PDA

View Full Version : Snyder's Sony Cumbie

injuredinmelee
10-11-2005, 09:58 AM
has signed a two year contract with the Tampa bay Arena League team.

SnyderMom
10-11-2005, 10:00 AM
do you have a link to where you got that info???

just curious to read it...

injuredinmelee
10-11-2005, 10:03 AM
reporternews.com

Snyder_TigerFan
10-11-2005, 10:03 AM
That's excellent news. I wish Sonny the best of luck.

http://www.redraiders.com/stories/101105/foo_101105008.shtml

SnyderMom
10-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Awesome, thank you

BMOC
10-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Way to go Cumbie. Got to see that Kid play a couple of times in HS, then saw him in college. Suprisingly how an NFL team didn't take a chance on him, he has the skills.

Adidas410s
10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Suprisingly how an NFL team didn't take a chance on him, he has the skills.

lol...alright

zeus63
10-11-2005, 12:44 PM
I have to disagree about being pro material, unfortunately. I was a senior at Snyder when Cumbie was a sophmore. I saw him play then and in college and he still has the same problem. HE CAN"T TAKE A HIT. Most would ask, how did he make it through college. Well, when you run a spread offense and give the QB the option to throw it short, he will. Look at Cumbie's stats and see how many passes he completed for over 20-25 yards. He never took any punishment and NFL teams saw it too. Not to be a total downer, I do wish him the best of luck and hopefully after a few years he will get into the NFL.

sweetwater07
10-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Way to go Cumbie. Got to see that Kid play a couple of times in HS, then saw him in college. Suprisingly how an NFL team didn't take a chance on him, he has the skills.

if you say so........

Macarthur
10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
I have to disagree about being pro material, unfortunately. I was a senior at Snyder when Cumbie was a sophmore. I saw him play then and in college and he still has the same problem. HE CAN"T TAKE A HIT. Most would ask, how did he make it through college. Well, when you run a spread offense and give the QB the option to throw it short, he will. Look at Cumbie's stats and see how many passes he completed for over 20-25 yards. He never took any punishment and NFL teams saw it too. Not to be a total downer, I do wish him the best of luck and hopefully after a few years he will get into the NFL.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. You think NFL teams make a judgement on a guy based on how many hits he takes in college? Re-read you post and tell me if you think it makes sense....

zeus63
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
NFL teams look for a guy that has the total package. I'm not saying that they are looking for a guy that is going to stand in the pocket every play and take one for the team. But they, like everyone else that is a coach looks for certain qualities in a QB. One of the qualities a good QB has is toughness, meaning, can he get up after a big hit and keep going. Cumbie has never proven this quality.

Keith7
10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I think the reason why he didn't get a chance in the NFL would be that he doesn't have the arm strength and size.. Although he had GREAT numbers in college, i think most NFL scouts look at that and say he is just a product of the Texas Tech offense, which is true to an extent.. Sonny obviously has the TALENT to play in the NFL or he woudln't have been drafted, and he obviously still has the talent to play pro football or he wouldnt have just got this contract, so you guys who are from sweetwater and abilene wylie who are jealous because a Snyder player had something good happen to them need to think their comments over some more

zeus63
10-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Just for the record, I am an ex- Snyder Tiger. And, just for the record, any QB has the chance to put up big numbers when you throw the ball 60 times a game. I'm not saying that Cumbie is not a good QB, he is just not good enough to be in the NFL, right now. After a few years in the Arena League maybe it will be another story.

zeus63
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I almost forgot. If you have never watched Sonny Cumbie, arm strength is ont one of his downfalls. Size, maybe, but that can be fixed.

Macarthur
10-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
NFL teams look for a guy that has the total package. I'm not saying that they are looking for a guy that is going to stand in the pocket every play and take one for the team. But they, like everyone else that is a coach looks for certain qualities in a QB. One of the qualities a good QB has is toughness, meaning, can he get up after a big hit and keep going. Cumbie has never proven this quality.

In the one year he started at Tech, did he miss any games due to injury?

I don't remember him missing any time. So why would the NFL be concerned about him being able to "take a big hit and keep coming"? If he took a big hit and went to sidelines and never came back, I can understand your statement, maybe.

I guess I just don't understand your thought process. If a guy never missed a game, granted he only started for one year, then how can you say that is the primary reason he's not on an NFL roster? Do you see what I mean about it not making sense?

mustang04
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I think the reason why he didn't get a chance in the NFL would be that he doesn't have the arm strength and size.. Although he had GREAT numbers in college, i think most NFL scouts look at that and say he is just a product of the Texas Tech offense, which is true to an extent.. Sonny obviously has the TALENT to play in the NFL or he woudln't have been drafted, and he obviously still has the talent to play pro football or he wouldnt have just got this contract, so you guys who are from sweetwater and abilene wylie who are jealous because a Snyder player had something good happen to them need to think their comments over some more
keith...ur such a dumb@$$, did u not even read the post zeus had he said he was a senior at snyder when Cumbie was a soph.....learn how to read, besides sweetwater has had their share of pro-football players too, and i commend snyder on cumbie

Keith7
10-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
keith...ur such a dumb@$$, did u not even read the post zeus had he said he was a senior at snyder when Cumbie was a soph.....learn how to read, besides sweetwater has had their share of pro-football players too, and i commend snyder on cumbie

I wasn't talking to zeus

mustang04
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I wasn't talking to zeus

well...how many posters from sweetwater and abilene DID post a reply implying how jealous they were??? 1...2???

Keith7
10-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
well...how many posters from sweetwater and abilene DID post a reply implying how jealous they were??? 1...2???

enough to make me want to point it out

zeus63
10-12-2005, 09:39 AM
That's my point. I guess I just need to go back to the old coach and talk to other coaches like myself that actually understand.