PDA

View Full Version : Hutto 44, Rockdale 13

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2005, 11:27 PM
nm

ILS1
09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
By David King

The Hutto Hippos opened district play with a win Thursday, slamming the Rockdale Tigers 44-13 in a game rescheduled because of Hurricane Rita.

The Hippos and Tigers were scheduled to play tonight but moved the game up a day in preparation for what was forecast to be a potentially soggy night. The day-early game did not catch the Hippos off guard.
Rockdale took possession on the opening kickoff inside its own 10-yard line and quickly completed a pass to the 21, but the series stalled after Tiger quarterback D.J. Marek was sacked to set up fourth-and-19. It turned ugly after the snap on the punt was mishandled, setting up Hutto's first drive at the Rockdale 2-yard line.

On the Hippos' first play on offense, running back Jerrick Gautier carried the ball in for the score. The PAT by Jose Diaz gave Hutto a 7-0 lead less than three minutes into the game.

Rockdale turned to running back Steven Garza, as it would most of the night, but despite picking up 10 yards on the ground and another four on a pass completion, the Tigers were again forced to punt. Hutto got the ball back at its own 41-yard line and quickly found the end zone again. Quarterback Jeremy Kerley and running back Garrett Beshears each had six-yard runs to pick up a Hutto first down. Gauthier picked up the Hippos' second first down on an 11-yard run.

Two plays later, Kerley completed a 13-yard pass to tight end Kyle Knapp to the 24-yard line. Gauthier gained 11 yards on his next carry, and, after Beshears ran for six yards, Gauthier again got the call, running left and diving for the end zone.

A two-point conversion attempt failed but Hutto had a 13-0 lead with 4:25 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers moved into Hippo territory on their next possession, but turned the ball over on downs at the 36-yard line.

Hutto was forced to punt but quickly got the ball back when James Taylor recovered a Tiger fumble on second-and-two. Two plays later the Hippos coughed up the ball and Rockdale recovered at its own 20-yard line.

The Tigers drove into Hippo territory, but fumbled trying to convert on fourth-and-two. Gauthier recovered at the Hutto 45-yard line.

After driving to the Rockdale 33, the Hippos turned the ball over on downs. Rockdale was forced to punt and got a long roll to the Hutto 13-yard line.

Kerley gained it all back, keeping the ball and finding the right side line and outrunning most of the Rockdale defense for 61 yards.

Shiloh Wampler picked up a first down at the Tiger 2-yard line and then Beshears got the score. Kerley pitched to Gauthier for the two-point conversion, giving Hutto a 21-0 lead with less than three minutes to go in the half.

The Hippos weren't finished, though.

Hutto's Justin Ledbetter broke up two Tiger passes before a nine-yard completion set up fourth-and-inches for Rockdale. Marek got the first down on a keeper, but on the next play dropped back to pass, was forced to scramble and fumbled. Josh Wilson recovered the ball for the Hippos at Rockdale's 20-yard line. Kerley threw a pass to Gauthier for the score, and Diaz added the PAT to give Hutto a 28-0 lead at the half.

Hutto appeared to be heading for another score on the opening drive of the second half, driving from its own 26-yard line before stalling at the Rockdale one and turning the ball over on downs. The Hutto defense finished the job, tackling Marek in the end zone for a safety and a 30-0 lead.

The Tigers scored next, picking off a pass deep in Hutto territory to set up first and goal at the Hippo 5-yard line. One play later Rockdale was on the scoreboard. The two-point conversion attempt failed.

Leading 30-6, the Hippos quickly found their way back to the end zone. Wampler picked up a pair of first downs running the ball and then sophomore quarterback Garrett Carey, who came in for an injured Kerley in the second half, found Ryan Dominguez on a 23-yard touchdown pass. The PAT gave Hutto a 37-6 lead with 4:38 to play in the third quarter.

Hutto's final score of the game came on a six-yard touchdown run by Gauthier. Diaz's PAT gave the Hippos a 44-6 lead early in the fourth quarter.

With just over a minute left in the game, Rockdale scored on a 21-yard touchdown pass. The PAT made the final score 44-13.

Hutto travels to Manor next week.

Hutto/Rockdale Game Story (www.thehuttonews.com/articles/2005/09/23/sports/news02.txt)

Rhs_#10
09-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Not To Be Bragin But I Had 140 Yards on 25 Carries....Kortlin White!

Old Tiger
09-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Rhs_#10
Not To Be Bragin But I Had 140 Yards on 25 Carries....Kortlin White! You failed to mention the 2 fumbles you had leading to Hippo scoring drives ;)

Rockdale80
09-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Not To Be Bragin But I Had 140 Yards on 25 Carries....Kortlin White!

That mentality is the wrong one to have. What YOU do individually means nothing if your TEAM doesnt perform as one.

Rhs_#10
09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I know that i was just sayin and to correct the 2 fumbles i was down on one of the fumbles and on that first fumble when hutto got it back defense forced fumble on them so they did not score on that drive the other fumble was all me and im just sayin stats but yall can take however yall want!

Rhs_#10
09-24-2005, 11:24 AM
And I Dont Here No One Talkin About THe QB Fumble and the other RB fumble so it goes both ways!

Rhs_#10
09-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Also what about the Saftey we had and slow snap on punt which the punter got sacked on the 1 and hutto scored on the next drive?

tx defensive end
09-24-2005, 02:49 PM
It's a team sport guys, let's come together and make it that way.

Old Tiger
09-24-2005, 07:29 PM
yup

Rhs_#10
09-24-2005, 09:26 PM
If Anybody got offended by that post then im sorry wasnt intended to go that way but they took it the wrong way!

Rockdale80
09-26-2005, 04:50 PM
And I Dont Here No One Talkin About THe QB Fumble and the other RB fumble so it goes both ways!

Instead of all the finger pointing lets get it together and you guys play as a team.

To all of you Tigers I have a statistic for you, and I hope you sit back in your chair and look at it long and hard. Maybe even think about what you can do to change it, and better help the TEAM instead of YOUR personal statistics....

0-4

Now reflect on it.

I dont mean to make anyone mad. But I do hope that you understand that by playing as individuals the team cannot accomplish anything. So lets get after it guys, and good luck to you.

Waterhorse
09-26-2005, 06:48 PM
All teams should keep that in mind
good post