PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Game of the Week (7): Gonzales @ Yoakum

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
District 26 has the Gonzales (whatever your mascot is ;) ) Apaches vs the Yoakum Bulldogs. Both teams are 1-0 in district play and fighting for a playoff spot. Gonzales has an overall record of 3-3, while Yoakum is 2-4.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Necked
10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Two meh teams playing in a blah game, but boy is the result is gonna ripple all the way through regionIV....

I'll leave the game analysis to those with more insight into these two teams, but the result of this game will most likely result in these playoff matchups:

A Yoakum win:

Div I ==> Columbia vs Cuero

Div II ==> Wharton vs Yoakum
Sweeny/Stafford vs Halletsville

A Gonzales win:

Div I ==> Columbia vs Gonzales

Div II ==> Wharton vs Halletsville
Sweeny/Stafford vs Cuero

So in summary, the real point of this game is which bracket the top ranked Gobblers will end up in.........

Gobbla2001
10-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Yoakum will give Gonzales a good game from what I know of Gonzales, but I think right now I'd go with Gonzo based on skill players, Yoakum based on coaching... could be a very close game... tough for me to pick... I just wouldn't count out Yoakum just yet...

RoTexRider3
10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yoakum will give Gonzales a good game from what I know of Gonzales, but I think right now I'd go with Gonzo based on skill players, Yoakum based on coaching... could be a very close game... tough for me to pick... I just wouldn't count out Yoakum just yet...

I watched Gonzales and they have no talent! Their Qb runs about a 5.2 and starts at corner. They beat Luling on tournovers for touchdowns because Luling only gave up 126 total yards to Gonzales. Yoakum will smash Gonzales and make the playoffs!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Talent not the only way to win games. Turnover ratio and execution from off/def lines can win games also, as not every team can rely on talent to win like Cuero:) The team with the best turnover ratio wins this game!

pancho villa
10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Go Apaches beat Yoakum any way you can.

scrub c
10-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Good luck Gonzales, I have been pulling for you ALL YEAR ! ! !

NateDawg39
10-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I see a close game between these two teams. Gonzales wont go down that easy

neck_06
10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
GO GONZALES!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoTexRider3
10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
GO GONZALES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Scrub C
Good luck Gonzales, I have been pulling for you ALL YEAR ! ! !

Originally posted by pancho villa
Go Apaches beat Yoakum any way you can.

I think them Roughnecks are scared of them Gobblers for some reason!

Necked
10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Its more a question of fair than it is fear. Think about it this way. Cuero bust its butt all year long to have the best record in its district, and gets rewarded by playing Columbia in the 1st round? Wouldn't it be more fair to play your starters in an easier game for 3 qrts against, say, Sweeny, then it is to risk getting a starter hurt in 4 qtrs against Columbia?
I would love to play them again, just not in the 1st round, that just ain't right for either team...its that flaw in the current playoff system that forces both teams to root for an otherwise forgettable Gonzales.......

SintonFan_inAustin
10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
They should just put everybody into the same playoff brackets like basketball and baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Gobbla2001
10-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree, it does suck to have two top teams in the state playing in the first round of the playoffs... that is a flaw... but if it happens, so be it I guess... rather play the best I guess...

Necked
10-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't think there is a totally feasable playoff solution. Nomatter if 1, 2, or 3 teams are in the playoffs, someone allways gets screwed. Always have been, always will be. 4 teams in would probably be the best way to divide up the brackets, but too many crappy teams would get in, and thats kinda repugnent to most people, me included. All you can do is play your best, and do crazy things like pull for Gonzales to help you out.........

LogieJoeBean001
10-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by RoTexRider3
I think them Roughnecks are scared of them Gobblers for some reason!

YA THINK? Yeah, they know deep down inside, though they would never admit it, that'd it'd probably be all over except for the sad music and the shuffling of the feet if they have to meet Cuero in the first round.

Question...what makes you think Cuero can't handle Columbia and why do you think their starters would "get hurt"? Are you saying Columbia TRIES to take other teams players out? Not very sporting if that is the case. Don't mean to offend anyone, this is just the way it sounded when I read the post by Necked.

pancho villa
10-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by LogieJoeBean001
YA THINK? Yeah, they know deep down inside, though they would never admit it, that'd it'd probably be all over except for the sad music and the shuffling of the feet if they have to meet Cuero in the first round.

Question...what makes you think Cuero can't handle Columbia and why do you think their starters would "get hurt"? Are you saying Columbia TRIES to take other teams players out? Not very sporting if that is the case. Don't mean to offend anyone, this is just the way it sounded when I read the post by Necked.

You are one strange bird.

scrub c
10-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by LogieJoeBean001

And I guarntee Wharton's players and coaches feel the EXACT same way.

And all this from the team that got whipped by WC last year and the same team that got whipped in the first round by Yoakum...(who WC has NEVER lost to)

by the way, how many playoff games has Wharton won... EVER ? ? ?

neck_94
10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by scrub c

by the way, how many playoff games has Wharton won... EVER ? ? ?

I know the answer... do you ???

scrub c
10-12-2005, 08:45 AM
yes, actually I do know.

neck_94
10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
i think the tigers have a state championship in football

neck_06
10-12-2005, 08:58 AM
did some research, not many W's for Wharton when it comes to be playoff time

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

hata_hurta06
10-12-2005, 09:02 AM
What does wharton's past have to do with this week!?!

raider red 2000
10-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
did some research, not many W's for Wharton when it comes to be playoff time

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

i did some quick research....could be inaccurate.

since 1995:

WC has made the playoffs 3 times. and has 2 wins.
WHS has made the playoffs 4 times has 2 wins.

04-
both made it...both lost 1st round

WHS beat cuero 1st round...lost to Burnett 2nd round
WC at home

WC- won the first 2 rounds.
WHS- lost second round

01-
Both at home

2000-
both lost 1st round.

95-99-
both start basketball early...no playoffs

THIS COULD BE INACCURATE....please dont slam me for lack or research skills.

I have also heard that wharton has a state championship back in the day. long long time ago.

good luck to both teams on an injury free game.

neck_94
10-12-2005, 09:12 AM
nothing

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2005, 09:24 AM
http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hijacked2.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/offtopic.gif

scrub c
10-12-2005, 09:31 AM
yeah, I did that. sorry

not much response from the Gonzales/Yoakum crowd.

I think this "game of the week" thread should have been :

WHARTON @ WEST COLUMBIA
but its too late for that now...

raider red 2000
10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
scrub i agree with you.

i wonder if LH mom could make us a game of the week B game or something...so that we dont have to hijack the thread :)

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
yeah, I did that. sorry

not much response from the Gonzales/Yoakum crowd.

I think this "game of the week" thread should have been :

WHARTON @ WEST COLUMBIA
but its too late for that now...

No, the Region IV game of the week IS . . .

drum roll please...

GONZALES vs YOAKUM

if Gonzales wins, Wharton gets that rematch with Cuero they SO desperately want.

Go Gonzales ;) :p

pancho villa
10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
The JV game of the week.

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
scrub i agree with you.

i wonder if LH mom could make us a game of the week B game or something...so that we dont have to hijack the thread :)

WHS/WC (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=35107)

scrub c
10-12-2005, 10:08 AM
excellent :)

bd62
10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
since i am from yoakum i will add a few comments. no doubt why this is region 4 game of the week. it probably decides whether cuero is d1 or d2.
yoakum schedule was a killer for a team that had 22 seniors last year and talent level down this year. the kids play hard and are well coached so they did not give up. they have rebounded with 2 wins over teams closer to there talent level.
gonzales started fast with wins over somerset and elgin. upset by lagrange and then beat by an excellent belville team. they started dist. with a win over luling. they have a excellent passing q.b. in cozier . smith is a good running back and they have a good reciever in david startett.(probably misspelled) .these 3 have been starters for 3 yrs. and are the heart of there team.
the gonzales -yoakum game usually goes down to the wire. this year should be no different. i look for a hard fought game that will be decided in 4th q.

LogieJoeBean001
10-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

I have also heard that wharton has a state championship back in the day. long long time ago.

I did some research too and Wharton did have a state championship in 1950 as a 1a team. They played a team from Kermit. I did a search for West Columbia also...WC went to the state championship game once as a 3a team in 1969 and lost to Brownwood 34 - WC 16.

And no, this has nothing at all to do with this Friday, just responding to the comment about Wharton never winning a playoff game.

scrub c
10-12-2005, 10:51 AM
some good insight to this game -- thanks bd62

gobbler grad
10-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Gonzales will edge the Bulldawgs in a hard fought battle, 21-17...

GO APACHES... :cheerl: :cheerl:

underware
10-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I"ll take Yoakum in a squeaker. They've won the last two games without being scored on. That was a big boost to the Bulldogs. I see it continuing. Good luck Yoakum.

Phantom Stang
10-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm rooting for Gonzales simply because I'd like to see Sweetwater play Cuero.

Phantom Stang
10-13-2005, 10:00 AM
I meant that as a sincere compliment to Cuero.