PDA

View Full Version : Best Program In 3A?

Bullaholic
10-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I think the best all-around athletic program in 3A right now has to be the Bulldogs of Abilene Wylie. Twice in the last 2 football seasons they have met and beaten "destiny" teams like Decatur and Sweetwater, and keep on winning. I'm not a homer, but over the past few years I have seen Wylie excel in nearly every category of 3A athletic competition, including a state football championship, and I think it is noteworthy when a school has that kind of athletic success. I think Wylie is becoming the Celina of 3A. I'm sure there will be a "firestorm" of debate on this---this is just one old guy's opinion, but I just felt compelled to recognize excellence. I'm sure there are others. Let's hear about em'.

HighSchool Fan
10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
you know i'm a homer, gainesille has won state in football and been to austin in basketball 4 times and won state once, all of this since 2000. they also have a state powerlifting champion and state runner up powerlifter during this time.

District303aPastPlayer
10-10-2005, 10:39 AM
if they win the state title this year... i will give you the Celina of 3A arguement... but until then, yes, they are a great program. no counterpoints here...

Bullaholic
10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
you know i'm a homer, gainesille has won state in football and been to austin in basketball 4 times and won state once, all of this since 2000. they also have a state powerlifting champion and state runner up powerlifter during this time.

HSF, there is no doubt that Gainesville is among the premier athletic programs, but I am just impressed by Wylie's athletic achievement litany in all sports--boys and girls, year in-year out.

Brahmasportsfan
10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Bellville ranked 8th in the state in football, and 2nd in volleyball. Can anyone beat that?

KTJ
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Gainesville was state runner ups in Track three years ago as well.

Adidas410s
10-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Since 2000, Wylie has the following:

Football
State Finals in 2000, Semifinals in 2003, State Champs in 2004

Basketball
State Finals in 2001 (girls), have also had girls go to regional tourney 1 other time and boys at regional tourney 2 times.

Baseball
Regional Finals in 2001, State Semifinals in 2002, Regional Semis in 2003

Team Tennis
State Finalists 2000, 2001, 2003
State Champs 2002, 2004

Individual Tennis
Boys Doubles Champs 2000
Boys Singles Champs 2001
Girls Doubles Champs 2003, 2004
Girls Singles Champs 2004
Also had numerous other participants at the state tourney

Boys Track
State Champs 2001

Girls Track
Multiple individual and relay qualifiers...including state champ in 100 hurdles in 2003

Golf
Boys State Runner-Up 2000
Boys Individual State Champ 2003
Don't remember on golf right now but they had a streak of 13 or 14 years straight where the girls advanced to state that ended in 2002.

BullFrog Dad
10-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Since 2000, Wylie has the following:

Football
State Finals in 2000, Semifinals in 2003, State Champs in 2004

Basketball
State Finals in 2001 (girls), have also had girls go to regional tourney 1 other time and boys at regional tourney 2 times.

Baseball
Regional Finals in 2001, State Semifinals in 2002, Regional Semis in 2003

Team Tennis
State Finalists 2000, 2001, 2003
State Champs 2002, 2004

Individual Tennis
Boys Doubles Champs 2000
Boys Singles Champs 2001
Girls Doubles Champs 2003, 2004
Girls Singles Champs 2004
Also had numerous other participants at the state tourney

Boys Track
State Champs 2001

Girls Track
Multiple individual and relay qualifiers...including state champ in 100 hurdles in 2003

Golf
Boys State Runner-Up 2000
Boys Individual State Champ 2003
Don't remember on golf right now but they had a streak of 13 or 14 years straight where the girls advanced to state that ended in 2002. Dang, Bullaholic wasn't kidding!!! Instead of Abilene Wylie being the Celina of 3A it's more like the SL Carroll of 3A.

Adidas410s
10-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Dang, Bullaholic wasn't kidding!!! Instead of Abilene Wylie being the Celina of 3A it's more like the SL Carroll of 3A.

as a side note, I did not include the 15-20 kids that usually qualify for region in track nor that the golf teams qualify for region every year. Also, the tennis team typically fills 9-12 of the available 12 spots at region for our district each year. I know the softball team has been doing better and has made the playoffs the last two years but I did not include this. Also, the soccer teams (they started playing in 2002 i think!) have qualified for the playoffs and won a few rounds but it is in 4A (since 3A does not have soccer) so I did not include that either.

HighSchool Fan
10-10-2005, 12:28 PM
i wonder how many 3a teams play soccer. gainesville and wylie are the only one's i'm aware of but i'd bet there's more. anyone know for sure??

GS#17
10-10-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't know how many 3A soccer teams there are statewide, but I can tell you there are not a whole lot in the Golden Triangle area. Hardin-Jefferson plays soccer and usually has a pretty good team. West Orange-Stark had a soccer team since 89, but last year they didn't have enough players to field a team, so they cancelled the season. I think they might resume play this year, though.

Stownhorse
10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Abilene Wylie is a 4A team guys! Yall didnt know that?? They have been 4A forever, yet they are still in 3A. Kinda wierd...:thinking:

garageoffice
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i wonder how many 3a teams play soccer. gainesville and wylie are the only one's i'm aware of but i'd bet there's more. anyone know for sure??

Kennedale plays soccer. I don't know how well they've done, although I know they mostly played larger schools the past couple of years because there weren't many 3A teams around.

Ranger Mom
10-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
Kennedale plays soccer. I don't know how well they've done, although I know they mostly played larger schools the past couple of years because there weren't many 3A teams around.

Wow!! I guess the old adage "you learn something new everyday" IS true! I didn't know ANY 3A teams had soccer!

Gobbler Fan
10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Cuero was considering soccer but the cost and having to travel way South to play was enormous .Cuero by the way has one of the better Youth Soccer Programs around and that includes the Victoria area the select teams have won many many Tournaments in all area's San Antonio , , Corpus Christi , the funniest story ive heard was when our girls 10-12 soccer team was kicked out of the Victoria soccer League halfway thru the season for beating the Victoria girls with scores like 10-0 over and over The excuse was Cuero was playing a select Team in League play . The truth of the matter was we had only one girls team everyone who signed up played .Another Story is we sent a traveling team of 10-12 yo girls and boy's mixed team to a Victoria boy's Tourny only to find out in the Championship game the Team we were playing consisted of 12-14 yo from Corpus who were allowed to play in our classification because they did not have enough teams to form a 12-14 yo division . The final score 4-3 Corpus our mixed team kept up with that all boy's traveling team from Corpus .

VWG
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
The Lone Star Cup standings settles this argument. Year in and year out Canyon High School near Amarillo is the best 3A program.
Check the past 4 or 5 years and you will see their accomplishments in all sports.
Whenever you talk about athletic programs you have to bring in the whole program.... Volleyball, Football, Basketball, Cross-Country, Baseball, Track, Golf, etc..... and Canyon exceeds every program in the state in the Lone Star Cup standings.

NateDawg39
10-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Ahh yes The Lone Star Cup, Decatur was tied with Graham for 8th place. We have a good soccer program goin on right now as well.

Adidas410s
10-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by VWG
The Lone Star Cup standings settles this argument. Year in and year out Canyon High School near Amarillo is the best 3A program.
Check the past 4 or 5 years and you will see their accomplishments in all sports.
Whenever you talk about athletic programs you have to bring in the whole program.... Volleyball, Football, Basketball, Cross-Country, Baseball, Track, Golf, etc..... and Canyon exceeds every program in the state in the Lone Star Cup standings.

If tennis counted in the standings then Wylie would definitely win due to being in the top 2 in the state in team every year since 2000 along with the numerous individual state titles.

jakarta101
10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
I ahve to go with gainesville as the program to beat.......they always yeild good teams and even more often have excellent athletes......they are one of the most all around athletic teams in texas!

VWG
10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by jakarta101
I ahve to go with gainesville as the program to beat.......they always yeild good teams and even more often have excellent athletes......they are one of the most all around athletic teams in texas!

OK... I will give you football. Basketball too. What about girls volleyball, cross-country, girls basketball, baseball, golf, etc.....?
Don't forget softball!

texasjeremy
10-10-2005, 07:46 PM
I will say Palestine, I believe they made the playoffs in every sport they participated in last season, it helps they have the largest 3A school in the state. State semifinals in football and a state title in boys golf.

Keith7
10-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Gainesville has a great soccer team, they have been ranked in the top 10 in 4a the past 2 years and have been to the playoffs the past 4 seasons

West22
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
barbers hill ranks near the top

Dogman_1969
10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
I've watched Bellville for years and they are tough in all sports year round. In football a "rebuilding year" means 10 or so sophmores on the varsity and going 3 deep into the playoffs in either Div I or II. I can't remember the last time they had a down year and this is another one of those "rebuilding years". I've seen their Girls programs and they are just as strong.

Up until the boys program hit hard time a few years ago this would be hands down La Grange...................

The Streak Continues..............