PDA

View Full Version : Steve Worster

trojandad
09-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Am watching the 69 Texas-Arkansas game, Worster was the first football hero I remember having. I read bios on him that he played one year of Canadian ball after college, and now he's happy in sales, but I never heard what happened in between. Anybody know more than me about what happened to him? One always hears the rumors of self destruction, but maybe with all the BC people here some truth can emerge.

BH_146
09-12-2003, 12:46 PM
This is a case of not living up to other people's expectations. Thus, many have chosen to label Steve accordingly. Sometimes, the path others choose for you may not be the best. Steve, I believe, had a brief stint with the Rams before realizing the NFL was not for him (or vise-versa). He has had a successful life living in the Orange County area. Unless you talk with him, almost everything else will be a mix of fact with fiction.

exbccards76'smom
09-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Steve is living the quiet life on Cow Bayou. He lives next door to a relative of mine. wink

JasperDog94
09-12-2003, 09:13 PM
I watched that game a couple of weeks ago. I'd never seen it before. Man, what a game!

BIGRED001
09-12-2003, 09:58 PM
trojandad:
Am watching the 69 Texas-Arkansas game, Worster was the first football hero I remember having. I read bios on him that he played one year of Canadian ball after college, and now he's happy in sales, but I never heard what happened in between. Anybody know more than me about what happened to him? One always hears the rumors of self destruction, but maybe with all the BC people here some truth can emerge.I was raised in Bridge City, played ball there, and am a huge fan of Steve Worster. I got to meet him only once at a football banquet we had, in which he received a standing ovation for his efforts when he was a Cardinal. Old Card may know what actually happened. When I was a child I was always told that he had gotten into trouble with drugs. However, I don't know that to be the case. I do know this, that Steve Worster was 4th in the running for the Heisman when he played for Texas. The '66 Cardinals won the State Championship. I was told by the "old timers" of Bridge City that Bear Bryant landed his helicopter in Bridge City to scout Steve during his senior year. He ran for over 5,000 yards in his career at B.C. Some of the records in Texas rushing he still is in the top 5 on some. I just wish someone had a copy of the 1966 Championship game.........somebody could sure make alot of money in Bridge City with that.....lol

ALLSPORTSGUY
09-13-2003, 08:19 AM
BIGRED, they have a copy of that game on vhs my son and some other football players watched it last year the night before the Jasper game.

Old Cardinal
09-13-2003, 03:46 PM
I have known Stephen Worster(Steve Wooster) since he was a kid. I was Coaching Babe Ruth Baseball, 13-15 year olds, and Steve was the Catcher for George Hyland's Redskins team. He was a big friendly 15 year old...I was just 20 years of age at that time. Mr. R.B. Worster, would not let the Coaches use Stephen on the HS team when he was a 9th grader, he wanted him to play with this own age group....Today, Steve is an Industrial Salesman and use to call on me at the Plant where I worked, before retiring. He lives down on the bayou off East Roundbunch Road. Steve is divorced, lives a quite life and is just a great guy. I saw him with a pretty date at a Restaurant in Orange on 16th Street; two days later he was inducted into the Hall of Fame.. At 57, or so, he is in good shape, but you don't see him at a lot of ballgames....The old story that I was told, by people that I believed, was that Steve and several other new contract Canadian football players, had rented a big home and were having a big party one night...The next morning, police showed up and asked to search the place. They walked straight to one of the bathrooms lifted the commoded lid and there was "wacky tobaccy" ducktaped in a package, to the bottom side of the commoded lid. Anyway, he came back to Texas!....I really think that Steve wanted to go the baseball route, instead of football; but his great skills demanded that he play in the backfield. As a Catcher he was quite outstanding....Steve was the best HS football player that I have ever witnessed, bar none!. One time H. W. "Chief" Wilson, ask Wooster to quick kick, to my knowledge that was the only time he ever kicked in a ball game. The quick kick WENT 76 YARDS!... He is just a guy that seeks no publicity and wants to live it out, down on Cow Bayou..

BIGRED001
09-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Glad you cleared it up. I know Steve is legendary in Bridge City and in the Golden Triangle, and still the mark of excellence to emulate as a running back. It's ashame that this had to happen to the guy.

trojandad
09-14-2003, 01:53 AM
It was just the way he seemed to drop off the face of the earth after the last Notre Dame game. I mean he gets drafted, goes to Canada then I never heard about him until after kids, divorce, etc.

Very cryptic scenario though. YEARS ago when I attended a Pete Maravich basketball clinic that his Dad Press was running, the subject of how great Steve was came up during a water/fruit break (they always stuffed fruit down you with water, Pete was a health nut along that time). Anyway Pete made it that day to the practice and was walking by when everybody was talking about why Steve disappeared and Pete said very offhandedly "Don't you know, he's eat up with drugs". Then he said "Of course, I'm supposed to be eaten up with alcohol, too, but a lot they know".

In later years I thought those to be a strange sentences since it turned out Pete was having a problem with alcohol during that time, a VERY bad problem with it. I always wondered what he knew or didn't know. I had just put it in the back of my mind as some offhanded statement.

I always thought it was just incredible that a guy who had never lost a game all thru any level of competition couldn't play afterward. Ted Koy competed well for the Giants as did Bertelson for the Rams, I knew Worster was the more talented of those three. One of those great mysteries.