PDA

View Full Version : Dist. 4-3A keeps hold on 3A poll

Phantom Stang
09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Dist. 4-3A keeps hold on 3A poll
By Brian Todd / Reporter-News Staff Writer
September 27, 2005

Despite a loss on Friday, Wylie High School still managed to hold a spot in the Class 3A Texas High School Football Top 10 poll released Monday.

The Bulldogs, who lost 30-20 at Graham, fell from seventh to 10th in the Class 3A poll.

The Big Country's two other teams in the Class 3A poll held their spots from last week. Sweetwater remains ranked No. 3 and Snyder held the No. 4 spot.

''I think it's neat for the community,'' said Tigers coach Chad Rogers. ''But it's not like we're trying to get a BCS bid.''

Rogers said that while polls may make great water cooler talk in towns like Snyder, Sweetwater and Abilene, the coaches and teams don't need the extra motivation for district games.

''When it comes time to play, I don't really think it matters where you're ranked,'' Rogers said.

What matters is playing tough opponents, staying healthy and getting better each week. In that respect, Rogers said, Snyder has been successful so far.

Rogers said that with the impending return of Class 3A All-Big Country free safety Garrett Pinson, the Tigers will have all 22 starters back healthy.

Next up on the schedule for Snyder is Class 4A Andrews High School, a perennial playoff team that will give the Tigers' defense a different look than they are used to seeing. The Mustangs run a one-back passing offense that spreads the ball around the field.

''Our defense has been our strong point this season,'' Rogers said. ''What we try to do with our pre-district schedule is give (our players) as many different looks that they can see.''

Rogers said that if his team can stay healthy, he hopes Snyder can enjoy success similar to what the Tigers enjoyed last year.

BMOC
09-27-2005, 07:33 PM
By what those three teams did last year in the playoffs, including Wylie coming home with a State Championship, and the way all three of them have started out this year, I honestly think that is the toughest district in the state.

gobbler grad
09-27-2005, 07:40 PM
none of them have tough schedules till they play each other...they each may have one tough game before district play, but that's about it...

lostaussie
09-27-2005, 07:49 PM
very good article. coach sounds like he knows what is important. enjoy while you can. got to come through east texas sometime.

Adidas410s
09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
none of them have tough schedules till they play each other...they each may have one tough game before district play, but that's about it...

with the exception of Greenwood you can say that about Snyder, the same goes for Sweetwater considering that Andrews is WAY down this year. Wylie on the other hand plays Decatur (4-0), Aledo (if you know anything about recent 3A/4A football...then I don't need to explain), and you can even throw in Graham, a team with a lot of talent that is in the 1st year of a 100% overhaul of their offense this year. Just because these schools actually win easily over most of their quality opponents, unlike...ahem...Cuero...ahem, doesn't mean that you have to hate on them! OK...now breathe in and out for 5 seconds and then start the berating to explain why Cuero is the best team to ever walk the face of the earth! :p :D :eek:

gobbler grad
09-27-2005, 09:42 PM
let me clear myself...I knew this was coming...OK, Wylie has the toughest of all, yes they play Decatur which is 3-1 , not 4-0, they lost to Gainsville... and Graham which has a 3-2 record...Aledo, for whatever reason is only 1-3 so far this year...I never said I hated anyone, just said their schedules dont' get tough till they play each other...as for Snyder and Sweetwater, they actually play nobody...I mean the teams they have played have a record of 6-25, so they aren't top 3A teams...throw Wylie in there and it gets better, opponents fair better at 14-32...I believe Cuero has played Wharton, which was prob in top 15 at the time and would have played a top 10 team Sinton, but we all know why that didn't happen , so we will never know...yeah, the rest of our schedule is fairly simple, but it depends on which team shows up...kinda like last week with Wylie...Wylie could play them 10 times and that would prob be the only game they would lose to Graham...outside of Pecos, Snyder and Sweetwater have identical schedules...is there no one else to play:confused: ...anyway , I never mentioned anything about Cuero...yes they are a great team, but that comes from great coaching and tradition...and yes , there are three great teams in in Dist. 4-3A , BUT WE SHALL WAIT TILL DECEMBER TO SEE WHO IS THE BEST!!!!:D
Now go outside and get a breath of fresh air and have a great day...:D :D :D :p

JMcGee
09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Cuero rocks they are the best.

mustang04
09-27-2005, 11:30 PM
let me clear myself...I knew this was coming...OK, Wylie has the toughest of all, yes they play Decatur which is 3-1 , not 4-0, they lost to Gainsville... and Graham which has a 3-2 record...Aledo, for whatever reason is only 1-3 so far this year...I never said I hated anyone, just said their schedules dont' get tough till they play each other...as for Snyder and Sweetwater, they actually play nobody...I mean the teams they have played have a record of 6-25, so they aren't top 3A teams...throw Wylie in there and it gets better, opponents fair better at 14-32...I believe Cuero has played Wharton, which was prob in top 15 at the time and would have played a top 10 team Sinton, but we all know why that didn't happen , so we will never know...yeah, the rest of our schedule is fairly simple, but it depends on which team shows up...kinda like last week with Wylie...Wylie could play them 10 times and that would prob be the only game they would lose to Graham...outside of Pecos, Snyder and Sweetwater have identical schedules...is there no one else to play:confused: ...anyway , I never mentioned anything about Cuero...yes they are a great team, but that comes from great coaching and tradition...and yes , there are three great teams in in Dist. 4-3A , BUT WE SHALL WAIT TILL DECEMBER TO SEE WHO IS THE BEST!!!!:D
Now go outside and get a breath of fresh air and have a great day...:D :D :D :p
i believe u misread something....even w/ their weak pre-district...that doesnt take away from how tough sweetwater, snyder and wylie are in district and in the playoffs

lostaussie
09-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
i believe u misread something....even w/ their weak pre-district...that doesnt take away from how tough sweetwater, snyder and wylie are in district and in the playoffs very good point. you can still be a dominate team that plays a weak schedule. we proved that last year. another thing, and i know lots of teams have the same problem, when you elevate your total package sometimes good competition is hard to find.

Ranger Mom
09-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
very good point. you can still be a dominate team that plays a weak schedule. we proved that last year. another thing, and i know lots of teams have the same problem, when you elevate your total package sometimes good competition is hard to find.

It sometimes can be hard to find out here in West Texas.....where towns and are few and far between.

Even with Greenwood being down this year, I hope Coach Taylor keeps our tough pre-district schedule. I think playing teams the caliber of Sweetwater, Abilene Wylie...and I will go ahead and say it...Snyder:p does us nothing but GOOD!!

Black_magic
09-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
very good point. you can still be a dominate team that plays a weak schedule. we proved that last year. another thing, and i know lots of teams have the same problem, when you elevate your total package sometimes good competition is hard to find. I think people miss the deal on the schedule. the fact that Greenwood , Andrews, Lakeview ect. have less than perfect records MAY have more to do with playing such strong teams and Less to do with them being weak. Many teams the "Big Three" play are good teams. Snyder Plays 3 4A teams and 3 play off 3A teams. hardly an easy schedule. Wylie Also plays a Very strong schedule. Sweetwater plays nearly the same people with exception to 2 of the 6 teams Snyder plays. I believe Snyder , Wylie , and Sweetwater are as good as just about any 4A teams in Region I and Could Beat At least Half of the 5A teams in West Texas. Abilene High, Amarillo High, And Midland Lee may be too much to handle for the Three. As far as the rest in the Two 5a Districts around Lubbock and Abilene, District 4-3A could hang in there.

MeanGreenMachine
09-28-2005, 09:57 AM
finally, some real football talk ;)

Phantom Stang
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Black_magic
I think people miss the deal on the schedule. the fact that Greenwood , Andrews, Lakeview ect. have less than perfect records MAY have more to do with playing such strong teams and Less to do with them being weak. Many teams the "Big Three" play are good teams. Snyder Plays 3 4A teams and 3 play off 3A teams. hardly an easy schedule. Wylie Also plays a Very strong schedule. Sweetwater plays nearly the same people with exception to 2 of the 6 teams Snyder plays. I believe Snyder , Wylie , and Sweetwater are as good as just about any 4A teams in Region I and Could Beat At least Half of the 5A teams in West Texas. Abilene High, Amarillo High, And Midland Lee may be too much to handle for the Three. As far as the rest in the Two 5a Districts around Lubbock and Abilene, District 4-3A could hang in there.
I agree with everythimg Black magic said there.:eek:

:confused:

Bullaholic
09-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I think 4-3A is, arguably, the strongest 3A District in the state. Now, if any of the "big 3" are individually the best teams in the state---we will know that in 6 weeks or so. IMO, Sweetwater is the only team that looks like they have the "horsepower" to win a state title in D2, based on their performance so far. No disrespect intended towards Snyder or Ab-Wylie---they are definitely good teams this year, and all of this is pure "speculation" at this point---but that is the fun of talking Texas High school football ain't it?

gobbler grad
09-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think 4-3A is, arguably, the strongest 3A District in the state. Now, if any of the "big 3" are individually the best teams in the state---we will know that in 6 weeks or so.

that's what I was saying...some people just jump to conclusions... :mad:

Bullaholic
09-28-2005, 11:44 AM
that's what I was saying...some people just jump to conclusions... :mad:

I've got to give you credit, Gobbler Grad---you did say that, first. But you know, I've got to confess that it makes for interesting reading when some of the "characters" on the board make outrageous posts concerning their teams(in general, no finger pointing)---it sure keeps the interest up, although sometimes carried too far. I guess I'm kind of like George C. Scott playing "Patton" when he was talking about war---"God, I love it so."

gobbler grad
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
I hope one day in the near future, prob around the middle of December the Cuero Gobblers will be playing one of these three teams for the State Championship ...:D

Black_magic
09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I hope one day in the near future, prob around the middle of December the Cuero Gobblers will be playing one of these three teams for the State Championship ...:D Could be. But Unless Wylie Tanks a game in district to Merkel or Clyde and also lose to Sweetwater and Snyder . They will be the DI Rep from our district. After Wylie, Snyder is the next largest in the district. BUT ya never know:rolleyes:

lostaussie
09-28-2005, 01:03 PM
schedule of strengh is very misleading at times. arguably, the 2 state champs from last year may have come from the stongest and weakest districts in the state.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I hope one day in the near future, prob around the middle of December the Cuero Gobblers will be playing one of these three teams for the State Championship ...:D

You did hate on My Vernon Lions as they played Wylie and although they got beat in that game they have a decent team.

They are however 2-3 and the three losses come by way of Wylie, Wichita Falls Old High (4A Power every year) -- which they almost beat and Altus Oklahoma (5A playoff team every year). They beat two 4A teams in Burkburnett and Springtown. Being down South I guess you don't know a lot about Vernon but believe me they field great athletes and have a tradition of winning. Wylie did a good job on Vernon and they beat us but that is not to say that the Lions are not good competition.

black & gold
09-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Doesn't Vernon have Clyde this week? Will this be a blowout or a decent game? I honestly don't know, just asking. Anyway, good luck to Wylie this week. Go 4-3A.

gobbler grad
09-28-2005, 05:33 PM
i'm not hating your Lions, I did say Wylie had the toughest of all schedules and I know Vernon has always had pretty good teams in the past...besides Graham and Decatur, yes they had the next best record...don't go say i'm hating your lions...and yes, I don't know much about your Lions, but I know they have been good in the past...

JMcGee
09-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I wish Sweetwater could play Cuero. Just to see if ya'll are this unstopable team like everyone thinks yall are this year.

gobbler grad
09-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by JMcGee
I wish Sweetwater could play Cuero. Just to see if ya'll are this unstopable team like everyone thinks yall are this year.

so do I...:D

Whsdogs
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
k and heres my 2 cents about pre season schedules....when coaches make these schedules they base them on previous years...previous years SA lakeview has been a playoff team, greenwoods a playoff team, vernon a play off team, aledo 4a playoff team and now we play decatur....how is that an easy preseason schedule?????? granite some teams did not play up to par or how we all thought they would play but that doesnt mean they scheduled easy teams cause these teams are not pushovers nor is any team...thats why its preseason and when it comes for district everythings starts 0-0..may the best team win...or if wylie is i sure hope they win anyways ;)

gobbler grad
09-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
k and heres my 2 cents about pre season schedules....when coaches make these schedules they base them on previous years...previous years SA lakeview has been a playoff team, greenwoods a playoff team, vernon a play off team, aledo 4a playoff team and now we play decatur....how is that an easy preseason schedule?????? granite some teams did not play up to par or how we all thought they would play but that doesnt mean they scheduled easy teams cause these teams are not pushovers nor is any team...thats why its preseason and when it comes for district everythings starts 0-0..may the best team win...or if wylie is i sure hope they win anyways ;)

I'm glad you cleared that up for me, I was losing sleep over it...:rolleyes:

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by black & gold
Doesn't Vernon have Clyde this week? Will this be a blowout or a decent game? I honestly don't know, just asking. Anyway, good luck to Wylie this week. Go 4-3A.

Vernon will do to Clyde what Wylie did to Vernon. :)

Whsdogs
09-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
ha hey no prob.;) :D

gobblerfan02
09-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Black_magic
I believe Snyder , Wylie , and Sweetwater are as good as just about any 4A teams in Region I and Could Beat At least Half of the 5A teams in West Texas.

To me, that's not saying too much!:D

mustang04
09-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
To me, that's not saying too much!:D
are u serious????
what about abilene high??? they just about beat southlake carol last year, but SLC was roided up...dont think west texas teams cant be good.....i mean....u have a ring on ur finger from last year to be able to talk mess????? i dont either tho:D

gobbler grad
09-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
are u serious????
what about abilene high??? they just about beat southlake carol last year, but SLC was roided up...

could you give definition of "roided"...:confused:

JMcGee
09-30-2005, 09:03 AM
could you give definition of "roided"...:confused:
They take what all baseball players take. Exept they always take it in the but

gobbler grad
09-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I get it...and totally agree with ya...