PDA

View Full Version : What is it going to take??? (Braves/Astros)

Gobbla2001
10-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Was watching Around the Horn after work... they sure were rough on the Braves/Astros game last night...

The question was 'Do you believe this was the greatest game ever played'... Now, I have not seen enough MLB games in my day to know it all, and have heard that the '86 game involving the 'Stros/Mets may have been better...

the answers these guys gave was more than a 'No', it was more like a 'Hell no, this game had nothing special to it' type of 'No'...

There were 18 innings (Postseason Record), the game lasted 5 hours and 51 minutes (something like that, Postseason Record), and there were Two grand-slams, one for each team (Postseason record)...

It was a comeback and a game of inches...

Two different times Braves' players missed out because their feet were off of the bag, and not by a lot, one questionable (but the Braves received a break earlier in the game so it should be excused)...

Ausmus' HR touched the yellow line (inches away from being a fair ball, and with two outs, we may have been watching the Astros in Atlanta right now)...

Luke Scott's bomb in the 10th was an inch away from hitting the 'in-play' poll, game could have been over with...

I believe there was 1 available player for both teams (ATL, this of course is not including Oswalt who pitched the night before)...

I do not believe that this is 'for sure' the greatest game ever played, because I just do not know... But with all that I have mentioned, why, oh why, is it not being taken seriously?

What I think???

It didn't involve a Yankee or Red Sox team...

If it would have, it would have been the first topic on Around the Horn today... Instead it was the 3rd topic, behind the Angels and Yankees (surprise surprise) and the NFC East, maybe even throw in NFC Central, they may have discussed that one before the big game, I forget...

But, I aint gunna complain... we've got something they do not... class...

LogieJoeBean001
10-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Excellent post. As hard as it to admit the 'Stros are certainly snubbed by many. Guess they'll just have to go on and win it all so then maybe they will be the FIRST story mentioned for a change.

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Yanks losing 2-4....WOOHOO!!!!!! Anyways...yah what a BORING game that was....geezzzzzzzzz....total waste of air time....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GO STROS GO!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2005, 08:48 PM
HA !! Yankess are losing all their composure........LOVES IT!!!! :eek: :D

Gobbla2001
10-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Win or lose, the Yankees will cause this series to be talked about until the ACLS begins...

crabman
10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I did not think it was that great while I was watching it because it was not a see-saw game. Braves got out to a big lead and the Astros caught up and then took forever to put it away. I just did not get that feeling like I got in '86. That was a series. The greatest I have ever seen

sahen
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
they wont consider it a great game yet for 2 reasons....the main one being that most sports writers dont believe the astros r going to beat the cardinals....i know they say we have the pitching and all but back them in a corner and they think the cardinals will win, apparantly they think they are on a mission from God or something....the 2nd reason is that there was no scoring after the 9th....i believe that Mets/Astros games in the 80s had a couple scores inbetween the 9th and the end of the game....people that do not watch baseball all the time or have an emotional investment in a game like that, hate the no scoring stuff....they dont look at it like "wow there was some great pitching" they look at it like "wow those offenses suck, what a drag...the cards will blast both these teams".......now if the astros go on to win the world series then the game w/ the braves will increase in greatness.....we will just have to wait and see.....

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, it was a nail biter to me!!!! Braves fans prob won't agree..... :p :D

Gobbla2001
10-10-2005, 09:01 PM
That's another reason why I liked the game, great pitching... I won't lie, I was wishing it was over with at the time, but after the game I was like 'wow, I get to tell my children and grandchildren one day I watched the longest game in postseason history'...

It was just amazing to me... The Braves bullpen was supposed to suck, but they looked pretty good, and Wheeler did a beautiful job for the 'Stros and it was closed out with 3 solid innings of pitching by a future hall-of-famer who wasn't ready to pitch that day and who had pitched a poor game a few nights before...

Pmoney
10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
IMO it WAS the GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED

Leopards,class of 75
10-10-2005, 10:42 PM
What more could you ask for in a playoff game??? I could not get away from this game, sad that someone had to lose it. But at the same time I am glad that the Astros won the game. It makes you wonder how much better they would be with Jeff Bagwell healthy and Carlos Beltron still on the team. Still with all that said, I like the Astros chances playing the Cardinals.

spiveyrat
10-11-2005, 07:52 AM
I thought it was a great game! :clap:

AggieJohn
10-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by sahen
they wont consider it a great game yet for 2 reasons....the main one being that most sports writers dont believe the astros r going to beat the cardinals....i know they say we have the pitching and all but back them in a corner and they think the cardinals will win, apparantly they think they are on a mission from God or something....the 2nd reason is that there was no scoring after the 9th....i believe that Mets/Astros games in the 80s had a couple scores inbetween the 9th and the end of the game....people that do not watch baseball all the time or have an emotional investment in a game like that, hate the no scoring stuff....they dont look at it like "wow there was some great pitching" they look at it like "wow those offenses suck, what a drag...the cards will blast both these teams".......now if the astros go on to win the world series then the game w/ the braves will increase in greatness.....we will just have to wait and see.....

i think shane has a point, unless this game makes them so confident and they win the series against the cards then this game will only be a good one for recent memory

shellman54
10-11-2005, 08:19 AM
I dislike both of those guys, and I really dislike Sklip Bayless. He hates anything that has to do with Texas. Still waiting for the first smart comment to come out of his mouth.........

AggieJohn
10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by shellman54
I dislike both of those guys, and I really dislike Sklip Bayless. He hates anything that has to do with Texas. Still waiting for the first smart comment to come out of his mouth......... maybe he still thinks that New York a great state

big daddy russ
10-11-2005, 11:33 AM
I think Houston has a great chance against St. Louis. Their offense is underrated because their top slugger was injured most of the year and "only" came up with 24 dingers and 82 RBI in 132 games, most of which he was plagued with injury. Between Berkman, Ensberg and Bagwell (maybe he'll return) you have three legit 35-homer guys. Tack on two more guys with 25-homer power (Lane and Biggio)... that's a pretty potent lineup any way you look at it. Heck, you could take Bags out of the equation and it's still not an easy lineup for a pitcher to face, especially if they keep playing like they did the second half of the year.

Bull's-eye
10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Bagwell can only pinch hit or DH. He can't throw the ball because of his injury.