else.

I know I am in a minority. I like the yankees (behind the Astros and Rangers). I love the Yankee tradition and don't think they get near enough credit for their success. They do have an edge but they have an edge because they reap the benefits of a long time successful program that no one has come close to in any sport.

It's not like they are just lucky.

Jasperdog94
09-29-2005, 09:15 AM
I understand what you are saying. There are some owners more concerned about making a profit than putting a winning product on the field. That's where football is so great. With revenue sharing and salary caps, every team is in the same boat. Baseball should take notes.