PDA

View Full Version : Green rushes Mustangs to homecoming victory (includes stats)

Phantom Stang
09-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Green rushes Mustangs to homecoming victory
By Brian Todd / Reporter-News Staff Writer
September 23, 2005

SWEETWATER — Slow and steady may win the race, but bursts of speed will win a football game.

The proof is the difference between Sweetwater High School’s Skye Green and Pecos’ Luis Ortega.

Green scored five touchdowns Friday, leading the Class 3A No. 3 Mustangs to a 52-14 win over the Eagles during a homecoming game that started out close then turned into a rout.

Starting on the Sweetwater side of the field — thanks to a pair of Mustang penalties on the opening kickoff and a 40-yard return by the Eagles’ Donnie Myles — Pecos drove 45 yards for the first score of the game mainly on the running of Ortega, who carried the ball seven times on the opening drive for 27 bruising yards.

The Eagles scored on a 9-yard pass from Eddie Vela to Javier Tercero to put Pecos up 6-0 after a missed extra point.

The drive served as a prelude of what was to come on the night from the Eagles — a whole lot of handing the ball to Ortega, who ended up punishing Sweetwater for 217 yards on 33 carries.

"Luis had a great game against us last year in Pecos as a sophomore," said Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson. "We knew he was a great back."

But the Mustangs had an answer to Ortega: Skye Green.

The junior speedster answered the Eagles’ opening touchdown with a 71-yard burst on the next drive to help even the score at 6.

In fact, Green scorched the Eagles’ defense for touchdown runs of 33 and 56 yards, as well as an 8-yard scamper later in the first quarter that put Sweetwater up 14-6 after a pass conversion.

After Green’s second score of the night, Ortega showed his own ability to burst for yards, running 58 yards down to the Mustangs’ 1-yard line. Vela snuck in, and an Ortega run for two points tied the game at 14 at the end of a quarter.

But a 49-yard run by Joseph Banyard followed by Green’s third touchdown of the night put Sweetwater up 28-14.

The Eagles tried to cut into that lead before the half, but a long drive ended when Pecos’ clock-chewing rushing offense was unable to conserve precious time, and the half ended with Pecos looking at the Sweetwater goal line but unable to put more points on the scoreboard.

Meanwhile, the Mustangs exploded for 21 third-quarter points coming off a Green dash sandwiched between Banyard runs of 53 and 10 yards.

After a first half where the kickers did not split the uprights, Sweetwater’s Parker Morrow was a perfect 3-for-3 on extra points and hit a 25-yard field goal in the fourth quarter to cap the scoring for the night.

But the Mustangs’ success all seemed to come back to Green, who rushed for 175 yards on just six carries. Green seemed to thrive on getting outside the Eagles’ defense and then turning on the jets.

"I’d wait patiently for my blockers to give me a hole and then kick in my speed," Green said.

For Jackson, the improvement from one half to the other showed that his team is learning to handle new challenges as District 4-3A play approaches.

"It’s important to us to keep improving our play each week and step up," Jackson said. "In the first half, the emotion was kind of low. In the second half we came out and played with that emotion."

Pecos 14 0 0 0—14
Sweetwater 14 14 21 3—28

Scoring Summary

First Quarter

P—Eddie Vela 9 pass to Javier Tercero, (kick failed)
S—Skye Green 71 run, (kick failed)
S—Green 8 run, (Pass from Sonny Birdwell)
P—Vela 1 run, (Luis Ortega run)

Second Quarter

S—Joseph Banyard 49 run, (kick failed)
S—Green 56 run, (Pass from Birdwell)

Third Quarter

S—Banyard 53 run, (Parker Morrow kick)
S—Green 33 run, (Morrow kick)
S—Banyard 10 run, (Morrow kick)

Fourth Quarter

S—Morrow 25 FG

P S

First Downs 12 12
Rushes-yards 47-239 32-416
Passing yards 28 82
Com-Att-Int 4-7-0 5-6-0
Punts-average 4-31 1-34
Fumbles-lost 2-0 1-0
Penalties-yards 3-20 9-55

INDIVIDUAL STATS

RUSHING—Pecos: Luis Ortega 13-217, Eddie Vela 10-20, Josh Payan 2-4. Sweetwater: Skye Green 6-175, Joseph Banyard 9-130, Sonny Birdwell 3-29.

PASSING—Pecos: Vela 4-7-0 28. Sweetwater: Birdwell 5-6-0 82.

RECEIVING—Pecos: Myles 1-5, Javier Tercero 1-9, Miguel Estrada 2-14. Sweetwater: Green 2-29, J.J. McCoy 1-11, Brittan Pittman 1-42.

© 1995-2005 The E.W. Scripps Co. and the Abilene Reporter-News.

Phantom Stang
09-26-2005, 11:38 AM
btfp

Phantom Stang
09-26-2005, 05:51 PM
once again ttt

sweetwater07
09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
thats what i like to see from my mustangs!!!!
GO MUSTANGS!!!