PDA

View Full Version : Steve Bartman Cub Fan will suffer Chicago's Wrath

mwisnews
10-16-2003, 02:31 AM
Steve Bartman was basically a partial cause for the Cubs downfall yesterday. Even though most of this goes on the blame of the Cubs choking, the media has targeted this one Cub fan. We found out that he is a 26 year old man who still lives with his parents. I understand if he was in college or coming home for the weekend, but I would never live with my parents if I were 26. I wouldn't want to live under their rules again. But, going on this guy going to suffer through hell probably for a long time. They probably can get his address and phone number off the internet. He's going be harassed and teased at work. Some people are going to probably throw stuff at him if he were walking on the street. I feel sorry for this guy, who was singled out by the media and now he's going live have a horrible life. I bet right now its eating at him inside of how he messed up a play. Hey, itt was the Cubs fault they lost, they choked. If I ever Steve Bartman I would change my name, move somewhere else that is no where near Chicago, get a disguise like wear contacts or bleach your hair or something. Just I hope this doesn't get too out of hand.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-16-2003, 08:32 AM
I heard they offered him asylum in Florida for free for 3 months.....i'd take it if I were him.

pirate4state
10-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Apparently some people already know where he lives. He did not go to work yesterday b/c there were people camped out outside his home. Losers! He had his phone off the hook & was scared to leave his house. People may never see him again!! eek! :rolleyes:

bulldogvet85
10-16-2003, 09:23 AM
well I actually heard on the news that he had got some phone threats and thats why he took his phone of the hook.

3afan
10-16-2003, 09:26 AM
thats sad ..... now i'm glad the cubs lost. but i'm happy for pudge ...

Bandera YaYa
10-16-2003, 10:12 AM
True, I watched the games and they had alot of opportunities to win....to blame one fan for their lose is absurd. Cub fans need to get a life and stop making that fan's life miserable.
Geeezzzzzzzz......what about all the other fans that had their hands out, too???? If I were him I'd get a T-shirt made that said.."I caught the ball!" :D

shellman54
10-16-2003, 10:35 AM
This whole situation has upset me to no end. For Cubs fans to blame the failure of a season upon one individual who, by the rules of Major league Baseball, did absolutly nothing wrong. The rules imply that any ball that crosses over the wall is as much the fans ball as it is the player. Even if he had not caught the ball, I highly doubt that Alou would have made the catch anyway, with the ball moving away from him, and his glove having to be turned up to get over the fence.

Now, did the young man cause Gonzalez to bumble the play at shortstop? did he cause the Cubs to give up 8 runs in the inning? Of course not, but Cubs fans are so wrapped up in the curse, and about how things never go their way have to find a scapegoat to lay all the blame of their complete meltdown over the last three games, and a poor man is having to take this on. I can only hope and pray that nothing happens to him.

underware
10-16-2003, 10:46 AM
I TOTALLY agree with YaYa and Shellman. This guy did nothing wrong. Look at the back of your baseball ticket sometime. At Minute Maid park, it says to be aware of fair and foul balls. Injuries may occur.

**on my soapbox** Like I'm going to stand around while a ball going over 200 mph heading straight for me. "Look, the player is going to make the catch. I think I'll stand right here and let the darned thing him me." I for one support the guy. **off my soapbox**

JasperDog94
10-16-2003, 11:46 AM
The only thing that I disagree with on these posts is that Alou could have easily made that catch. He was in perfect position and the ball was coming down right on the wall. Alou's glove was in perfect postion and he timed his jump just right. He would've caught the ball.

That said, I don't blame the fan. Unfortunately a few other people do. :rolleyes:

Bongo
10-16-2003, 11:50 AM
If you watch Moises Alou play left field during the season (especially true when he played outfield for the Astros) you would never think he had the energy to run to the stands to catch a foul ball.

Leave the fan alone.

JasperDog94
10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Bongo:
If you watch Moises Alou play left field during the season (especially true when he played outfield for the Astros) you would never think he had the energy to run to the stands to catch a foul ball.

Leave the fan alone.Did you see the play? If so, do you doubt that Alou could have made the catch? Just wondering...

AggieJohn
10-16-2003, 01:17 PM
it really wasn't bartman's fault...okay so alou catches the foul ball.....okay.....2 outs then...but the alex gonzalez was the one who let that rally happened he dropped a routine 6-3 play....he's the reason..or the fault

crzyjournalist03
10-16-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm not absolutely positive that Alou would have made the play...the picture on the front page of DMN shows Alou leaping in the air with his glove fully extended. The ball is falling so that it looks like Alou's only hope would be a snow cone catch, which is no guarantee.

Now about the fan, I'll bet the Marlins will offer to buy him World Series tickets and move him to Florida, and help him find a job down there. He may be the most popular person in Florida right now.