PDA

View Full Version : WO-S's Beasley: Once a Mustang, Always a Mustang

WOS92
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
WEST ORANGE - It was good for everyone to get acquainted with old friends at football practice Monday and Tuesday at West Orange-Stark.

For many, it has been almost two and a half weeks since they've seen each other.

Now, the second-ranked Mustangs are back together as they'll try to stay perfect on the season by welcoming Anahuac at 4 p.m. Friday at Mustang Stadium to open up District 24-3A play.

Mustang senior quarterback Kenneth Beasley did more than just a little bit of traveling. The senior leader, who will hone his talents at The University of Texas next season, spent nights at such places as Longview, Texarkana and Houston. He even had a chance to go to the Texas-Oklahoma game in Dallas as the Longhorns blistered the Sooners 45-12.

”It was a long grind but I got to see a lot of Texas and the Texas win over Oklahoma was definitely sweet,“ Beasley said. ”It was so tough whether or not we had a season left to come home too. The most important thing was worrying about whether or not you had a home to come back too. There was a lot of anxious moments on the ride home. We're just thankful to have a livable home. Some people aren't as fortunate.“

Beasley and his teammates are extremely happy about the continuation of District 24-3A. Several had chances to play and go to school elsewhere during the long break but they were going to have none of it.

”I got a few calls, but I'm a Mustang and will always be a Mustang,“ said Beasley. ”It never crossed my mind to play somewhere else whether a school was 4-0 or 1-4. If this was going to be it, it was going to be it. We love the chance we're getting. We're 4-0 and ranked No. 2 and we want to just keep getting better.“

The first couple practices have been smooth thus far.

”The last two days may be the best two practice days we've had all year,“ Beasley said. ”I'm sure it has to do with everybody being so anxious to get back. Everyone is getting back in the groove. We knew we were going to have a week off after the Newton game with the bye, we just had a little extra time, that's all.“

Mustang head coach Dan Hooks likes the early practice process.

”We looked pretty sharp Monday and today we've looked a little dead-legged at times,“ said Hooks. ”We've had a good turnout and school starts back tomorrow so everything will be getting back to being a little bit more normal. We'll be ready Friday afternoon.“

The Mustangs had a grueling non-district schedule but got through it in fine fashion, knocking off Jasper, Nederland, Bay City and Beaumont Central. Anahuac might have a slight advantage over the Mustangs as the Panthers started practice last week and even had a game against the Alvin JV last Friday.

”They've (Anahuac) have a few more practices under their belt and a game,“ said Beasley. ”But, they played a JV team last week. We feel like we've got the advantage because they haven't played teams like we've played before district. After each one of those wins, you could just see our confidence grow. I know we have a four-game streak going but after this long break, we feel like we're ready to start another one.“

The Mustangs have been pumping out 310 yards a game thus far. Beasley has completed 30-of-59 passes for 561 yards and six touchdowns. He has also rushed for 301 yards and five TDs.

Tailback Earl Thomas leads the ground game with 310 yards on 57 carries and has three TDs.

Receivers Jacoby Franks, Ladarius White and Jarrod Lewis have teamed up for 25 catches for 547 yards and six TDs.

The Panthers (2-2) have shown that they can get it done on offense but they've struggled on defense. In their first three games they were outscored 101-38.

Quarterback Casey Hedges, who was all-district last year, is back to guide the offense. Tailback Kelby Shandy-Kirby returns to head up the backfield.

”Anahuac has some excellent skill people,“ said Hooks. ”Hedges is an outstanding athlete and is just a hard-nosed football player. Their little tailback is good and they have a couple dangerous receivers.“

It's not like starting over from scratch totally but Hooks is cautious.

”It's sorta like playing the first game of the year,“ Hooks said. ”You worry about penalties and turnovers. If we can control those two things, we'll be in pretty good business.“

WOS92
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Season or no season, he wasn't going anywhere. I love that guy.

wos fan1
10-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Good news is we have just about all of our players back. These kids are hungry. Also everyone passed grades.

Hupernikomen
10-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Easy to see why Beasley is sought after by the Horns. Sounds like the kind of player any team would be proud to have.

Ranger Mom
10-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Glad things are getting somewhat back to normal and your team is "together" again...in more ways than one!

Good Luck!!

spiveyrat
10-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Another article (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15380225&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6)