PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (7): Vernon @ Iowa Park

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2005, 06:31 PM
District 5 match-up between Vernon Lions and Iowa Park Hawks. The Hawks have been struggling of late, their only win coming over a month ago. The Lions have done better with a 3-3 record, winning the last two. The one common pre-district opponent is Wichita Falls, IP losing 14-35 and Vernon losing 24-35.

Thoughts? Predictions?

GreenMonster
10-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Rivalry game, all bets out the window. These 2 schools are a little down this year but expect a barn burner as there is no love lost between the Hawks and Lions. Iowa Park gets off the L Train and pulls out a close one 24-21 to make things really interesting in District 5.

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Rivalry game, all bets out the window. These 2 schools are a little down this year but expect a barn burner as there is no love lost between the Hawks and Lions. Iowa Park gets off the L Train and pulls out a close one 24-21 to make things really interesting in District 5. It's an easy win for Vernon........ :hand:

RMAC
10-10-2005, 08:59 PM
I've gotta say Vernon because IP just hasn't been able to get it going this year.

VWG
10-10-2005, 09:00 PM
After Breckenridge put up 30 on the Hawks in the first half of last weeks game it's hard to pick the Hawks. Vernon doesn't throw that much, but they've got a pretty solid running game.
From what I have been told... Vernon's defensive front is pretty solid, and they have a good middle LB. IP will have to win this one through the air, and they've been inconsistent with Riley at QB this year.
Tough to call...... big rivalry game. May have to make the drive and see this one myself.

Pmoney
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
this is just a ? how can sweetwater vs snyder not be the game of the week???

RMAC
10-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney

Because LHPM said that dist. 4 couldn't have 3 of the 5 region 1 games of the week and last week Greenmonster asked for it. I mean, yes, S-water and Snyder will be good, but IP and Vernon will be just as emotional as there is no lost between these 2 teams.

Steer Fever
10-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Vernon 35
IP - 14

Could be worse... Hawks just dont seem to be working together this year....

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney

Just trying to spread it around. ;)

HighSchool Fan
10-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Just trying to spread it around. ;)

can gainesville have the game of the week next week :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-12-2005, 10:46 AM
My thoughts on this one. (For what they are worth I have no idea)

Vernon has a solid team. They are going to run FB trap over and over until IP stops it, then they will throw in some sweeps with #20 who has speed and size. Then they will run the option and then maybe go a little wild and do a roll out pass to the TE and pick up about 10 yards. Then back to the FB trap because the Hakws defense is walking out to stop the sweep. This is Vernon's game plan. They have speed just like Old High so if the Hawks miss a tackle the RB is gone for the TD. They also have very good special teams so watch out they may pop the weasel there too.

IP has had a heck of a bad year so far. I haven't seen them play so it is hard to guage them. But I did listen to the IP/ Breck game on the radio last week. Ok from I what I heard and know of IP they will try every trick play & misdirection there is trying to get an aggressive defense to lose contain or line up wrong. They will be successful on a couple of these and catch Vernon. The passing game is not working as well as last year. However, the Hawks may find some success like Wylie and Clyde did. But you know the saying 3 things can happen when you throw it and 2 of them are bad! The Hawk running game is not as good as last year without Swenson. But IP will score several times. Vernon will end up winning this game. It could be by 1 or it could be by 21 just never know when these two teams get together.

The only thing that concerns me is Vernon has no deep threat like Breck. So IP will have all 11 in the box.

I will say 28-21 Vernon

I will also be at the game so if you want to do a meet and greet let me know.

Z~

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
The one common pre-district opponent is Wichita Falls, IP losing 14-35 and Vernon losing 24-35.

Thoughts? Predictions?

They also had a common opponent in Burkburnett. IP lost that one and Vernon beat them. (Not that it matters).

Macarthur
10-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I would love to find a way to pick the Hawks, but I just can't. If they play mistake free, maybe. I think the 28-21 Vernon is a good guess.

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
They also had a common opponent in Burkburnett. IP lost that one and Vernon beat them. (Not that it matters).

:( Sorry that I missed that one.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I would love to find a way to pick the Hawks, but I just can't. If they play mistake free, maybe. I think the 28-21 Vernon is a good guess.

It is always a good game no matter the records.

VERNONLION#1
10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
It is
always a good game no matter the records.

Hey Z,
Let me know and vice versa if anyone wants to do a meet and greet. I think it would be nice to meet some fellow downlowers. I think Vernon wins by 7.

sweetwater07
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
WOW ...these two crappy teams are the game of the week.....gotta be kidding me!!!!! How about a good game that actually will be worth watching......Like Sweetwater at Snyder!!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
WOW ...these two crappy teams are the game of the week.....gotta be kidding me!!!!! How about a good game that actually will be worth watching......Like Sweetwater at Snyder!!!!

We've had this discussion a couple of times already. :rolleyes:

RMAC
10-12-2005, 10:57 PM

Hey 07, yank your head out of the sand and realize that there are other kids that play high school football here in 3A and they all work just as hard as the high and mighty sweetwater mustangs, no matter what the record. Look at it this way: When Army plays Navy, it's not gonna get a lot of press because they rarely field national caliber teams, but it always means a lot to the players and fans of those particular schools. Same for Vernon and IP. I don't go to either of those schools, but I know that it will be a good game. So just remember, Sweetwater is only one school out of Lord knows how many that play 3A football, and that while Sweetwater-Snyder might have better teams playing, it does not mean that it will be the better game .

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-13-2005, 10:53 AM

Remember 2003 sweetwater07? That was the last time the crappy Lions played the mighty Mustangs. I can't recall who won that game, maybe you can tell me???

GreenMonster
10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Tell him Z. I'd be up for a halftime meet and greet. There's a pretty good spot on the east end of the stadium by the ticket booth. Easy to find because it is right under the flags.

pero chato
10-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Remember 2003 sweetwater07? That was the last time the crappy Lions played the mighty Mustangs. I can't recall who won that game, maybe you can tell me???

OOPS! Well, Sweetwater07 is obviously a kid with no sense of history or tradition in regards to other programs. His entire world is Sweetwater and that's OK for him, but the rest of us have a bit of a broader view of Texas football, although I will admit I prefer the West Texas region.
The Vernon/IP game will be every bit as intense and exciting as Sweetwater/Snyder. I love those games where win/loss records are thrown out and the kids play with everything they have.
Good luck to both teams, but my pick is Vernon by 7.

TheDOCTORdre
10-14-2005, 09:46 AM
hey Z I know that sweetwater07 is probably some idiot running his mouth but did u really have to bring up that game on 2003 that was my last game.:(

mudcat
10-14-2005, 11:16 AM
lions 34 @ IP 0 :D

mudcat
10-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Tell him Z. I'd be up for a halftime meet and greet. There's a pretty good spot on the east end of the stadium by the ticket booth. Easy to find because it is right under the flags.

OK

fury900
10-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by mudcat
OK

ok

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
hey Z I know that sweetwater07 is probably some idiot running his mouth but did u really have to bring up that game on 2003 that was my last game.:(

Sorry about that I'll be good! I really like the Mustangs and think that you guys have a great shot at the title this year (Hoping everyone gets healthy).

I have some pics from the (Vernon Swater) game. Are you in this one? Sorry so big I don't know how to resize it.

http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/swaterandvernon.jpg

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Ok then -- meet on the East side by the ticket booth! Hope to see everyone there!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Ok since I'm posting pictures. I couldn't help but put one up of Z Jr making a textbook tackle!

http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/matthsu4.JPG

Da Mules
10-14-2005, 11:56 AM
can gainesville have the game of the week next week

Nope, It's gonna be da Mules vs Lubbock Cooper Pirates; winner takes 2-3a and the best playoff spot :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Nope, It's gonna be da Mules vs Lubbock Cooper Pirates; winner takes 2-3a and the best playoff spot :D

That will be a great game!

Da Mules
10-14-2005, 01:58 PM
That will be a great game!

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but should be two smash-mouth running teams who can also whup a 10-40 yard pass on ya in a New York minute..

I'm a homer on the Lions-Hawks cause I lived in BigV for about 10 years, and my wife graduated from there.

SOOO...... GO GET 'EM LIONS

GreenMonster
10-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Don't wanna hijack the thread, but should be two smash-mouth running teams who can also whup a 10-40 yard pass on ya in a New York minute..

I'm a homer on the Lions-Hawks cause I lived in BigV for about 10 years, and my wife graduated from there.

SOOO...... GO GET 'EM LIONS

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! HaHa, I lived in the Big V for a coupla years myself while attending VRJC in the mid 90's. Had a great time and made a lot of good friends and met a ton of nice people. Regardless of what happens on the field, Vernon is a classy place full of good people. Hope everyone has a safe drive and is treated to one heck of a football game.