PDA

View Full Version : Penn Running Back Commits Suicide

TxRedneck13
10-12-2005, 01:23 PM
PHILADELPHIA (Oct. 12) - Two days after one of the best games of his career, Penn running back Kyle Ambrogi committed suicide, the university and police said.

The 21-year-old senior, who died at his suburban Havertown home Monday, had been battling depression, the Daily News reported Wednesday, quoting the player's family.

"I knew my brother had been having some problems," Ambrogi's brother, Greg, a sophomore defensive back on the team, told the paper. "I thought he was getting better. I can't believe it happened. I can't cry yet."

Haverford Township police chief Gary Hoover told The Associated Press that Ambrogi's gunshot death wasn't being investigated as a criminal matter.

Quakers coach Al Bagnoli called the player "one of our shining lights."

"Kyle was a remarkable young man, a true scholar-athlete, an ambassador for Penn, a tremendous teammate and leader on and off the field, as well as a caring and outstanding brother," he said. "His loss will be felt for a long time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this time."

The brothers had a big day Saturday in Penn's 53-7 rout of Bucknell. Kyle, a backup, carried five times for 18 yards and two third-quarter touchdowns. Greg scored a touchdown after recovering a fumbled snap in the second quarter.

"Afterward that's all everybody was talking about," Greg said. "How great it was that we, as brothers, got to score in the same game and did so on different sides of the ball. It was awesome."

Donna Ambrogi, the brothers' mother, said she was proud of Kyle not only for his accomplishments but for how he mentored Greg.

"He was the perfect son," she said.

10/12/05 13:34 EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2005, 01:29 PM
wow.... sad news..

ML05
10-12-2005, 01:32 PM
That really is a sad thing to hear. Sometimes things like that happen when no one expects it. It's a shame. Prayers to his family and friends...