PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how people don't listen...

18handicap
09-24-2005, 01:00 PM
...and now we wonder why our education system is like it is today!

All morning, I have watched and heard the President, governor, Harris County judge, mayor of Houston plead with people to stay put and wait a little longer before coming back home. Has this worked?? I don't think so....

Channel 26 in Houston just showed a major bottleneck at SH 71 merge with I-10 just west of Columbus where both highways merge on the east bound side. I also went into town a few minutes ago, and SH71 eastbound toward Houston is as busy or more than it was the last 3 days going toward Austin. This congestion is just going to slow down the emergency response times of those trying to help the damaged areas.

These must be the same people who don't listen to the coaches and teachers either and neither do their kids.

Before you bash me, I still have a nice house in West Columbia and parents in Sugar Land, but I will wait until officially announced to go to those area to check for damage to my properties.

LH Panther Mom
09-24-2005, 01:03 PM
I agree with you 100%, 18.

jason
09-24-2005, 01:19 PM
yeah, its sad how things are sometimes put right in front of somebody and yet they completely ignore the facts, even when their peers are telling them to look at things objectively, and they still ignore them - stubbornness can be a s.o.b..., especially for people headed back down south too early...

SintonFan
09-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by jason
yeah, its sad how things are sometimes put right in front of somebody and yet they completely ignore the facts, even when their peers are telling them to look at things objectively, and they still ignore them - stubbornness can be a s.o.b..., especially for people headed back down south too early...
What does this have to do with what was meant by this thread?:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-25-2005, 08:28 AM
If they've heard the president, governer, mayor etc... say these things then this is an understandable arguement...

But I'm pretty sure that a lot of these people really weren't paying attention to the news too much... they saw that Houston didn't get the big damage so they were already headed this way...

To be honest with you, the minute we realized it wasn't hitting us, we just stopped paying attention...

jason
09-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
What does this have to do with what was meant by this thread?:rolleyes: it has everything to do with it - city officials told them NOT TO GO BACK, yet people ignoring them...

these will be the people that go back, somehow get into trouble or stranded, and then will complain because there is no kind of emergency help to rescue them...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

highschool fan
09-25-2005, 09:10 AM
how many times have we been told not to do something and we still do it?? it's the same thing with the people who are trying to go back home. these people are not dumb, they have a difficult decision to make. it may not be the same choice that some people make, but that still doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. comparing this to listening to teachers or coaches, or saying that their kids don't either, is the most absurd thing i've heard in 36 years.

jason
09-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by highschool fan
how many times have we been told not to do something and we still do it?? it's the same thing with the people who are trying to go back home. these people are not dumb, they have a difficult decision to make. it may not be the same choice that some people make, but that still doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. comparing this to listening to teachers or coaches, or saying that their kids don't either, is the most absurd thing i've heard in 36 years. i agree but there are some exceptions....

most people who are told not to do something, yet do it anyways, are not making (potential) life threatening decisions...
the people going back down south very well could be...
the people going back, against public authority orders, are going to check on their personal belongings...whether or not their things are there and perfectly fine or all of the things are destroyed, they will still be that way in a few days when officials say its ok to head back...

highschool fan
09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
i agree but there are some exceptions....

most people who are told not to do something, yet do it anyways, are not making (potential) life threatening decisions...

how many times have we heard that smoking causes cancer, or to not drink and drive?? people make life threatening decisions everyday. this is no different.

jason
09-25-2005, 09:40 AM
how many times have we heard that smoking causes cancer, or to not drink and drive?? people make life threatening decisions everyday. this is no different. true...

the only argument that might be made is that those things are long term and take a long while to have affect on somebody (mainly the smoking)...

the hurricane, however, could have an immediate impact if somebody were to get hurt, lost, etc...the people affected by the hurricane, for most of them, its a very rare thing...i think they should just wait a few days until things are ok to head back into, if they choose to ignore those orders, then they go at their own risk...

highschool fan
09-25-2005, 09:43 AM
if they choose to ignore those orders, then they go at their own risk...

woohoo, we finally agree on something.

jason
09-25-2005, 09:44 AM
woohoo, we finally agree on something. ahh geez...somebody better check hell for frozen ice.....

Ranger Mom
09-25-2005, 09:46 AM
I am torn on this. I have read all the "arguments" and can see both sides of the story.

I have no clue what I would do in a situation like this. I think it's easy to sit here and say I would do what I was told when I was told to......but I think your mindset changes when you have been through what these people are going through.

Case in point, I have a friend who has a friend who lives in Katy. She and her daughter evacuated with no where to go. She has been sitting at a rest area somewhere all this time. She had a cooler full of food, and was just glad to have a restroom available.

She is trying (and may be there now) to get back home. She has lived in Katy 3 weeks, just moved to Texas for a job, she has a small rented house, where she locked up her two Collies and a cat before she left. She knows what "animal" mess she is coming home too. But what scares her more than anything is, everything she owns is in that house. She has no clue what type of law enforcement is around, if anything is being protected, if alot of people evacuated.....she knows nothing.

I can't blame her, I would be frantic to get back home too!!

Bandera YaYa
09-25-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree that people should heed the warnings from the officials....for their own safety and to allow agencies to do what they think needs to be done...that said, I can't imagine how hard it would be not to return, if you're capable to do so.....let's not judge those that have been put into that position....most of us on here thankfully were not put into that position and I think we should support in any way, the ones that were.....after all they have been thru, they certainly don't need anyone putting some kind of guilt trip on them.....I just say God Bless and good luck.........

Rabbit'93
09-25-2005, 12:42 PM
frozen ice..... :confused: :p ;)