PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Damage

3ABirdMan
09-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Information from the Bridge City Police Department, NON-emergency number:

- Only 2" of rain - MUCH LESS THAN EXPECTED!
- NO STORM SURGE! Apparently, the winds were from the east, keeping Sabine Lake and the marshes at bay!
- LOTS of trees down.
- MOST roofs intact.
-MOST windows intact.

Looks like we dodged the bullet; however, another report from a friend of friends' friend (OK, I really don't know WHO it was) said that Orangefield and Mauriceville were torn up pretty bad. I ASSUME that means lots of downed trees, etc. maybe from a tornado?

IF you are regular on another board, and don't mind, please spread the word. My home, trianglefootball.net (BC CARDS) is down. Matt got this one up instead - they're hosted on the same server. I don't post too many other places, and would love to share this info, if I can!

Thanks for the help, chaingang. Look me up 11/4/05, and I'll buy you a Coke.:D

spiveyrat
09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Wow! That's surprising. But good news! Heard anything about Groves?

3ABirdMan
09-24-2005, 03:42 PM
I saw on the cable somewhere (actually HEARD) an interview with Port Arthur Mayor Oscar Ortiz that they were having trouble getting back in. If I remember correctly, they were setting up a command post in the Holiday Inn just south of Central Mall. That's all I've seen or heard.

turbostud
09-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
I saw on the cable somewhere (actually HEARD) an interview with Port Arthur Mayor Oscar Ortiz that they were having trouble getting back in. If I remember correctly, they were setting up a command post in the Holiday Inn just south of Central Mall. That's all I've seen or heard.

FoxNews just had Geraldo on in Port Authur and he said that he and his crew slept on the floor in a Holiday Inn in Port Authur. He said when the Hurricane winds shifted direction it blew out the doors to the hotel.

3ABirdMan
09-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Our local AM radio station, KOGT, has gotten their web site running - OK, it's one guy with a digital camera, a generator, and a phone line.:rolleyes:

You can check out some of the first pictures and comments coming out of Orange, West Orange, and Bridge City at

KOGT's web site (http://www.kogt.com) .

Thanks go out to Gary Stelly for his sacrifice and dedication. If you live in SETx, you've heard Gary on the KOGT web-casts of the area games, and read his columns in the local papers.

Thanks, Gary!

x21aaaplayer
09-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Ok so it seems reports are contradicting. Exactly how bad is it in bc? Or did orange take the brunt of the damage?

3ABirdMan
09-24-2005, 11:10 PM
The more we find out, the worse it seems. Except, I'm not hearing of any TOTAL destruction. LOTS of downed trees, messed up roofs and siding, trees on houses, but not Total destruction like Gulf Shores / Biloxi saw with Katrina.

One thing that has NOT been contradictory - NO-ONE has said we had storm surge - YEA!!!!!!! I've heard this afternoon the winds have turned from the South, and that is backing up water in the bayous and marshes - Could eventually cause some very lowland flooding. I heard Toup's Marina was under water, but heck, that gets wet with a heavy dew on a high tide!

My brother-in-law is going back early in the morning from here in LA. He is on a damge assessment team on Chemical Row, and has to return to work. He will be calling back more detailed info when he hits town. I will post what I can, as soon as I can.

chaingang
09-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Birdman, I dont think BC is as good as they think. I am going at about 5am to get in with my 2 friends. We are going to get in from hwy 12 in deweyville. I will bring my digi camera and will take tons of pictures. My dad will let us in. Ill try to get to every part of Orange County, but doubt it. Bman is there any particular place you want to know about?

Cat22
09-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey chaingang, I have heard very little about Orangefield. I live on 408 in the green house next to the post office in OF. There should be a purple ford ranger pickup parked in the drive. Any news would help.

3ABirdMan
09-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I have had a brother-in-law get into the BC area this morning. Forgive us for being selfish, but he only reported directly on our familys' homes. Here is the jest of the situation, as it has been relayed:

- EXTENSIVE tree damage. Hundreds of trees down, in all areas, and hundreds snapped off above the ground. They reported one area in Orangefield where approximately 1 acre of trees were ALL snapped off at the same height.
- Texas Ave - very heavy roof/glass destruction. Roof off of Blockbuster/Hebert's CPA/old Subway - the Dairy Queen was "...messed up! It's not even red anymore!"....
-West Roundbunch is down to one lane (from 5) because of trees and light poles. East Roundbunch (towards Chemical Row) was impassable due to light poles leaning over / laying in road.
- POWER LINES ARE DOWN EVERYWHERE! They said they weren't sure there were ANY still up at normal height. They had most of the roads blocked where you couldn't even drive under them! Thank GOD the power is off :eek: !

They checked on 8 homes, from just south of 105 on 1442 (around Beverly Dr), to just off of Texas ave (Sonic / Pizza Hut area). Of the 8 - Only one family member had severe damage, and only 1 other had major damage - Both from fallen trees/limbs. Almost ALL were missing some shingles, some were missing eave and soffit trim and flashing, etc., but no other severe damage, and NO water damage from rain or flooding. There is still quite a bit of standing water, though. I can only hope that everyone elses' families faired as well! They did report a lot homes damaged - all from fallen trees and limbs. They did say it was really weird - all of the fallen trees were facing Port Arthur (west), in the same direction! That means the wind, while being very destructive from East to West, kept the marshes and Sabine Lake at bay!

IF YOU ARE FROM BC AND READ THIS - Officials have reported some very early looting, but that has reportedly been cleaned up. Because of that, no-one is being allowed back into town (my family apparently got there early enough this morning to slip in undetected - when they were found, they were "asked" :eek: to leave!), so DON"T TRY TO GO HOME YET! All of the roads to get back into town are blocked off now by police / sherriff / DPS personel. No-one is as anxious as I am, but if we let the emergency response people do their job without getting in their way, they will get done A LOT faster!

3ABirdMan
09-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Cat22
..... I live on 408 in the green house next to the post office in OF.....

CAT 22 - I know the house well - I pass by there all the time, as I live off of 408 in Quail Valley....

My family is on the way back, and out of touch. When I get to talk to them, I will ask if they remember anything, or if they even went that way. I will reply when I get info, even if it is "no info".

Cat22
09-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks birdfan, I just found out that my house is ok. Trees fell all around, but none on the house. How is your house?

Brooke
09-26-2005, 08:31 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about Orange and Orangefield? We have heard many things about what Rita has done but havent really got to see the damadage. You can go tto KOGT.com to see pict of what is going on. We heard this morning that our house is some what ok. If you lnow anything more about anythign please let me know.:p

chaingang
09-26-2005, 12:31 PM
I got in yesterday, it doesnt look like Orange County! read my current topic. I saw some things that I couldnt fathom. They are letting people in now but THERE IS NOTHING THERE!!! IF YOU DONOT HAVE A GENERATOR AND 500 GALLONS OF WATER DONT GO! Oh and no GAS! Lafayette is the closest!!!!