PDA

View Full Version : DMN: How 12-0 UT could miss BCS title game

3afan
10-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Perfect mess: How 12-0 UT could miss title game
10:54 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Now that Mack Brown has exacted some retribution, making it plausible to believe once more in the cycle of life and that all things must come to pass, even the Cowboys, you're tempted to think this must be Texas' time.

Big win over Oklahoma. Even bigger one on the road against Ohio State.

All that's between Texas and the Rose Bowl: only Colorado and Texas Tech and whoever gets served up in the Big 12 title game.

And what happens? The computers are still booting up, but it looks as if the Longhorns could be sixth in their third of the formula when the BCS rankings come out next week.

Who's in front with the geeks? Probably Penn State, USC, Florida State, Virginia Tech, maybe even Georgia.

But what about the so-called human polls? They count for two-thirds in the BCS formula. Can't Texas get some satisfaction there?

Probably. But even if the Longhorns are second or third, what if the human element proves all too human later on?

What if voters recall Brown's public appeals for his team late last season and Texas' subsequent surge in the polls, cutting out Cal and whipping up Brown's critics?

Could there be payback for Texas? "Absolutely," one prominent former head coach tells me. "Especially on the West Coast."

Or what if it comes down to Texas and Penn State for No. 2? Do you think sentimental voters might like to send Joe Pa into retirement with a national title shot?

Better question: Do you figure national voters want to do Mack Brown any favors?

Of course, that's one of the problems. He shouldn't need a favor. Even if his team never climbed above sixth in the final poll, he'd still have a chance to prove how good it was if we had sense enough for a playoff in Division 1-A football.

But we don't. Voters and computers decide. They'd determine a field if we had a playoff, too, but the candidates would be no fewer than six or eight. And that blanket would cover a scenario still possible this season.

Five teams could conceivably go undefeated. How do you pick just two?

Under the current system, you nitpick. Look for what you don't like instead of what you do. Make as much out of nothing as you can.

Do you go by strength of conference? If you do, Texas loses through no fault of its own. The Big 12 looks as puny as it's ever been. You know it's bad when we're reporting what Oklahoma has to do to salvage a winning season.

Bob Stoops, out of the bowl business? Hardly seems possible. Chances are the Sooners will make it, and Texas had better hope so.

All that's working in the Longhorns' favor now is the combined record of their opponents from here on out: a .733 winning percentage, best among the nine undefeated teams.

Let's say the Horns win out. They've still got to get through another Big 12 championship game.

USC, Penn State and UCLA? They don't have conference title games, meaning one fewer detail to go wrong.

Just another inequity in the BCS system, which has been tweaked more often than Nicollette Sheridan.

All these "improvements" and it still doesn't look any better than the old AP and UPI polls. We just didn't know any better back when we were young and naïve. The world's more demanding now, a world so efficient that you can type in "Mack Brown" and the good people at Google give you 4.2 million matches in .08 seconds, at least by their stopwatch.

OK, so some of the hits are Johnny Mack Brown, the old Western star. No computer's perfect, and maybe that's the point.

No matter what information you feed into these contraptions, how do you quantify one team over another if the schools never play each other?

Common opponents? Quality wins?

Personal dislike of the head coach?

No matter what you say about Mack Brown, and I've criticized him plenty, facts are undeniable: He's won at least nine games every year he's been at Texas, something Stoops will have a hard time matching this year at Oklahoma, and his team's on a roll.

Odds are he could put up Texas' first undefeated season in 36 years. And instead of a national champion, he could be this year's Auburn.

Question: How could we end up in the wrong place two years in a row?

E-mail ksherrington@dallasnews.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. 24 Colorado (4-1, 2-0) at No. 2 Texas (5-0, 2-0), 2:30 p.m. Saturday, (Ch. 8; KSKY-AM 660, KJON-AM 850, KFJZ-AM 870)

AggieJohn
10-12-2005, 07:15 AM
i still think texas fumbles somehow down the road, they were impressive against OU, but you could spot some weaknesses.....however if they do go 12-0 they won't miss a BCS game or the Rose bowl....MackIII will be sure after the A&M game to get on the microphone and cry...be sure of it.....

3afan
10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
just doin' his job ..................

neck_06
10-12-2005, 07:28 AM
if Texas goes 12-0 and misses the National Title Game, i know that there are gonna be alot of people calling for the heads of the nerds running the BCS

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
if Texas goes 12-0 and misses the National Title Game, i know that there are gonna be alot of people calling for the heads of the nerds running the BCS

Texas, SEE: AUBURN... :)

raider red 2000
10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
texas if they go undefeated will get something out of the title.

they will not get screwed like auburn did.

THEY ARE TEXAS.

but i dont think that they will go through undefeated....they will probably play colorado twice and have to beat tech.

now if tech gets lucky and beats UT in 2 weeks and end up undefeated they will get screwed.

but i will be happy just beating the horns :)

KTJ
10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Uhh, who will we fumble against? Baylor? Okie State? A&M?

And what weakness do we have?

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

Im guessing a small stumble vs Tech if anything....

and none that i saw....

and just because they are Texas means crap to the voters from the west Coast, just to let RedRaider know... Auburn got screwed like LSU the year before i believe... and i love how everyone is ALREADY complaining that Texas is going to get screwed...

BMOC
10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
The positive is that TEXAS is #2 in all polls, which helps when it comes to poll averages in the BCS System. But it is scary to know that the Human Value can come into play, and some "sentimental" votes may go to Paterno and his boys. Still alot of football to be played between now and January though. Anything can, (and I am sure will) happen between now and then.

OldBrahma04
10-12-2005, 11:57 AM
In the next 2 weeks there will be alot of change in the BCS anyway. . Expect to see either Cal or Notre Dame upset (if u call it that) USC. I read on the AP poll report that if USC had as much as another close game that UT would be #1 in the AP. Texas is closing the gap. And will continue to close the gap until they do win the national championship.

lostaussie
10-12-2005, 12:42 PM
there is still a whole lot of football to be played. let's let the thing play out before we start bashing anybody.

SnyderMom
10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I say screw USC, they've been there once, and so far this year they haven't quite impressed me. Yes they're undefeated, but that was almost not so.

It should be :

#1 - Texas (only because of their Ohio St. win)
#2 - V. Tech
#3 - USC
#4 - Penn St.
#5 - Georgia...

(Only in my opinion though....if only it counted.)

3afan
10-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SnyderMom
I say screw USC......

wow - not typical "mom speak " ... surprising

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SnyderMom
Yes they're undefeated, but that was almost not so.

how do you feel about cuero being atop the polls then?

SnyderMom
10-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
wow - not typical "mom speak " ... surprising

I'm not a typical mom either. =)

robbo93
10-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Lets not even worry about a title game just the NEXT game

AggieJohn
10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

who will you fumble against....i don't know...i just think that it's been too much of a dream season, something will happen, this is college football...

weaknesses...you have some, d's not as strong as it has been in my opinion in the past years

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
who will you fumble against....i don't know...i just think that it's been too much of a dream season, something will happen, this is college football...

weaknesses...you have some, d's not as strong as it has been in my opinion in the past years

Wow to me the defense is better this year than it has been since at least 2001 when they lost to OU 14-3, and they might even be better than that D.

KTJ
10-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

Dream season implies that we weren't supposed to be ranked #2 and possibly play in the MNC game. If Baylor was ranked #2 and in the same position, then they would be having a "dream season."

Our defensive numbers are better than they were last year. And last year, we had the best defense in the history of the program.

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2005, 10:36 PM
As of right now, UT still owns their destiny. It's been quite a few years since they could say that at this point in the year. Dream season, AJ? Don't be jealous. Heck, I'm not particularly a Horn fan either, but if a Big XII Texas team has a chance to play the NC game, I will be rooting for them, regardless of which team it is.

wildstangs
10-12-2005, 10:37 PM
I think VT will lose one this year. They still have Miami and Maryland left to play.

Tidal Wave
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Texas Tech is the only team that i see that can give the Horns a stumble....and at first i thought that A&M can too because of the rivalry...but if u think about it look at what happened to our bigger rivals(OU)....so yea i dont really see A&M AS much a threat anymore..........but if Texas goes undefeated they will go to the Bowl game..no doubt...peace