PDA

View Full Version : lessons of football

smustangs
10-13-2005, 12:38 AM
In six years of football I have learned so much. How to trust, how to fight, how to believe…and most importantly, how to love. The love that one acquires for the men around him on the football field can only be understood by those who have been there. The struggles that we go through as a team impact us in a way that we cannot understand until we see the end. In spite of the warnings we receive from those around us that have gone through these struggles in former years, we take advantage of the precious time that we have been blessed with to enjoy football. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to be on the sideline three times so far in my life while my team’s season comes to an end in a tragic loss. I’ve been blessed three times to see upfront the impact this loss has on a person when he steps off the field for the last time. I’ve sat in a locker room and watched as players who love the game so much realize that they are about to take off their pads for the very last time and just cannot bring themselves to do it. People in the stands who have never played the game do not realize how much playing this sport can change a man. They do not understand the amazing bond that is created between the players. We, as players, start out trying to excel for ourselves. We think about how amazing we can be by on our own. Then we learn that we have to trust the man beside us and that the job can never be done with less that eleven. Finally, in the heat of battle, we learn that not only do we have to trust the man beside us, but that we must love him. Because, in the heat of battle all we have is all we’ve got. Nobody else can help us except for the people on the field. Not the “experts” who rank us according to their own knowledge of the game, not the parents who know exactly what to do in all situations, not the cheerleaders, or the fans. Eleven people have to decide that nothing will keep them from victory. I believe that willpower has incredible strength. Eleven people that believe wholeheartedly that they will win a game can never be beaten. To win in this game there is no room for fear. It is said that soldiers going into war fight for their country, for their beliefs, and for their own lives. Then, when they leave the battle field, they leave having fought for the man next to them. In football it is impossible to be perfect in the most literal sense of the word. It is, in fact, very possible to have perfect love. Perfect love is being able to look the man beside you in the eye and, with all your heart, tell him that you did all you could possibly do to help the team win the game. When the season is over and the seniors hang up there pads for the last time, it is sometimes said by those who haven’t had this experience that the kids got a lot of great memories and that is all. This is very far from the truth. After devoting so much time to this sport a man acquires much more than memories. He learns that it is possible to love another man. He learns that a group of people that have no blood relation can become a family. He learns how to trust and how to fight for those that he loves. He learns discipline, pride, selflessness, and honor. In all, one who takes these lessons to heart becomes a better man.

-anonymous

smustangs
10-13-2005, 12:38 AM
i dont no bout yall but that bout says it as good as it can be said

AggieJohn
10-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
In six years of football I have learned so much. How to trust, how to fight, how to believe…and most importantly, how to love. The love that one acquires for the men around him on the football field can only be understood by those who have been there. The struggles that we go through as a team impact us in a way that we cannot understand until we see the end. In spite of the warnings we receive from those around us that have gone through these struggles in former years, we take advantage of the precious time that we have been blessed with to enjoy football. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to be on the sideline three times so far in my life while my team’s season comes to an end in a tragic loss. I’ve been blessed three times to see upfront the impact this loss has on a person when he steps off the field for the last time. I’ve sat in a locker room and watched as players who love the game so much realize that they are about to take off their pads for the very last time and just cannot bring themselves to do it. People in the stands who have never played the game do not realize how much playing this sport can change a man. They do not understand the amazing bond that is created between the players. We, as players, start out trying to excel for ourselves. We think about how amazing we can be by on our own. Then we learn that we have to trust the man beside us and that the job can never be done with less that eleven. Finally, in the heat of battle, we learn that not only do we have to trust the man beside us, but that we must love him. Because, in the heat of battle all we have is all we’ve got. Nobody else can help us except for the people on the field. Not the “experts” who rank us according to their own knowledge of the game, not the parents who know exactly what to do in all situations, not the cheerleaders, or the fans. Eleven people have to decide that nothing will keep them from victory. I believe that willpower has incredible strength. Eleven people that believe wholeheartedly that they will win a game can never be beaten. To win in this game there is no room for fear. It is said that soldiers going into war fight for their country, for their beliefs, and for their own lives. Then, when they leave the battle field, they leave having fought for the man next to them. In football it is impossible to be perfect in the most literal sense of the word. It is, in fact, very possible to have perfect love. Perfect love is being able to look the man beside you in the eye and, with all your heart, tell him that you did all you could possibly do to help the team win the game. When the season is over and the seniors hang up there pads for the last time, it is sometimes said by those who haven’t had this experience that the kids got a lot of great memories and that is all. This is very far from the truth. After devoting so much time to this sport a man acquires much more than memories. He learns that it is possible to love another man. He learns that a group of people that have no blood relation can become a family. He learns how to trust and how to fight for those that he loves. He learns discipline, pride, selflessness, and honor. In all, one who takes these lessons to heart becomes a better man.

-anonymous

that's so true i'm told

run_n_hit
10-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Great Post!!!!!!!

Bullaholic
10-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Football is a microcosm of life. That is one of the central themes expressed in this statement.

"People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society."

---V.Lombardi

handNthedirt
10-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Everything I ever learned, I learned on the football field...except how to treat a lady, cook, drive an automobile, write a check...hell, forget it.

handNthedirt
10-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Everything I ever learned, I learned on the football field...except how to treat a lady, cook, drive an automobile, write a check...hell, forget it. Great post!

44INAROW
10-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Everything I ever learned, I learned on the football field...except how to treat a lady,
I will have to agree with that

handNthedirt
10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Are you out to get me now? As of now, I'm guessing you are female, which would make the young boy at sonic very normal, and very gentlemanly of him. I'm sorry for any distress that may have been caused by my foolishness.

BrahmaMom
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
What a great summary. The parents watch their children become men on the football field; they learn to let go and understand that there is no way to help them do what they have to do. The bond between players is unbelievable. I am very proud of all my sons and love them dearly. The three that play football have had or will have the experience described and that is a gift money can't buy. It is easy to win, but oh so tough to lose. When the whole town is behind a team, as it is in 3A football, the love and drive and support is heightened so that everyone comes out a winner. What a great sport!

GreenMonster
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
nice post

BMOC
10-20-2005, 01:12 PM
:clap: :clap: That is true, sure does touch the heart. Great Post.

LHMom
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I only have 2 sons, but they have told me many times that every other player on the team is their brother. I am sure I can never understand the bond that is built between these kids that work so hard and spend so many hours together as a team, but I know it is strong and long-lasting.

Fish's mom
10-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Wonderful post. Printing it out if I can figure out how to. But I also believe that's what it's like when you're any part of a team whether on a field or not. Working to achieve a goal and know everyone gave their all. This is how I felt after I finished bootcamp years ago. Never so proud, happy,complete yet sad at the same time.