PDA

View Full Version : Gas situation

turbostud
09-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I am leaving Sun for San Antonio and then on to the Dallas area Mon evening. What is the gas situation between S.A. and Dallas on I35? I should be fine up to S.A. its after that I am worried about. Any info would be appreciated.

LH Panther Mom
09-24-2005, 11:03 AM
The Austin American-Statesman has an article about the situation around here.

Gas supplies tighten
Stations running short; grocers rush to keep shelves filled.

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, September 24, 2005

On a normal day, the Exxon station on East Riverside Drive sells 3,000 gallons of gas. On Friday, it was pumping as much as 1,000 gallons an hour, and struggling to keep up with demand.

Across the city, gas stations were swamped by customers including coastal-area residents who had fled Hurricane Rita and locals who kept filling up, concerned about sharp price increases if Hurricane Rita knocks out oil refineries.

Some stations ran out of some grades, some out of all gas, and the shortages could continue this weekend.

"We are out of our normal supply purchasing pattern," said Ben Sebree, vice president of governmental affairs for the Texas Oil and Gas Association.

The Corpus Christi refinery that supplies 90 percent of the gas sold in Austin was operating as usual. But distributors were having a hard time keeping up with the higher demand.

"It goes back to Hurricane Katrina: We had supply disruptions there. . . . We were fragile to begin with," said Patty Delaney, a spokeswoman for Exxon Mobil Corp. "And until we can get that supply back to normal capacity, we are going to see occasional outages."

Delaney said Exxon has added extra deliveries to stations to minimize shortages.

The Diamond Shamrock on Brodie Lane temporarily ran out of regular unleaded Thursday night and began selling its next higher grade at the same price. Diamond Shamrocks on South Congress Avenue and West William Cannon Drive ran out of gasoline with no word Friday on when they would get more.

Area grocery stores continue to be swarmed by customers buying bottled water, bread and other staples.

Albertson's Inc. has been sending trucks to its nine area stores several times a day, up from the usual single delivery, said public affairs director Danielle Killpack.

Things got a little tense Thursday night at some grocery stores in Round Rock, when evacuees, weary from hours of travel on congested highways, couldn't find basic items. Police responded to multiple calls about disturbances but made no arrests.

The Wal-Mart Supercenter on South Interstate 35 ran out of eggs Friday afternoon but was getting more.

Eddie Peeples and his family drove to Round Rock's Hampton Inn from Pearland. Their motel is near Wal-Mart, which ran out of water Thursday.

The family stocked up on groceries, including water, there Friday.

"It seems like people here were preparing for the hurricane as well," Peeples said.

H.E. Butt Grocery Co. sent trucks loaded with more inventory than usual to its Austin-area stores Thursday night and Friday morning, spokeswoman Leslie Lockett said.

Even so, the North Lamar Central Market has sold out of water by the evenings, general manager Kevin Blessing said.

Earlier in the week, customers were stocking up on canned goods. By Thursday evening, as the severe weather threat to Austin dissipated, they were buying more fresh meat and prepared foods, he said.

"They are holding their breath and saying, 'We have 10 family members sitting in their house; we will be there for the next four days; let's enjoy it,' " Blessing said. "They are buying water and wine."

cgrisales@statesman.com; 912-5933. rrayasam@statesman.com; 912-2942; cwheeler@statesman.com; 246-0008

Story link (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/business/stories/09/24ritagas.html)

turbostud
09-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you. I guess I will bring some extra gas with me.

Texas3AFootballFan
09-24-2005, 12:48 PM
hmm maybe if u run out of gas and pull over on the side of the road and pop ur hood..maybe just maybe ull get free gas;)

turbostud
09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Texas3AFootballFan
hmm maybe if u run out of gas and pull over on the side of the road and pop ur hood..maybe just maybe ull get free gas;)

And risk getting sunburn? No way. I burn to easy. :cool:

Texas3AFootballFan
09-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
And risk getting sunburn? No way. I burn to easy. :cool:
hey if it saves u 60 dollars then hey..go for it:D