PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/Newton counties told to evacuate

spiveyrat
09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
This now includes ALL of the counties, not just the southern half.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=662336&CategoryID=17009&on=1

Residents of Jasper and Newton Counties Told To Leave

09/22/05
By Mike Lout
Email this story to a friend

Jasper County Judge Joe Folk has called for a mandatory evacuation of the residents living in all of Jasper County. County Emergency Management Director Billy Ted Smith said the decision to take the step was made shortly before 8:00 am after reviewing the predictions for flood waters and high winds in the region, especially the low lying areas adjacent to the Neches River in the south end of the County.

Newton County Judge Truman Dougharty also signed a similar measure Thursday morning, telling the residents of the Newton County area to leave. Buses are available at the Newton County Fairgrounds for those needing assistance.

Residents of Jasper County should leave the area and continue to travel north on Highway 96 and residents of south Newton County should leave and travel north on Highway 87.

At the present time no shelters have been opened here in north Jasper County and officials seem to be preserving those facilities for needs that might come up later on.

===========================================

I've never seen the call for a county this far inland to be evacuated! :eek:

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I hope everyone makes it out and to their destination safely.

gobbler grad
09-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I just hope these people know where there going before they leave...

spiveyrat
09-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I hope everyone makes it out and to their destination safely.

Getting there is the battle. It has taken one of my sister-in-laws all morning to get from Beaumont to Woodville and it's taken about the same amount of time to get my other sister-in-law from Beaumont to Jasper. Both are 1 to 1 1/2 hr drives normally. At least they're not on I-45!

SintonFan
09-22-2005, 06:53 PM
If Houston wasn't such a mess I'd say head south. The traffic on 77 around Corpus Christi is heavy but definately not going slower than 55.
I pray all you in the golden triangle area a safe passage to your destinations. God Bless all of you.